Roma 1-2 Chelsea

Jase

Man of the Match  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Who Is Your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Who Is Your Man of the Match? (subs)

1- The lost against Real was only a friendly, so that match would barely affect the "spirit" in the subsequent match.

2- This was only a friendly, and Mourinho changed to let his players play, as simple as that, if his main concern was the result, Hazard, Ramires, Cole and Cech would have started, instead of De Bruyne, Moses and the old keeper.

3- we have more options, Essien, Lukaku, Bruyne, Ginkel, Schurlle, so it means we have more player, not sure if flexibility is the word, the system is always the same: 4-2-3-1. Its only pre-season dude.

The loss against Real Madrid wasnt only a friendly, it was also our first real test of capacities against a top team and Mourinho prepared the match to win, and the players did the maximum to win.It is naive to think it did not affected the spirit, by seeing Ronaldo scoring dont you think Hazard for example was saying to himself "I have to be better" ? The affect of a defeat no matter the competition is always present in the head of professional footballers, the erros you made and the "losing sensation" is present.It is how to deal with that is the key of success and the team dealt well and responded strongly by showing "want to win mentality" at its finest.Look at Lampard's reaction when Lukaku scored for example, look at Mourinho's continious backing of the players in the second half compared to the first one.To improve your team you'll have to install a winning mentality and José is just doing that.

Mourinho changed the players that were not affecting the game in the good way and changed the apporoach, more offensive more risks, typical of him in both ways.He wanted to test his team when under pressure to see how to cope with urgent need of goals and good performance, Lampard comes in and bang, goal.Hazard? Same.Lukaku ? Made the physical impact that allowed Eden to express himself.The team wanted to win by all means and that is the spirit that made us what we are.I'm not glorifiying José's work, it is only my view about the last match of pre season.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

harsh. It's only preseason FFS

e31.jpg

chill_pill.jpg

harsh : YES.maybe.

its only pre-season : a very bad argument in my opinion. he was bought for 17mil, i mean 17 bloody million pounds. that is no joke. when u buy some1 for that amount, u have to expect that he can control the ball and pass it. this was his 7th pre-season match. u can say that his asian tour performances were weird, when he was tripping on the ball and all, because he was nervous playing for a new team and whatever. but his performance against milan (in which he and torres seemed to be make a spoof at a football match) and his performance today, says a lot. he had a chance to prove something today but instead he came up with a laughable performance. u can go to the match thread and see what i posted as soon as he and mikel were subbed. it was so obvious. most of the time these guys (including the blondie obviously) were just hapless.

also if some1 like moses had had such a poor-preseason; we would have come out with this forum's over-used motto - NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR CHELSEA.

ps - maybe its just that i woke up at 5 in the mornin (after sleeping at 2) and watched the most pathetic attacking display in the 1st half by our team and hence am exaggerating.

3 at the back? Didn't Ramires just move to RB when Terry went off?

Ramires - Cahill - Ivan - Bertrand

No, we switched to a 3-5-2 like formation. Similar to the formation we used against Liverpool in the FA Cup under Jose.

Just came back from RFK.

The game was OK, decent as friendlies go. I actually broke a rule of mine by attending this match... "if the players don't give a damn I sure as hell don't either... " still, not many opportunities to see the players in action.

JT and Luiz still make a wonderful pairing. They were the only thing holding Chelsea together in the first half because the midfield vanished. Essien has moments that remind us of the player he once was, but he was lost most of the time. Mikel was the usual Mikel, simple passes, no risk, no carrying the ball, and a few tackles... nothing horrible and nothing great... I just expect more from our starting holding mid.

I was not impressed at all by KDB, and for me the difference between him and Oscar became very clear in the second half. KDB was just not helping enough in the middle which caused Roma to dominate in the first half. Shirley had another poor game, but I still see more potential in him than Moses. I'm sorry I just don't see enough technique in Moses and have seen too many players doing what he does, and some a lot better than him.

Second half was far more interesting. We had a midfield in the second half. And we had a player, in Hazard, beating his marker and creating chances. Oscar did very well by always getting involved in the play, defense too. Ramires, the usual extremely high work rate and a good performance.

Nice to see some variation in tactics with 2 FWs and Ramires in the RB position. Very attacking-minded and interesting for the right occasion.

Still very worried about the striker position.