Future Chelsea Captain

Jase

Captaincy  

223 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the next Chelsea captain after JT retires?

Wouldn't mind if it happened. Tho, for some reason, I think Bertrand is more likely to do it.

I know it's always difficult to pick the right captain but with the players we have right now it seems to be even more difficult, at least for me. A few years ago we had Terry, Lampard, Cech, A. Cole, Malouda, Essien, Drogba, Carvalho, Ballack, Alex and even Joe Cole of which everyone could've been easily our captain. We definitively lack leadership atm.

Yeah but it takes time for some right now to be fully comfortable at the club given that we are slowly overhauling the squad. Definitely also need some to step up like Luiz, Ivanovic etc.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Luiz deserves a shout too. A likable fellow amongst the team and he's always cheering his teammates to go on if we're having a hard match. Might not be the most reliable defender but I believe he has a good mentality on and off the pitch.

Cahill all day for me, there's no reason to say otherwise imo. English, in the back 4, has captained before i think and possesses real leadership qualities. Vice captain.... Ivan.

Cahill was the vice captain at Bolton and has been as captain several times too over there.

I think Luiz deserves a shout too. A likable fellow amongst the team and he's always cheering his teammates to go on if we're having a hard match. Might not be the most reliable defender but I believe he has a good mentality on and off the pitch.

True but maybe his over-jovial character could work against him. That said, he definitely needs to sort out his defending and recklessness first. Players won't have faith in him if he's not reliable at all on the pitch. Leaders also need to lead by example.

Yes, i thought of that, but i can't see Cech just leaving. He will still be around, maybe just not play every single game.

Maybe more suitable to be the vice captain then. And this Courtois-Cech keeper issue is rather annoying! :lol:

Yeah but it takes time for some right now to be fully comfortable at the club given that we are slowly overhauling the squad. Definitely also need some to step up like Luiz, Ivanovic etc.

TBH I don't see any player with this "never say die" attitude Terry possesses on our roster. Maybe some of our current guys will speak up in the next 2-3 years but I don't really believe any of them will be THE leader. If anyone I only see Bertrand becoming a vocal presence. But I have high hopes for McEachran and Chalobah if they manage to develop into first team players at Chelsea.

From a (albeit, very limited) playing perspective, there's something gritty and respectable about watching your own lumbering CB throw his body into shots to block them, thrash opposing forwards, and scream at all the prima donna attacking players (myself not excluded) to get their heads out their asses when they're down lol it really galvanizes a team when facing adversity. not to bemoan the importance of other positions at all, but I could see cahill or Luiz doing that just fine. Maybe the language advantage giving it to Cahill.

Is Cahill only getting these votes of confidence because he's English? ._.

Although he shouts a lot on the pitch, he doesn't seem comfortable in press conferences or in interviews etc, where your captain really does need to take control, otherwise he'll end up getting slaughtered by the press.

As for Mata, I don't think it would be wise making someone with such a small voice who can still not speak our language too well our captain.

Although I really don't want him as captain, Cech feels like the obvious choice.

It shows what our team has become (I'm not trying to be negative.)

Just a few seasons ago, players like Ballack, Carvalho, Essien, etc. would all be in with a shout.

Obviously none of us really know how these characters are on the pitch. But if Cahill were to be a great motivator then he'd be fine as captain. The press is the least of our worries. Certainly a captain who can handle the press is good if you can get it, but if it comes down to great on field motivator and shitty press man V great press man and average on field motivator, I'll take the former all day long.

Maybe more suitable to be the vice captain then. And this Courtois-Cech keeper issue is rather annoying! :lol:

Nah, it will be great to have 2 top goalies :D

Anyway Cahill will probably be captain... funny how the top English teams have their CB's as captain - Kompany, Vermaelen, Vidic, King before he retired.

Is Cahill only getting these votes of confidence because he's English? ._.

Although he shouts a lot on the pitch, he doesn't seem comfortable in press conferences or in interviews etc, where your captain really does need to take control, otherwise he'll end up getting slaughtered by the press.

As for Mata, I don't think it would be wise making someone with such a small voice who can still not speak our language too well our captain.

Although I really don't want him as captain, Cech feels like the obvious choice.

It shows what our team has become (I'm not trying to be negative.)

Just a few seasons ago, players like Ballack, Carvalho, Essien, etc. would all be in with a shout.

I don't think we lack leadership like before, it just appears that way because of the overhaul. Players still need to blend and adapt. We have a whole new core and we need to get to know the players personalities before making such statements. As for who could potentially become our future captain I think it's too soon to say, although Cahill at the moment looks like the best candidate for me personally.

• The captain should be a regular starter for the first team so that the role is not wasted on a player who rarely plays and so the team is playing with the same leader consistently. Players may find it difficult to motivate themselves to play with a new captain but consistent use of the captain will help.

• In addition to this the captain should be one of the side’s better players. He is therefore less likely to be replaced in the side, resulting in the need to appoint a new captain. This will also help with the motivation of the rest of the team to play under the captain.

• The player should be one of the more senior members of the squad in terms of age. They should ideally also have been at the club for at least a few years.

• In terms of attributes, the most important to consider is influence. The captain should also be brave, determined, hard worker and b team player in order to be an effective role model on the pitch.

• The player should preferably be amongst the favoured personnel of other members of the squad. At any rate, you should not appoint a captain who is widely disliked.

I go for Mikel as captain and Cahill as vice captain.

Yeah but that might be a problem in itself. Not sure if either Cech or Courtois will be happy sitting on the bench.

That's true, but Courtois is young and will have to be a little patient. They will both share the position for a season or 2 before Courtois then takes over.

is there anything wrong with saying Cahill just because he is English? Most teams have a captain from the country they are from

Barcelona- Puyol

Real Madrid- Casillas

AC Milan- Ambrosini

etc. etc.

Of course if there is a better foreign candidate than an English player then they should be considered. It does help though because you would have a better understanding of the English game and English language. There are more important things than that though like how well you can motivate other players, your commitment, how you set an example to other players and have a genuine affection for the club.

Contenders for me have in 4 years time: Cech, Ivanovic (both captains of their national teams at the moment), Romeu, Cahill, Bertrand

For me, Vincent Kompany is the model captain of a football team. He is a great player, shows fantastic commitment and seems like a nice guy off the pitch. He also does not behave like a prat off the pitch like a certain Chelsea captain...