Most overrated Players ever

TheWiz

Of course he showed some elegance in his Body Motion but mostly when he (as someone mentioned previously) tried to control a ball that he just received. High Passes for example. So of course he showed lovely Elegance and Finesse there - Although I seriousy doubt that he controlled the Ball to the Spot he wanted it to be. No one can do that every Time. But when you are a Fan of a specific Player (not just necessarily Zidane), its easy to fall for such superlatives.

However it appeared to me that once he had one ore more Opponents around him, things became very Different. Getting past them even harder. His best Option was mostly a quick Pass to the nearest Temmate. You cant expect a Player with no explosiveness and a donnish waist to Outfake and get past a Player or even several Ones and at the same Time keeping an Eye on your Team Players. Thats why he often looked ardous trying - even when he was in Movement towards goal already.

Zidane was a great Player, a great Ballholder and a very good Playmaker. But he was a Player of Moments. Not a Player of Dominance. In way to many Matches one would see a dull performance for most of the time.

After all - everything needed to take out Zidane in the CL Final 1997 was a unlikely Paul Lambert taking care of him. And Borussia took it home 3:1.

The Genius Players I saw were Pele, Maradona, Savicevic and R9 and now Messi.

Them 5 were the only ones whose Teams (except Pele, obviously) i watched, only to see those Guys play without the slightest interest for the Teams they played for or their Match Results.

With those Players it was like going to a Circus and paying Entrance only to be entertained by the 15 Minutes Magicians Show and leaving afterwards.

Except they didnt pull Rabbits out of Hats but unbelievable Passes, Runs, Goals and Combinations of the Three continously.

+landrup and R10

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zidane is overrated in a way, people these days saying he's the best ever... he's in the same league as Laudrup and Ineista, who are world class players but not the best. Pele, Maradona and Messi are in a league of their own IMO.

The most overrated player now? Neymar, he'll be another Robinho. Not on the same level as Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho or Kaka.

Zidane is overrated in a way, people these days saying he's the best ever... he's in the same league as Laudrup and Ineista, who are world class players but not the best. Pele, Maradona and Messi are in a league of their own IMO.

The most overrated player now? Neymar, he'll be another Robinho. Not on the same level as Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho or Kaka.

Have to disagree. Zidane was absolutely phenomenal and the only true consistent player in the Galactico era. His elegance on the ball and most of all continuous consistency is what differs him from Iniesta.

Me personally, I'd rate Muller and Garrincha ahead of Pele, in some respect Romario. Messi and Maradona are truly in a league by themselves.

Me personally, I'd rate Muller and Garrincha ahead of Pele, in some respect Romario. Messi and Maradona are truly in a league by themselves.

It always amused me that Jairzinho was not included by Pele in his list of 100 ( or was it 125?) greatest footballers. Pele is a dick :lol:

Out of defenders Pique is just lol, Kompany(team of the year xD), Laurent ''brainfart'' Koscielny and of course 27 million young lion - Shaw

Diego Costa and Cavani probably too

Beckham.

Guti and Raul

Neymar - people in Brazil were always compairing him with Messi, one year ago some coaches there said that Neymar is better than Messi.

Moutinho and Witsel I don't know why people like this much this 2 players,

For me the 2 best players in the history are Pele (3WC and many titles in Santos being the star and making Brazil the country of footbal) and Don Alfredo Di Stefano. (best player in Madrid history and because of him Real Madrid is something incomparable with any club in the world).

:D .. I knew someones going to batter me for that, buy yes. I mean the guy had some instinct for goals yes .. but beside of that .. nothing that would make me even consider implementing him in a squad, if i were manager.

which explains why you've never been offered job . For those too idle to scroll back he is talking about Ballack ,,,one of the top 10 all time German players

• 4 weeks later...

atm SHAW

probably my choice right now.

I think he was a monster player just not as effective as the other greats

People calling Giggs and Scholes overrated are being really harsh. Giggs is the best Welsh player of all time and won't ever be challenged on that front, while Scholes was definitely among the best midfielders in the world at his peak. Plus their longevity is extraordinary, they were mainstays in one of the best teams in Europe for pretty much two decades. How many other footballers can claim that? Javier Zanetti and Paolo Maldini are all I can think of from the modern period.

John Charles is classed by many to be the greatest british player of all time and among the best worldwide..he was welsh too so Giggs atleast has competition.

For me i won't add any of the great players that have been mentioned as over rated.i don't know how great players can be over rated really.

For me i will go Doug Rougvie..rated as the best left back in europe when we signed him..he was pretty shit really..only remarkable gift he had was as an headcase. In one game against Wimbledon's notorious on field thugs he once got sent off for headbutting John "Fash the bash" Fashanu.

Ballack was fucking superb btw..wtf?? Imo he proved without any doubt what a class player he was by adapting his game when he came to us..he played second fiddle to Lampard in our midfield but whenever Lampard was out or underperforming he was there to take over. There's very few better complete CM's in the history of the game and was technically the most gifted CM we have ever had along with Gullit (tho Ballack was better in his Chelsea days than Ruud was in his)