Petr Cech

eldo

Everton away under Rafa last season, Lamps with 2 goals to turn 1-0 to 1-2.

Doesn't count as it wasn't a clean sheet, but well recalled nonetheless.

Went off injured at Blackburn too a few years ago didn't he? Hilario came on and made one of his best saves for us.

Spot on, great shout. So that's 2 out of the 3 we've got sorted.

He won that poll in the end, and it's incredible he's second leading the clean sheets stats in history, playing nearly half the amount the leader has (Cech 313 matches, 150 CS; James, 572 matches, 169 CS). Now I just read he leads % stats in EPL history, saving 75,98% of all shots against him (on target, ofc).

This is one of my fave Chelsea FC legends and will always be.

That's not much of a surprise when one consider the defence that plays in front of Cech and David James in helping him to get the amount of clean sheets.

That's not much of a surprise when one consider the defence that plays in front of Cech and David James in helping him to get the amount of clean sheets.

I completely disagree. You don't have clean sheets in basically 50% of all matches you played in a league only because of a good defense ahead of you.

This same defense had some very bad moments under di Matteo playing the league. TERRIBLE. While they do help, we don't have even closely the best defense around, so why don't other keepers have such stats?

Cech is a legend, he's made some of the most incredible saves I've seen in football and playing a keeper is always difficult, a small mistake (and sometimes big, which all goalies in the world have done, Petr included) and you concede. Sorry, but while I think there's some credit to be given to the defense, there are much better defenses around and their keepers don't have such stats... Nothing takes away how amazing this man is.

I completely disagree. You don't have clean sheets in basically 50% of all matches you played in a league only because of a good defense ahead of you.

This same defense had some very bad moments under di Matteo playing the league. TERRIBLE. While they do help, we don't have even closely the best defense around, so why don't other keepers have such stats?

Cech is a legend, he's made some of the most incredible saves I've seen in football and playing a keeper is always difficult, a small mistakes (and sometimes big, which all goalies in the world have done, Petr included) and you concede. Sorry, but while I think there's some credit to be given to the defense, there are much better defenses around and their keepers don't have such stats... Nothing takes away how amazing this man is.

I remember once in a CL semi vs Liverpool - maybe in 07, Gerrard was like WTF..."i dnt think a goalie in Europe could have saved that like Cech"

We're fortunate to have this guy - Legend.

Cech is a legend, he's made some of the most incredible saves I've seen in football and playing a keeper is always difficult, a small mistakes (and sometimes big, which all goalies in the world have done, Petr included) and you concede. Sorry, but while I think there's some credit to be given to the defense, there are much better defenses around and their keepers don't have such stats... Nothing takes away how amazing this man is.

:doh:

I completely agreed with you there. All I said was the back 4 in front Cech helped him to achieve that, which cannot be denied. I didn't even play down Cech's own abilities in achieving in clean sheet record!

:doh:

I completely agreed with you there. All I said was the back 4 in front Cech helped him to achieve that, which cannot be denied. I didn't even play down Cech's own abilities in achieving in clean sheet record!

I know what you mean, but my point is, dude, the man got 313 matches, 150 clean sheets. Only writing this shit is already insane. Only a top goalkeeper can have that kind of stat. Also I noted that our defense have had many shaky periods in the league. So while they help a lot (currently Chelsea is the team that allows less shots on their goal, this is 100% credited on outfield players), only a beast in the goal can have nearly 50% of clean sheets in league matches. Every goalkeeper in the world relies on the men ahead of him, saying that is stating the obvious, but only the extraordinary makes up for their mistakes or stops opponents' brilliance. You can say the 4 men help any keeper, but the other stat proves my point that this is idk 70% on Cech, and 30% on defense because the guy saves 76% of all shots taken on him. If a shot was allowed is because the defense failed to prevent it (the same way I just said our defense right now is amazing as we allow the least shots from opponents in the league). When you combine the stats, they talk for themselves about Cech. Stating defenses help goalies is like saying from clouds come the rain, but in the way you wrote it seemed aimed to take away a bit of the credit from his achievements, which imo it doesn't because we've had the best defense for some spells, but also a frustratingly back four for others (after Mourinho left).

I remember once in a CL semi vs Liverpool - maybe in 07, Gerrard was like WTF..."i dnt think a goalie in Europe could have saved that like Cech"

We're fortunate to have this guy - Legend.

I remember that! It was a shot from inside or just around the box in the last minutes of the match and it was just flying towards the corner of the net and Cech came out of nowhere and made an impossible save. The look on Gerrard's face was priceless!