Petr Cech

eldo

The reverse angle from in front of the goal clearly shows that he wasn't getting there ahead of Anichibe. Maybe he should have stayed on his line, but he wouldn't have saved it on any account.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1bsut6_goal-anichebe-west-bromwich-1-1-chelsea-11-02-2014-highlights_sport#from=embediframe

Thanks for the link mate.

You're right in saying Victor was going to get there before him but I think had Cech put any sort of pressure on him instead of just stopping that he would've probably just done enough to put him off and Anichebe would've probably missed the target.

You're right in saying Victor was going to get there before him but I think had Cech put any sort of pressure on him instead of just stopping that he would've probably just done enough to put him off and Anichebe would've probably missed the target.

I think it's Cech's old injury cropping up and costing us a goal.

If you look carefully you can see David Luiz blowing really hard at Anichebe. Cech was probably worried about getting caught in the crosswind and ending up headfirst in the stands.

Really we may have lost two points but at least no-one got hurt.

Maybe, but then he would run the risk of giving away a pen if he blocks off Anichibe and doesn't get the ball and he'd be in no position to do anything if Anichibe missed the ball. Plus, we all know that Petr has been reluctant to get into collisions since his injury.

Honestly, Cech is probably the least culprit for that goal after Iva not blocking the cross at least pressurizing the crosser, Luiz losing Anichibe and even Garry Cahill's positioning (Although, I don't really blame him, he was limping with an injury).

Maybe, but then he would run the risk of giving away a pen if he blocks off Anichibe and doesn't get the ball and he'd be in no position to do anything if Anichibe missed the ball. Plus, we all know that Petr has been reluctant to get into collisions since his injury.

Honestly, Cech is probably the least culprit for that goal after Iva not blocking the cross at least pressurizing the crosser, Luiz losing Anichibe and even Garry Cahill's positioning (Although, I don't really blame him, he was limping with an injury).

Which is fair enough.

Regarding Cahill, I do think Mou could've perhaps taken him off for Cole and and put Ivanovic in the middle since he was struggling very badly. Hopefully Gary will be alright though.

Which is fair enough.

Regarding Cahill, I do think Mou could've perhaps taken him off for Cole and and put Ivanovic in the middle since he was struggling very badly. Hopefully Gary will be alright though.

I'm hoping it was a cramp and not a muscle injury. No reporter asked about him post-match. Guess we'll have to wait till the City prematch PC to find out..

I watched the replay... at first I'm thinking "oh fucking hell, Petr" as he's coming off his line, but I had coaching yesterday in dealing with crosses and what was I telling all the kids I coach? Move towards the ball, NEVER stay on your line when it's crossed in between the six yard box. Just a good finish, IMO. I'm more concerned with Branna's refusal to close down wingers than Cech.

If Courtois plays as well as Cech has this season this forum will be full of comments saying what a wonderful goalkeeper he is and why it was such a smart decision to replace Cech. Forget Cech's truly great seasons, all Courtois has to do is show up to get the plaudits.

Be named best keeper in Spain and one of the best keepers in the world = just has to show up. :carlo:

I'll be honest, I don't really care about Courtois. He hasn't played a single minute for Chelsea. If Chelsea sell him and use the money to further imrpove the squad I'll consider that good business. And after that I'll continue to support the guy with 10 years at the club and who, at the age of 31, has many years ahead of him.

That's a fair position to take. Others might take the position that we should go with the guy who is better and probably has more years at the top.

Be named best keeper in Spain and one of the best keepers in the world = just has to show up. :carlo:

That's a fair position to take. Others might take the position that we should go with the guy who is better and probably has more years at the top.

Not really much competition is there? Barcelona are desperate, and have been for years, to replace Valdes. Casillas is one of the most overrated goalkeepers in the world and is playing second fiddle to an OK goalkeeper in Lopez.

That's where we disagree, I don't think Courtois is better. I think Cech is the best goalkeeper in the world, and you can consider that bias on my parth (I don't blame you) but I truly believe he's the best all-round goalkeeper in world football. Personally that will soften the blow of losing a player who has never played for the club.

Not really much competition is there? Barcelona are desperate, and have been for years, to replace Valdes. Casillas is one of the most overrated goalkeepers in the world and is playing second fiddle to an OK goalkeeper in Lopez.

That's where we disagree, I don't think Courtois is better. I think Cech is the best goalkeeper in the world, and you can consider that bias on my parth (I don't blame you) but I truly believe he's the best all-round goalkeeper in world football. Personally that will soften the blow of losing a player who has never played for the club.

Neuer is better right now. Cech was actually dropped this season and deservedly so. If Courtois had actually been in the squad then he may well have got a shot already, but unfortunately for us he's been pulling up trees for Atletico.

Cech has looked more indecisive and cost us more goals than I can ever remember. He's absolutely a club legend but hopefully that doesn't mean we put sentimentality ahead of results and stick with him when he's on the decline. Maybe it's a temporary blip (because he has had dips in form in his time here) or maybe it's something more serious.

What I do know is that Courtois has none of these question marks over him. He's achieved more than Cech did at the same age, he's of such similar quality that the gap between the two is negligible and he's more than likely going to improve.

Maybe you have no affinity for him because he hasn't played for us, but he isn't just some player - he represents the future of how goalkeeping position for the next 10-15 years. We could wait until we desperately need a replacement like we did with Drogba or we could act pre-emptively.

Neuer is better right now. Cech was actually dropped this season and deservedly so. If Courtois had actually been in the squad then he may well have got a shot already, but unfortunately for us he's been pulling up trees for Atletico.

Cech has looked more indecisive and cost us more goals than I can ever remember. He's absolutely a club legend but hopefully that doesn't mean we put sentimentality ahead of results and stick with him when he's on the decline. Maybe it's a temporary blip (because he has had dips in form in his time here) or maybe it's something more serious.

What I do know is that Courtois has none of these question marks over him. He's achieved more than Cech did at the same age, he's of such similar quality that the gap between the two is negligible and he's more than likely going to improve.

Maybe you have no affinity for him because he hasn't played for us, but he isn't just some player - he represents the future of how goalkeeping position for the next 10-15 years. We could wait until we desperately need a replacement like we did with Drogba or we could act pre-emptively.

Fair points and I understand Courtois is good enough to lock up the position for 10-15 years. What irks me is the way people dismiss Cech as if he is past his prime and on his last legs. He's 31, he's bang in his prime for a goalkeeper. Every quality keeper makes a few mistakes (Courtois included) but I think Cech's are highlighted more than most because we have a shiny new keeper waiting in the wings. Some people seem to jump on any Cech mistake and use it as proof of why we should get rid.