Raheem Sterling

RoyalBlues

The fact you included goalies is eye watering. Anyways... if he's not in the top 10 the fact that he's 20 and knocking on the door of these players

Eden Hazard - 24

Sergio Kun Aguero - 27

David Silva - 29

Alexis Sanchez - 26

Diego Costa - 26

Cesc Fabregas - 28

Nemanja Matic - 25

Yaya Toure - 32

Wayne Rooney - 29

Thibaut Courtois/De Gea - LOL

is an incredible feat in the hardest league world football.

Stop condescending. You can make your point without it. And Thibaut Courtois and David De Gea are the #2 and #3 GKs in the world. There are more players better than Sterling, the likes of Ozil and Mata and Terry etc, but I wouldn't swap De Gea and Courtois for them either.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stop trying to belittle, it's not going to work so long as you are pouting vagueness about players not performing to the best limited view of what a modern winger should be. Robben gets 20 goals. Ronaldo gets 20+ every season. Hazard is in their category in terms of ability and should be getting 20+.

I never said Hazard goal return was poor. I said he could do far better.

I also said that if we sell Hazard, I'd be OK with Sterling to replace him, but having both Hazard and Sterling is a terrible idea. It's like having a Lampard-Gerrard midfield. It's never going to work.

I'm not pulling random gifs, I'm showing you, with proof, of Hazard's lack of goal scoring instinct/desire. Ronaldo or Messi or Robben, who are at times accused of being selfish, slot that chance home. Hazard doesn't have it in him. He's the best player in the EPL, but there are times where he lets himself down by failing to convert chances. I don't want to have two of those in the starting lineup, especially since Matic and Cesc are not going to score more than 5 goals combined in a season.

We scored 73 goals. The year before 72. City scored 103 the year before and 83 last year, and that was a poor return for them. We lack goal scorers. That should be clear. Sterling isn't that.

You should go do some homework... Robben never scored 20 in the league his highest total was 17 and he did that this season... at the age of 31. And Ronaldo is a fucking freak of nature and a natural finisher, you can't assign the same principles to Hazard as you would to Ronaldo that is not only poor but makes me think you have no understanding that human beings possess different qualities.

If you put Hazard and his 19 goals on one flank and you balance it with the speed and trickery of Sterling on the right, you have two guys who command all sorts of attention from the defense and thus gives more space for others to operate. Not to mention he can beat men on his own, like Hazard... and generates loads of scoring chances like Hazard at the age of 20... on Liverpool.

Stop condescending. You can make your point without it. And Thibaut Courtois and David De Gea are the #2 and #3 GKs in the world. There are more players better than Sterling, the likes of Ozil and Mata and Terry etc, but I wouldn't swap De Gea and Courtois for them either.

Keepers have different standards to be judged on than outfield players. And even if you really think Ozil, Mata and whoever else is better than Sterling that fact is all of those players are in their prime years and Sterling is even close to scratching the surface. Is this lost on you? And btw I don't believe Mata or Ozil are better than Sterling... Not in the least.

You should go do some homework... Robben never scored 20 in the league his highest total was 17 and he did that this season... at the age of 31. And Ronaldo is a fucking freak of nature and a natural finisher, you can't assign the same principles to Hazard as you would to Ronaldo that is not only poor but makes me think you have no understanding that human beings possess different qualities.

If you put Hazard and his 19 goals on one flank and you balance it with the speed and trickery of Sterling on the right, you have two guys who command all sorts of attention from the defense and thus gives more space for others to operate. Not to mention he can beat men on his own, like Hazard... and generates loads of scoring chances like Hazard at the age of 20... on Liverpool.

what does that have to do with converting chances? Does Hazard 1v1 vs a keeper and failing to convert mean that's because he's not a "fucking freak of nature"? No. Finishing has nothing to do with being a freak of nature. It's simply a skill.

Arjen Robben scored 17 goals in 21 games. On average he plays about 22 games a season at Bayern. But his goals to game ratio is pretty high, much higher than Hazard.

Defenses don't pay attention to players when the park the bus. It's simply that, parking the bus, taking away space.

It sounds really cool in your head to have two tricky players out wide, but that's only fun for a game or two, but soon the actually football starts, where creating clear cut chances and converting them is all that matters.

Keepers have different standards to be judged on than outfield players. And even if you really think Ozil, Mata and whoever else is better than Sterling that fact is all of those players are in their prime years and Sterling is even close to scratching the surface. Is this lost on you? And btw I don't believe Mata or Ozil are better than Sterling... Not in the least.

But Sterling is not judged on current ability. It's all potential. All his flaws are forgiven because he's 20. Only his strong suits are highlighted and the weaknesses? well, he'll have that sorted when he's 25.

On current form, as is, Ozil, a World Cup winner and a La Liga Champion at Real Madrid, is light years ahead of Sterling. And Juan Mata is in another league technically.

But we are not talking in those terms. We are bringing in Sterling's potential into the equation, in a dream scenario where he's ironed out all his flaws and is ready to go. Because if we were talking about current form, he's not even the best Liverpool player.

what does that have to do with converting chances? Does Hazard 1v1 vs a keeper and failing to convert mean that's because he's not a "fucking freak of nature"? No. Finishing has nothing to do with being a freak of nature. It's simply a skill.

Arjen Robben scored 17 goals in 21 games. On average he plays about 22 games a season at Bayern. But his goals to game ratio is pretty high, much higher than Hazard.

Defenses don't pay attention to players when the park the bus. It's simply that, parking the bus, taking away space.

It sounds really cool in your head to have two tricky players out wide, but that's only fun for a game or two, but soon the actually football starts, where creating clear cut chances and converting them is all that matters.

What? have you ever heard of composure? some possess it others don't or what about decision making? Accuracy? are these things that don't come into play? you think that because a player is 1v1 he should finish like Ronaldo or Messi? lol....

Yes and with Arjen and his high goals to games ratio is his inconsistent playing time due to injuries. The fact is what does it matter if he can score 30 a season when he can only physically play for half of it?

And who are these incredible finishers on the wing(who score more than Hazard's 15) we should be after?

Would love to see that list you come up with... just for shits and giggles of course.

Silva

Aguero

Toure

Dzeko

Bony

RVP

Rooney

DI Maria

Hazard

Costa

Cesc

Oscar

Matic

Willian

Coutinho

Sanchez

Ozil

Santi

Ramsey

Jack

Ox

Giroud

Ericksen

Kane

no defenders/goalies

top 10 dribbler? most definitely.

top 10 player? don't think so

What? have you ever heard of composure? some possess it others don't or what about decision making? Accuracy? are these things that don't come into play? you think that because a player is 1v1 he should finish like Ronaldo or Messi? lol....

Yes and with Arjen and his high goals to games ratio is his inconsistent playing time due to injuries. The fact is what does it matter if he can score 30 a season when he can only physically play for half of it?

And who are these incredible finishers on the wing(who score more than Hazard's 15) we should be after?

Having composure, good decision making, and accuracy = "fucking freak of nature"?

Sergio Aguero is deadly. Diego Costa is deadly. Remy is deadly.

None of them are freaks of nature. It's a skill, that either comes naturally, or can be honed over the years.

And if you don't believe it can, then WTF are we arguing about? Why would we sign Sterling if he can never learn composure, good decision making, and accuary? why are we signing a shoddy player that is doomed to never finish consistently?

As for players who we can sign, Reus is the dream, the only winger I'd spend 40-50m on. He could get 20 goals.

But if we aren't going to spend that much, then I'd rather settle for a winger that can help retain possession and see out games more comfortablly, ala Turan.

But Sterling is not judged on current ability. It's all potential. All his flaws are forgiven because he's 20. Only his strong suits are highlighted and the weaknesses? well, he'll have that sorted when he's 25.

On current form, as is, Ozil, a World Cup winner and a La Liga Champion at Real Madrid, is light years ahead of Sterling. And Juan Mata is in another league technically.

But we are not talking in those terms. We are bringing in Sterling's potential into the equation, in a dream scenario where he's ironed out all his flaws and is ready to go. Because if we were talking about current form, he's not even the best Liverpool player.

I think Sterling is judged on BOTH criteria's current ability AND potential. He scored 7 goals (more than Ozil, DiMaria, Cesc) and 7 assists( same as Silva but more than Ozil, Mata)

Ozil must've won those titles on his own...

you are funny.

I think Sterling is judged on BOTH criteria's current ability AND potential. He scored 7 goals (more than Ozil, DiMaria, Cesc) and 7 assists( same as Silva but more than Ozil, Mata)

Ozil must've won those titles on his own...

you are funny.

Ozil missed half the season. Mata was in and out of the team. Meanwhile, Sterling was the focal point of everything Liverpool tried to do. He played as a winger and as a striker, so comparing his goal scoring to Cesc is reaching, and also not Cesc's strong suit.

No, Ozil didn't win it on his own, but he was a big part of that team. Stop trying to belittle one player's achievement to make your preferred player look better.

Ozil is an incredible player, and if he had a proper manager unlike Wenger, he wouldn't be playing on the wings like he has been.

Having composure, good decision making, and accuracy = "fucking freak of nature"?

Sergio Aguero is deadly. Diego Costa is deadly. Remy is deadly.

None of them are freaks of nature. It's a skill, that either comes naturally, or can be honed over the years.

And if you don't believe it can, then WTF are we arguing about? Why would we sign Sterling if he can never learn composure, good decision making, and accuary? why are we signing a shoddy player that is doomed to never finish consistently?

As for players who we can sign, Reus is the dream, the only winger I'd spend 40-50m on. He could get 20 goals.

But if we aren't going to spend that much, then I'd rather settle for a winger that can help retain possession and see out games more comfortablly, ala Turan.

I'd buy a shirt with Reus on the back if we brought him. God, I can dream...

People like to talk about Sterling like he's reached the prime of his career and is ready to compete with established world-beaters. Of course he's not top10 yet, but as someone said, he's knocking on the door at the age of 20!

If he was Spanish or Brazilian.. :chai:

Ozil missed half the season. Mata was in and out of the team. Meanwhile, Sterling was the focal point of everything Liverpool tried to do. He played as a winger and as a striker, so comparing his goal scoring to Cesc is reaching, and also not Cesc's strong suit.

No, Ozil didn't win it on his own, but he was a big part of that team. Stop trying to belittle one player's achievement to make your preferred player look better.

Ozil is an incredible player, and if he had a proper manager unlike Wenger, he wouldn't be playing on the wings like he has been.

Ozil was subbed out of every game in the world cup. And much like Cesc isn't a goal scorer, Sterling isn't a Striker, he played there because his manager is a moron. Can played CB and Sterling played WB too.

And this isn't belittling you at all. For every argument you present against Sterling there will always be a rebuttal, why? because many people see his skill and potential. At 20 he is already one of the best players in the Prem and possesses the physical tools to get even better if surrounded by a winning mentality and better players. My opinion and really not hard to see why.

Ozil was subbed out of every game in the world cup. And much like Cesc isn't a goal scorer, Sterling isn't a Striker, he played there because his manager is a moron. Can played CB and Sterling played WB too.

And this isn't belittling you at all. For every argument you present against Sterling there will always be a rebuttal, why? because many people see his skill and potential. At 20 he is already one of the best players in the Prem and possesses the physical tools to get even better if surrounded by a winning mentality and better players. My opinion and really not hard to see why.

It was actually a wise move moving Sterling to striker's position

People like to talk about Sterling like he's reached the prime of his career and is ready to compete with established world-beaters. Of course he's not top10 yet, but as someone said, he's knocking on the door at the age of 20!

Agree. Oscar isnt as effective yet he has his own little cult on these forums.

but he's english, which means you are world class by the age of 20 and the next best thing in the world.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You