Most overrated Players ever

TheWiz

Schweinsteiger, 00zil, Neuer

Andrea Pirlo, Francesco Totti, Alessandro Nesta, Favio Cannavaro,02

Gerrard, Giggs, Scholes, Rooney

are the most obvious cases that come to my mind

I was about to like your post till I saw pirlo. Seriously?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David Beckham. Without a shadow of a doubt one of the most over rated ever. Goes in the bracket as becoming more known as an icon rather than a football, similar to George Best and C.Ronaldo, expect those two are arguably world class footballers where as Beckham never was.

Quality player on his day, end of.

David Beckham. Without a shadow of a doubt one of the most over rated ever. Goes in the bracket as becoming more known as an icon rather than a football, similar to George Best and C.Ronaldo, expect those two are arguably world class footballers where as Beckham never was.

Quality player on his day, end of.

Thing with Beckham though is.. Everyone knows that. No-one thinks he was the GoaT or anything like that, so can he really be called overrated? He was in the media a lot and a poster boy, sure, but no-one really said he's world-class.

Karim Benzema.

Ranks among the top 5 strikers on paper but definitely not for me. Perks of playing with the best attacking midfielders around him.

I actually think he's slightly underrated because a lot of people use that exact reason which is unfair on him.

I actually think he's slightly underrated because a lot of people use that exact reason which is unfair on him.

No. Di Maria doesn't get the credit he deserves because of the rest of the star studded line-up. Extremely underrated IMO

No. Di Maria doesn't get the credit he deserves because of the rest of the star studded line-up. Extremely underrated IMO

I think Di Maria is underrated too but I just really like Benzema as a player and I don't often hear people say that he's top 5 striker in the world - hence why I don't think he's overrated.

I think Di Maria is underrated too but I just really like Benzema as a player and I don't often hear people say that he's top 5 striker in the world - hence why I don't think he's overrated.

I've been hearing that since his last season with Lyon. Still that same sort of player....can't see much of an improvement in his game since joining Madrid.

I was about to like your post till I saw pirlo. Seriously?

yes. The players lives for his highlight reel. A nice pass or a freekick every game and void in between. Turns up for one moment, or is invisible whole match - just like Ibra.

Right now: Hazard, Neymar, Bale

Its not their fault.

Think about Hazard. He was a good player in Lille, playing in french league. When he was signed, you just need to read the reactions here. He suddenly became a fan-favourite, we became the best squad in the league, and that kind of stuff. Neymar is another bizarre case, NEVER in a WC, a player got so much attention like brazilian press will give to Neymar this year, its almost ridiculous.

The press play a big part in the whole thing. Days ago Matic was voted the 6th best signing of the season, even if we were in 2nd when he was bought and will finish in 3rd.

yes. The players lives for his highlight reel. A nice pass or a freekick every game and void in between. Turns up for one moment, or is invisible whole match - just like Ibra.02

He is not invisible because he dictates the tempo of the game. He's older now so he doesn't move as well as he used to.

He was even better at milan IMO, people are only noticing him now because there is no kaka in front of him.

Ok Zidane that guy which was mathematically APPROVED that he had The most unorthodox but efficient way to shoot....

That guy stopin the ball aexactly where he wanted it to be by tipping it with his toe at any speed...

Some should get serious

Gosh did I really just read some of the things I thought I read about Zidane. He had no vision? He had no special instincts for goal scoring situations? He also somehow had natural elegance but yet his attempts to beat opponents looked clumsy and arduous… :doh:

And Youtube made him seem great? Guess that’s why there’s 0 football fans or football players prior to the Youtube generation who consider him the best they’ve seen…
Really not sure what to say in regards to prime dinho’ being a level above him. :doh:

Out of interest @TheWiz, who are these 5 football geniuses you speak of? :D

Gosh did I really just read some of the things I thought I read about Zidane. He had no vision? He had no special instincts for goal scoring situations? He also somehow had natural elegance but yet his attempts to beat opponents looked clumsy and arduous… :doh:

That’s why there’s 0 football fans or football players prior to the Youtube generation who consider him the best they’ve seen…

Really not sure what to say in regards to prime dinho’ being a level above him. :doh:

Out of interest @TheWiz, who are these 5 football geniuses you speak of? :D

Of course he showed some elegance in his Body Motion but mostly when he (as someone mentioned previously) tried to control a ball that he just received. High Passes for example. So of course he showed lovely Elegance and Finesse there - Although I seriousy doubt that he controlled the Ball to the Spot he wanted it to be. No one can do that every Time. But when you are a Fan of a specific Player (not just necessarily Zidane), its easy to fall for such superlatives.

However it appeared to me that once he had one ore more Opponents around him, things became very Different. Getting past them even harder. His best Option was mostly a quick Pass to the nearest Temmate. You cant expect a Player with no explosiveness and a donnish waist to Outfake and get past a Player or even several Ones and at the same Time keeping an Eye on your Team Players. Thats why he often looked ardous trying - even when he was in Movement towards goal already.

Zidane was a great Player, a great Ballholder and a very good Playmaker. But he was a Player of Moments. Not a Player of Dominance. In way to many Matches one would see a dull performance for most of the time.

After all - everything needed to take out Zidane in the CL Final 1997 was a unlikely Paul Lambert taking care of him. And Borussia took it home 3:1.

The Genius Players I saw were Pele, Maradona, Savicevic and R9 and now Messi.

Them 5 were the only ones whose Teams (except Pele, obviously) i watched, only to see those Guys play without the slightest interest for the Teams they played for or their Match Results.

With those Players it was like going to a Circus and paying Entrance only to be entertained by the 15 Minutes Magicians Show and leaving afterwards.

Except they didnt pull Rabbits out of Hats but unbelievable Passes, Runs, Goals and Combinations of the Three continously.