Willian

Jase

Our other AMs? What good comes of those? Salah? Schurrle? Who are we talking about here? Fabregas and Hazard? Willian offers more than the first two and who are people calling for in Jan? Reus? Whoever is on the RW needs to conform to a style of play and tactical awareness to allow our RB and our formation to play like we do. Oscar has alot more freedom than Willian does, switch the two for 5 games and we can see where we are. It'll be a sad day when/if Willian is dropped, there's a reason we dominated Southampton after he came on, changes the whole dynamic of the team.

If you read through, carefully, you'll see that I'm not Cahill's biggest fan, stretches back to before Monaco. Your saying that there has not been an over reaction to the defeat? If not then perhaps its yourself who might need to read a bit more carefully.

Salah hasn't even gotten a chance. I'm positive if Salah got a chance he would finish the season with 10 goals and 10 assists in all comps. Schurrle is in bad form, so no argument there. Willian has poor decision making, vision, and finishing. He isn't good enough to start for Chelsea.

What makes Willian's technique very good? He has a fantastic first touch and overall ball control. In every other area of technique he's either decent (decent passing, decent dribbler) or just poor (poor shooter, poor crosser, 0 finishing, poor at taking direct or indirect set-pieces).

He keeps possession well but that's mostly a mental thing, and he takes too many touches for me to rate him highly in that area.

I say that because I believe Willian has a good first touch; that he is able to carry the ball at pace and is a good short passer which helps retain possession/build moves. He does the basics well but unfortunately can't do much more than that. I rate Willian more than most because I believe we have 3 other attacking midfielders who can't even do the basics more often than not.

Our other AMs? What good comes of those? Salah? Schurrle? Who are we talking about here? Fabregas and Hazard? Willian offers more than the first two and who are people calling for in Jan? Reus? Whoever is on the RW needs to conform to a style of play and tactical awareness to allow our RB and our formation to play like we do. Oscar has alot more freedom than Willian does, switch the two for 5 games and we can see where we are. It'll be a sad day when/if Willian is dropped, there's a reason we dominated Southampton after he came on, changes the whole dynamic of the team.

Why is it that when people defend Willian, Salah and Schurrle has been mentioned more often than not? Seems a rather convenient defence.

When I said 'our other AMs' earlier, I meant Hazard and Oscar given those two are the first choices in the team. Yes, Willian is there to provide balance, he's playing because he's a workhorse, got tactical awareness etc but which ever way one spins his role, it still doesn't hide the fact his offensive contribution is almost non-existent. Like I mentioned as well, let's act as if Mourinho doesn't give Willian the license to attack. He does but Willian has been poor at it.

If you read through, carefully, you'll see that I'm not Cahill's biggest fan, stretches back to before Monaco. Your saying that there has not been an over reaction to the defeat? If not then perhaps its yourself who might need to read a bit more carefully.

Take out those abusive and 'Cahill Out' one-liner posts, some of the responses have been more than decent and justifiable especially given the performances of Cahill lately.

And by the way, I didn't mean to insult or anything like that when I said 'if you read through carefully' in the last post. :)

Why is it that when people defend Willian, Salah and Schurrle has been mentioned more often than not? Seems a rather convenient defence.

When I said 'our other AMs' earlier, I meant Hazard and Oscar given those two are the first choices in the team. Yes, Willian is there to provide balance, he's playing because he's a workhorse, got tactical awareness etc but which ever way one spins his role, it still doesn't hide the fact his offensive contribution is almost non-existent. Like I mentioned as well, let's act as if Mourinho doesn't give Willian the license to attack. He does but Willian has been poor at it.

Take out those abusive and 'Cahill Out' one-liner posts, some of the responses have been more than decent and justifiable especially given the performances of Cahill lately.

And by the way, I didn't mean to insult or anything like that when I said 'if you read through carefully' in the last post. :)

Because they are Chelsea players that play in the same position, I don't compare Courtois to Harry Kane. That is the comparisons we make, we cannot play the way we want to play this season without Willian, simple as that, he's improved on last season and I hope that next season or the 2nd half of the season the pot shots he takes, which Jose encourages, actually conform to something better than a pea that slips off the plate on a Sunday roast because he has a dynamite of a shot.

Its nothing new with Cahill though, he isn't world class, doesn't need to be with the way we play, the personnel we have. He's long been prone to square on syndrome, not tracking the runner in behind, this dates back SO long, sure he's improved but its one loss, a terrible team performance etc. and it wasn't aimed specifically at anyone more a generalization and I get the frustration after a match but to say Zouma in, Ramos in blah blah is an over reaction. John Terry was culpable for years and nothing close to the posts were seen.

Would I swap Willian for Sanchez? Absolutely but that doesn't mean there is a clone of Sanchez out there ready made to buy, at the moment Willian does his job to a tee, but the others have to do theirs too, just a note on last night, we missed 3 one on one's with the keeper that went a fraction wide or Lloris had a wonderful camera save to make.

Until we go back to having Ivanovic playing defensively we cannot bring another RW in, it upsets the whole balance and tactics of the team. Almost every EPL winning team I can think of has had that utility player or the worker bee. Like I said, he can end the season with 0 goals and 0 assists if he just does his job and we focus on our clinical finishing rather than 1-0, rush the opposition for 10 minutes then sit back.

Check out my latest blog article: The Three Goal Scorers Principle on what makes the difference between a decent and a briliant side.

http://pieterhontele.wordpress.com/2015/01/02/the-three-goal-scorers-principle/

Great article, i agree with everything you wrote.

I say that because I believe Willian has a good first touch; that he is able to carry the ball at pace and is a good short passer which helps retain possession/build moves. He does the basics well but unfortunately can't do much more than that. I rate Willian more than most because I believe we have 3 other attacking midfielders who can't even do the basics more often than not.

That's not good enough for Willian to be considered technically gifted or possessing very good technique. I read that quite often and I've never understood it.

(You know who Willian reminds me of? Steven Pienaar back in the day)

This team needs more players with a high level of technique and tactical intelligence. I hope the club stays away from the likes of Sissoko and such.

That's not good enough for Willian to be considered technically gifted or possessing very good technique. I read that quite often and I've never understood it.

(You know who Willian reminds me of? Steven Pienaar back in the day)

This team needs more players with a high level of technique and tactical intelligence. I hope the club stays away from the likes of Sissoko and such.

I thought Pienaar was talented! His link-up play with Baines was ridiculously good; they caused so many problems for teams, I remember wishing we had that kind of play on our flanks during the bad AVB/Ancelotti days.

Yeah, I agree that our attacking players need to be as skilful as those you will find at other top clubs. What's hurting us is the abundance of role-players masquerading as important first team players. Besides Hazard, the other attacking midfielders are several levels below where we need them to be.

I thought Pienaar was talented! His link-up play with Baines was ridiculously good; they caused so many problems for teams, I remember wishing we had that kind of play on our flanks during the bad AVB/Ancelotti days.

Yeah, I agree that our attacking players need to be as skilful as those you will find at other top clubs. What's hurting us is the abundance of role-players masquerading as important first team players. Besides Hazard, the other attacking midfielders are several levels below where we need them to be.

He was a fantastic player. For a midtable side though. I can imagine Willian having a similar impact at that level.

I dream of Isco, Koke, Gotze, Reus, looking at possible/realistic options. Or a new centre midfielder and push Fabregas up the pitch, though that's not exactly my favourite option. One of Oscar and Willian is acceptable, two is too much sadly. When the going gets tough, they can't be relied on.

He's a fantastic squad player, a Park Ji Sung if you like. But he shouldn't be starting for us.. i'm still a big fan because he gives his all, pressing, tackling, good feet and never stops running but honestly he's like a fish out of water when he gets into the box, cant score or pass... really getting frustrating. Against West Ham how many times was Costa through on goal and he completey messed up the pass? its really not good enough.

Willian was too expensive from the start. An explosive burst of pace, articulates his movement on and off the ball tastefully and has a real defensive engine for the modern game - but where's the x factor? Is he really worth £32m, a somewhat similiar price that was paid for a player with the meticulous competence and prospects of Eden Hazard? Bizarre. Here's hoping that if that much is spend on another player, he will be of exact worth.

Saying that Willian is a good winger is complete bollocks. As a pure winger, he offers fuck all to the attacking side of play. Salah is probably the best in this aspect, and has a higher ceiling. Schurrle is more of a second striker than a real winger, selfish, only squad player who shoots long, but if I had to choose, I would get rid of him. Because despite the fact he's a shit winger, he's a great at defending, which is the sole reason he is still here. He has the least end product of the lot.

It's incredible he somehow scored 2 goals against us in 1 game. I might die of shock if he ever scores a brace for Chelsea.

I can't believe we actually scout players based on how they perform against us (Salah another recent example). Surely the analysts will have realised that was a one-off and Wilian's end product is consistently appalling?

He was a fantastic player. For a midtable side though. I can imagine Willian having a similar impact at that level.

I dream of Isco, Koke, Gotze, Reus, looking at possible/realistic options. Or a new centre midfielder and push Fabregas up the pitch, though that's not exactly my favourite option. One of Oscar and Willian is acceptable, two is too much sadly. When the going gets tough, they can't be relied on.

Reus on the wing with Khedira in the pivot and Cesc in #10 is very realistic indeed. Not the most favoured option but it's both the most realistic and the most cost effective.

Also, isn't there some Barcelona contract rebel we were linked with?

I can't believe we actually scout players based on how they perform against us (Salah another recent example). Surely the analysts will have realised that was a one-off and Wilian's end product is consistently appalling?

Salah hasn't been given time to show his strengths. 1 game is not enough for match fitness.

Reus on the wing with Khedira in the pivot and Cesc in #10 is very realistic indeed. Not the most favoured option but it's both the most realistic and the most cost effective.

Also, isn't there some Barcelona contract rebel we were linked with?

Not a fan of Khedira personally. And I highly doubt both Willian and Oscar will be dropped.

No idea who you're talking about.