Ashley Cole

Madmax

• 2 weeks later...

Cole had a shocker of a game. For a team having 70% possession the first overlapping run he made was in the 93rd minute. No wonder he doesnt cross. His attacking play is virtually non existent. Rather have bertrand. Part of the reason why the midfield was congested was because the full backs did not provide width. I hope we get a new lb next season.

Cole had a shocker of a game. For a team having 70% possession the first overlapping run he made was in the 93rd minute. No wonder he doesnt cross. His attacking play is virtually non existent. Rather have bertrand. Part of the reason why the midfield was congested was because the full backs did not provide width. I hope we get a new lb next season.

Agree, he had a bad game (like many others, tbf). He didn't offer nearly enough offensively. But his experience in defense, especially in one-on-ones still edges him past most LBs including Bertrand.

That is why I had mixed feelings when we offered him a new contract. He needs to offer more apart from being a good defender. Look at Gibbs, Evra, Clichy, Enrique, Marcelo, Alaba, Alba, etc list goes on but my point is most fullbacks at big teams are very efficient at going forward and adding more to the attack. They regularly make overlapping runs and support the wingers. Cole just is not able to do this anymore and because of sometimes when we play the trio of Mata, Oscar and Hazard in which none are direct wingers as they like to cut in it would be good to have a fullback down the wings so that they can be looked at for the pass but Cole can't do this and I believe it will be a hindrance this season. Someone like Baines would be perfect here because he is a decent defender and brilliant going forward and probably has one of the best engines for a fullback I have seen.

This is nothing new really. Ashley has offered very little going forward for a few years now. Compare that to somebody like Marcelo, who in the friendly against Madrid spent virtually the entire game in our half causing problems.

If Ashley has a great game nowadays it's when we play very defensively and he just has to worry about marking his opponent and covering his CB ala the Champions League final.

I honestly can't remember the last time I watched a game and thought 'Ashley has done a great job going forward'. It was probably in Carlo's first season, that's how long ago it was.

I really like the kid Shaw at Southampton. The way he carries the ball and beats players, he goes both inside and out and is a real threat. His performance against West Brom on the opening day was brilliant and he won them the game. I really hope he is a Chelsea player in the future.

This is nothing new really. Ashley has offered very little going forward for a few years now. Compare that to somebody like Marcelo, who in the friendly against Madrid spent virtually the entire game in our half causing problems.

If Ashley has a great game nowadays it's when we play very defensively and he just has to worry about marking his opponent and covering his CB ala the Champions League final.

I honestly can't remember the last time I watched a game and thought 'Ashley has done a great job going forward'. It was probably in Carlo's first season, that's how long ago it was.

I really like the kid Shaw at Southampton. The way he carries the ball and beats players, he goes both inside and out and is a real threat. His performance against West Brom on the opening day was brilliant and he won them the game. I really hope he is a Chelsea player in the future.

Yeah I agree with Shaw, fantastic talent, would love him here in a few years. However the contrasting point about Cole is when he did make them runs under Ancelotti is it not ironic that we won the league that season? That is why I think if we are to win the league we need more from our fullbacks like him because both our FB are the same. Also your point about Marcelo. Yes, that is what I feel Cole should do more, not to the same extent but some attacking intent because it gives you more bite and Marcelo attacking instincts got him a goal and proved a valuable asset for them.

Yeah I agree with Shaw, fantastic talent, would love him here in a few years. However the contrasting point about Cole is when he did make them runs under Ancelotti is it not ironic that we won the league that season? That is why I think if we are to win the league we need more from our fullbacks like him because both our FB are the same. Also your point about Marcelo. Yes, that is what I feel Cole should do more, not to the same extent but some attacking intent because it gives you more bite and Marcelo attacking instincts got him a goal and proved a valuable asset for them.

The thing is, Ashley isn't able to do that any more. He has lost a lot of pace and doesn't carry the offensive threat of a Marcelo or Shaw. He's a defensive full-back now and doesn't contribute much going forward besides sporadic decoy runs to open up some space.

I feel we are missing out on having somebody at LB that Hazard can link-up with. Look at the understanding Baines and Pienaar have, it's absolutely tremendous. We don't have that on either flank.

I agree somewhat, but I think you're exaggerating a bit. Ashley had a good game going forward against Hull, for example.