Future Chelsea Captain

Jase

Captaincy  

223 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the next Chelsea captain after JT retires?

But we have NEVER appointed vice captains. When JT comes off the pitch, he simply gives the armband to longest serving player on the pitch. That's whoever is on from Iva, Cahill and Mikel. There's also Rami as well but his English is still not great.

Btw, that is NOT what Jose said. The express were interpreting his comments the way that best sells papers. He said he understands why Cesc was captain at Arsenal. In that same interview they were referring to, he even said that here at Chelsea we have a culture of only giving the armband to players who have been here for years and years. So I doubt Cesc would be considered before 2-3 seasons.

We've always had vice-captains. Ballack and Makelele were effectively captaining the side from Dec-Jan 2007/08 whilst both Lampard and Terry were out of the team, despite there being numerous players who had been at the club longer than they had, particularly Ballack, who captained the side over the likes of Makelele, Cole, Bridge, Ferreira and Carvalho who had all been at the club far longer than he had at that time. Lampard was our vice-captain, with Drogba (until he left) and then Cech next down the pecking order. The fact those players happened to be the most experienced is irrelevant; there was a clear hierarchy in place regarding the captaincy at this club, of Terry -> Lampard -> Drogba -> Cech that is still evident even now. By the end of this season only Terry will still be there meaning we need new people to step forward. Captains aren't chosen based on who has been at the club the longest; they're chosen based on experience and the ability to lead - otherwise why were Terry and Lampard installed as captain and VC by Jose ahead of the oldest players at the club?

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've always had vice-captains. Ballack and Makelele were effectively captaining the side from Dec-Jan 2007/08 whilst both Lampard and Terry were out of the team, despite there being numerous players who had been at the club longer than they had, particularly Ballack, who captained the side over the likes of Makelele, Cole, Bridge, Ferreira and Carvalho who had all been at the club far longer than he had at that time. Lampard was our vice-captain, with Drogba (until he left) and then Cech next down the pecking order. The fact those players happened to be the most experienced is irrelevant; there was a clear hierarchy in place regarding the captaincy at this club, of Terry -> Lampard -> Drogba -> Cech that is still evident even now. By the end of this season only Terry will still be there meaning we need new people to step forward. Captains aren't chosen based on who has been at the club the longest; they're chosen based on experience and the ability to lead - otherwise why were Terry and Lampard installed as captain and VC by Jose ahead of the oldest players at the club?

I get all that, and there has also been plenty of examples to the contrary like the 2012-13 season where we had JT, Frank and even Cole out of the XI for much of the season and even last season in the league cup a few times (Essien wore it a couple of times, gave it to Ash once and Mikel another time).

I'm just saying that we don't need to "appoint" vice-captains, even with Didier and Petr's departure because firstly that will hardly change anything regarding to our XI or even susbs since those two are the least used senior players this season along with Salah. Right now, when JT comes off, the armband goes to Iva, then Cahill then Mikel. After those are probably Matic, Azpi and Cesc.

There won't be an issue with doing that next season unless JT is no longer first choice which is a long shot since he's currently our best CB.

I get all that, and there has also been plenty of examples to the contrary like the 2012-13 season where we had JT, Frank and even Cole out of the XI for much of the season and even last season in the league cup a few times (Essien wore it a couple of times, gave it to Ash once and Mikel another time).

I'm just saying that we don't need to "appoint" vice-captains, even with Didier and Petr's departure because firstly that will hardly change anything regarding to our XI or even susbs since those two are the least used senior players this season along with Salah. Right now, when JT comes off, the armband goes to Iva, then Cahill then Mikel. After those are probably Matic, Azpi and Cesc.

There won't be an issue with doing that next season unless JT is no longer first choice which is a long shot since he's currently our best CB.

The title is Future Chelsea Captain ,,I consider it a topic worthy of discussion . It is not suggesting we appoint a vice Captain .

There has been so good discussion about possible candidates ,, but if it is upsetting you perhaps you should ignore the thread.

The title is Future Chelsea Captain ,,I consider it a topic worthy of discussion . It is not suggesting we appoint a vice Captain .

There has been so good discussion about possible candidates ,, but if it is upsetting you perhaps you should ignore the thread.

How exactly did you come to the conclusion that I am upset? Am I not allowed to debate my opinion about the matter that we do not need a new Chelsea captain next season?

I'm debating specific points in some posts. I realize we will eventually need to replace JT and I gave my full opinion on who it should be in the Fabregas thread. I'm no way discouraging debate here.

How exactly did you come to the conclusion that I am upset? Am I not allowed to debate my opinion about the matter that we do not need a new Chelsea captain next season?

I'm debating specific points in some posts. I realize we will eventually need to replace JT and I gave my full opinion on who it should be in the Fabregas thread. I'm no way discouraging debate here.

A sarcastic remark like "Is JT retiring" was just one remark .. there are others .

I'm sure I said this a while ago and now that Jose has mentioned Cesc being connected to his brain and something about the captain being connected to the managers brain, I reckon he could eventually become a Chelsea captain and quite frankly I wouldn't be disappointed. You don't captain Arsenal at 21 or 22 unless you have the necessary leadership skills, some people could argue its because he was their best player at the time but I disagree with that completely, if your best player isn't a leader why would you make him captain?

Preferably I'd like to see a homegrown player as captain but I can't see Cahill being captain. Azpi also could be a potential captain in my eyes, when he plays he constantly sets an example as a very competitive football player and has only excelled after a sticky start to his Chelsea career under Di Matteo firstly where he hardly played and then after a difficult start under Jose before getting back in the team and establishing himself as the best LB in terms of performances in the Premier League for the last 4 or 5 months of the season and continuing to play very well so far this season. Will be interesting too, if Cech goes in January who will become vice captain? Branna?

Choulo is wrong and Alex is correct.

Incredibly tempted to have this quote in my sig :lol:

I look at this squad of ours and I consider who is really captaincy material? Besides Terry, there's only really Ivanovic and Cesc I'd give the armband too. Ramires and Azpi, IMO, are too meek in terms of their character to be captains - they aren't natural leaders. I don't think either of them would be effective captains. Ivan wears his heart on his sleeve and incredibly vocal, and Cesc is obviously a proven captain from his time at Arsenal. Elsewhere in the squad, who else is there? You can make arguments for Matic and Costa but they're either not established enough in the side or don't have the experience with the armband.

One of my choice right now would be Cahill. Reason being that he is like a clone of Terry. Possess similar playing style and more importantly, he's a strong and wise character on and off the pitch. He is by no means a finished article just yet and can definitely still improve but he has the qualities to be a great leader of the team. Tends to speak quite well to the media too.

Reading my post again, which was posted 2 years ago, think I've changed my mind on this. Cahill would have been a really good candidate to replace Terry as he captained Bolton (yes, I know it's only Bolton but still captain nonetheless) and has been playing first team-football for ages now. But after 2 1/2 years at the club, don't think his leadership qualities have developed the way they should have, especially after playing alongside Terry. Like most have mentioned, he seems to get a bit lost when there isn't a leader beside him. Do think he can give orders and organize things on the pitch but just not vocal enough in the manner that I probably want my team captain to be. Would arguably classify him as a 2nd/3rd tier captain, but not 1st.

Surprised to see no one mention Matic. Plays every game, shows great attitude every single time and to my knowledge is well like by the other players. If it was up to me it would be between him and Fabregas at the moment.

Surprised to see no one mention Matic. Plays every game, shows great attitude every single time and to my knowledge is well like by the other players. If it was up to me it would be between him and Fabregas at the moment.

with you on that, matic is natural for it, as well as fab, zouma is also future captain material. when jt retires

Not sure about Fabregas at the moment. Yeah, he's playing as an example, his stats are quite up there. However, he still seems to be finding his natural leadership role within this team.. If he is to be captain, he must stop with the constant flirting with Arsenal. Remarks like his "invincibles" ones are, understandable but, not what you really want to hear from your club captain.

Instead of the "who's been here the longest" I cosign the calls to make someone like Hazard our captain. He may not have demonstrated leadership as yet, but I think it would act as positive reinforcement from Mourinho. It would be Mourinho saying "I understand you're still young, but you're the future of this club.. So lead them". There's no doubt Eden is our best player right now.

Giving him the armband upon Terry's retirement will give him a lot of confidence. Ivanovic, Matic & Cahill will be there to guide him and they obviously respect him.