Chelsea v Schalke

Jase

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You do know Schalke have had a very bad start to the season right? They are currently 3rd bottom in the Bundesliga and have quite a few players out injured. It's not like we're facing a fully fit Schalke brimming with confidence.

Honestly I don't see anything wrong with at least rotating 2 or 3 players. I think we have 4/5 games on in the space of the next two weeks, squad rotation at this point is important. The drop off in quality (i.e. Our replacements) isn't that high either. We should be able to beat this Schalke team without playing our entire first XI.

I wouldn't be so cavalier is all I'm saying and I doubt Jose will either. Football is a funny game in that one week you can look like the shittiest team in Europe and the very next you turn it on and smash Madrid... We have to prepare for the best Schalke, not the one who lost to a German opponent, thats how I see it anyway... when you underestimate you're opponent you are setting yourself for a fall(ask Utd who played MK Dons and got smashed 4-0) I don't care what the circumstances are this is the Champions League and no team is to be taken for granted.

As far as the rotation I'm not against it, its making 4 or 5 changes before a big match that I'm opposed to. Even if we're targeting City its always best to have players carry on with the good form rather then sub them out and risk losing the continuity. Don't dismiss the fact this is still a team that is still finding its understanding of one another. When you bring in guys off the bench in large numbers the communication takes a lot longer to bed in, it becomes more about individuals and less about team. Its precisely why we almost NEVER run up the score in the League Cup and also why Jose goes with such a small squad. There will be time to rotate 4-5 players its just not before our first Champions League game... that's what my belief is anyway.

Torres scored 4 in 9. Including 2 in one game.

Eto'o scored 3 in 9. Including 2 in one game.

Ba scored 3 in 6. From one start.

You're right, thats not that bad. But if we go far in the tournament this year, it wouldn't be surprising if Costa scores that many combined by himself.

Yeah I know,

The only point I was making, is that the Poster I referring to kind of Implied that we got there without our strikers contributing....which is clearly wrong...

YES Costa & Remy will hopefully make a big difference though :)

We are still developing our understanding but doesn't mean we should flog our first XI until they've fully understood everything. Besides, our squad players need to buy into our philosophy as well, and they are all decent enough for us to do a job over Schalke.

Yeah, Schalke are a good team but they aren't tougher than most we've faced already this season, especially on current form. Again, I'm not saying Jose will change or rotate that many, it's just something I'd like to see. I do expect at least 2 or 3 changes though - we have a very important game against City this weekend and we need to ensure our better players are fresh for that game.

You have to remember the problems they gave us last year (with a lot of injuries in their squad) with a similar team bar Courtois, Matic, Cesc and Costa. They are better than anything we've faced so far this season. I would hope Jose doesn't go daft and swap 3 or 4 players. Maybe Costa could do with a rest but how do you justify resting a player with 7 goals in 4 games for a game that is 4 days after this one?

They are better than anything we've faced so far this season.

Completely disagree, certainly not in this state. They've started off very badly in the Bundesliga and have got quite a few key injuries. We've faced better teams (on current form and situation) in Everton and Swansea.

Half of Schalke's team is injured, that's why they had a less than impressive start of season. Some of them are expected to be fit against us, so I expect some slight improvement already. They were sort of lucky getting us as their first match. The odds of them beating us at the Bridge with their full squad fit were already sort of small, at least for the other matches against the weaker sides they'll have most of their players (if not all) already recovered. And there's no way they're currently the strongest side we've played this year. Everton and Swansea are stronger and maybe Leicester is more organized and well put together than them now.

On our side though I could see some rotation if Costa really had some muscle issues in the last two weeks, even if they're small. Rest the guy, leave him in the bench and if we're in trouble, release the beast. It has nothing to do with Remy deserving to play yadda, yadda. It's just so we rest a player that could possibly be a stiff away from a hamstring injury that could get him out of the team for a couple of weeks (or even longer). Why risk, especially with City away around the corner? Hazard was spared from Belgium because of an injury. If it's worth giving him a rest because of it, I'd take it too.

I don't see a point for either Schurrle or Salah to start this match - unless Mourinho wants to please them. We won't play counter... Schalke won't dominate the midfield, won't have possession. It isn't a game that would need someone of their characteristics, but I would understand they could play.

I really want to see Luís though. If he doesn't start now, it'd be a shame. I know we have a League Cup coming next week, and then he'll certainly start, but I think he could play against Schalke in an UCL match. He has the experience, it won't be as physical as the EPL matches and we need to start introducing a player we spent some decent amount of money on.

I don't see a need for Terry to rest so early in the season. He seems to be physically fine... it might help him to reach his better fitness sooner actually. Saved for injuries, the most they play now, the sooner they'll get 100% fit physically.

All in all, I'd play Luís, no matter what, I'd rest Costa to prevent an injury (Remy should be enough to handle Schalke and Costa would be in the bench anyway) and I'd rest Hazard if he also has a minor physical issue. All the rest I'd keep the same. We could do the opposite too. Start Costa and Hazard and if the match is already dealt with by the end of the first half, get them subbed during half time.

I don't get though why people are suggesting Cesc should be rested... First, we don't have a replacement for him (while Remy is no Costa, he's a decent striker, we have no decent midfield play-maker in the team. Oscar and Ramires are off and on regarding that, and still they don't come even close); second, he doesn't have a physical issue; third, playing him now is giving him a chance to keep assisting and maybe even scoring - that will only increase his already sky high confidence.

We have a new style that is quite based on Cesc playing everyone in. I even go as far as saying it'd be great for him to get a chance to play with other players that normally will only come as subs so they can develop an understanding between them too. I'd play him no matter what.

Completely disagree, certainly not in this state. They've started off very badly in the Bundesliga and have got quite a few key injuries. We've faced better teams (on current form and situation) in Everton and Swansea.

They didn't have a great start the last time we played them either if I remember correctly. The thing is it doesn't matter how badly they were last week or the week before that, its first night of the Champions League and they will have their critics and they will want to ram their critics opinions down their throats. Perhaps Everton and Swansea are playing better right now but a full strength Schalke team performing better than they are right now would comfortably dispatch any of those two sides. No contest.

We can't take anything for granted, especially after the first half of that Swansea match and even defending against Everton. If players like Sigurdsson, Mirallas, Naismith etc can exploit spaces and make an impact on the game then imagine much more quality players like Boateng, Farfan, Draxler, Meyer etc?

I'd say a full strength team and we beat them in 50-60 minutes then we can sub players in and out, but using the squad 4 games in and resting key players like Matic, Costa, Hazard and whoever else people have suggested (not you but I've seen lots of posts with a similar point about rotation) would also send out the wrong message in my eyes, it would show we are more concerned about the City game (although players who are on our bench do have points to prove). We can't send that message out to a team that's say won every game at the start of the season, never mind a team that's struggled recently and have a point to prove to their own critics.

Our squad is very good yes but I don't want to see us rotate every game before we play a big team, especially when we play a big team before like Schalke, because cmon they aren't exactly minnows nobodies heard of. 4 days is a lot of time to recover, although it doesn't seem like it. When the games start coming every 2 or 3 days maybe depending on scheduling and cup competitions then the squad is useful.

---------------Tibo--------------

Azpi---Zouma--Cahill--Luis

---------Mikel----Fab----------

Willian-----Oscar----Hazard

--------------Remy-------------

Still a strong team, but would like to see Remy and Luis have a start. JT and Matic should be dropped cos (as much as I love them both) they've been a little bit dodgy at the start of this season and need to reminded that they're not invincible, as well as giving Zouma and Mikel chances to stake their claims.

We ideally shouldn't rest more than 1 of our most important trio at once (Hazard, Fabregas & Costa).

---------------Tibo--------------

Azpi---Zouma--Cahill--Luis

---------Mikel----Fab----------

Willian-----Oscar----Hazard

--------------Remy-------------

Still a strong team, but would like to see Remy and Luis have a start. JT and Matic should be dropped cos (as much as I love them both) they've been a little bit dodgy at the start of this season and need to reminded that they're not invincible, as well as giving Zouma and Mikel chances to stake their claims.

We ideally shouldn't rest more than 1 of our most important trio at once (Hazard, Fabregas & Costa).

Zouma for Ivanovic and we're good to go.

You can't look at the table and say they are going to be an easy match. Yes, they've only got a point so far, but that point was actually against Bayern Munich who they outplayed on the day, despite the absences. Against Gladbach, they dominated the ball but their crappy high line got found out time and time again, but they won't play that ridiculously high line against us at the bridge. They'll probably play much more reserved like they did against Bayern. Point is, they have good players with a lot of European experience, so expect them to raise their game against us like they did against Bayern. Plus, all of Draxler, Max Meyer, and Huntelaar could be back for this match so their offence would look completely different.

Hey guys, I hate my life. I am the biggest fan of chelsea football club but unfortunately I still haven't caught a single game as I work friday to wednesday, 6 days week, 5pm to 9pm. I am so sad I feel like crying. Someone please give me a job so I can watch more chelsea games. I earn minimum wage and live in north london. Please if I miss one more chelsea game I will commit suicide. Fml. I don't deserve this. People want big houses, yachts, model girlfriends, I just want regular working hours so I can watch my team play. Is this too much to ask. I will go to belgium for euthanasia if nobody gives me a job. I can do anything, I was half polish half mexican in a former life.

Hey guys, I hate my life. I am the biggest fan of chelsea football club but unfortunately I still haven't caught a single game as I work friday to wednesday, 6 days week, 5pm to 9pm. I am so sad I feel like crying. Someone please give me a job so I can watch more chelsea games. I earn minimum wage and live in north london. Please if I miss one more chelsea game I will commit suicide. Fml. I don't deserve this. People want big houses, yachts, model girlfriends, I just want regular working hours so I can watch my team play. Is this too much to ask. I will go to belgium for euthanasia if nobody gives me a job. I can do anything, I was half polish half mexican in a former life.

Take it easy man. Calm down.

Avoid the results and download the game from here or other places on the Internet