Charly Musonda Jr.

Peppi85

First, terrible move. Even if he plays alot he will have to prove it all again when he comes back because scottish league is miles below PL. 

Secondly, Willian is injured and we ship another decent winger away with already thin squad? Surely by all standards we should buy someone like Baily now but we obviously wont.

Third, why did he delete all connections with Chelsea? Wasnt his dream to play here, or was that just big bullshit and he will pull De Bruyne eventualy...?

Musonda isn't a winger at all, and he probably won't play winger at Celtic. A few games here as a winger doesn't compare to half to a full season playing in his natural position (It'll probably be Sinclair - Musonda - Roberts, hopefully behind Dembele. How is that not an exciting group of players to throw him in the mix with?)

Brendan Rodgers already knows & likes Musonda; Musonda already knows & likes Rodgers. 
Celtic are under the microscope of many great European teams, where Premier League teams outside the top 6-or-so aren't. If we don't want him, at least the likes of Bayern, Inter, whoever, will probably have scouts on him. Would they track him at Crystal Palace, Real Sociedad or Stoke? I doubt it. But they do follow consistent league-winners, regardless of the league. 
The SPL's never been stronger (really) - better players than ever, & all the best teams in the league are there (Rangers back in 2nd place); surely derbies in front of 65k fans against hard-tacklers is good?
Next season, he's guaranteed a few full European games. He could start vs. PSG or Barcelona, as Celtic often get one of them - would he play those games here? Worst case scenario he's starting a game vs. Benfica or Porto instead. Still, better than here.
He's playing for aggressive fans with high expectations; like the hard-tacklers of the SPL, the fans should further hurry up his development mentally.
If he doesn't leave, Dembele will be a brilliant partner to simply enjoy his football with; and enjoying football is important in the development of young players.

He's in an environment where he'll give his all every game, which is needed to test and push his limits.
But, yes, if this loan is super successful, I imagine he still won't get into our team - either sold, or then loaned to a Ligue 1 or La Liga side (again), which won't be half as entertaining or productive as this loan. I could also imagine a second loan to Celtic before selling him to them for around 20m. Which would be world's-smallest-violin sad for us. But not bad at all for Musonda. 

I think we've done about the best move for the player, all-in-all. If Lyon or Monaco were short of players though, they would've been even better. 

For me it's clear now he should be moulded into something like Ozil. Expect him only to provide the very final ball for another player to finish off, and expect him to do it with the best ball control on the pitch. An assist machine in the right set-up. Not really a playmaker.

First, terrible move. Even if he plays alot he will have to prove it all again when he comes back because scottish league is miles below PL. 
Secondly, Willian is injured and we ship another decent winger away with already thin squad? Surely by all standards we should buy someone like Baily now but we obviously wont.
Third, why did he delete all connections with Chelsea? Wasnt his dream to play here, or was that just big bullshit and he will pull De Bruyne eventualy...?
They'll be in Europe along with the fact he's guaranteed game time. I'd obviously have preferred him to stay here, but the move should be a very good one for him.

Lets hope he can build himself like a few others have in recent years over there and come back in a place of real contention to start games.

• 2 weeks later...

So far he's been like Ozil. Anonymous off the ball, exciting on the ball. 

He seems like a luxury player. The last cherry to add on top of a team, not the type of player to build the team around (like Hazard). If he doesn't assist pretty much every game I don't think he'll be playing for us long term. But a lot comes down to our next manager+formation.

3 hours ago, Leif said:

So far he's been like Ozil. Anonymous off the ball, exciting on the ball. 

He seems like a luxury player. The last cherry to add on top of a team, not the type of player to build the team around (like Hazard). If he doesn't assist pretty much every game I don't think he'll be playing for us long term. But a lot comes down to our next manager+formation.

Think the penny will drop for him up here. He'll soon learn that you need to be more than just a luxury player at Celtic, James Forrest was keeping Patrick Roberts out of the team for the very reason he would work harder off the ball in comparison although maybe he doesn't have the same ability level as Roberts. I might go watch Celtic one of these next few weeks, seeing Musonda play in person would be quite cool.   

Consensus is he needs more time, but has been a passenger so far. Nobody hates the guy, but nobody is confident with him, yet.

To me, the loan looks good for him still. It's a medium, average burn he's on, and that's what he needs. As long as he can get minutes & not get outplayed or bullied for a whole season it's a successful loan. 
He may not be taking charge as people want him to, but he's not falling into highlight reels as a bad player either. 

I think after 20 or so games he'll really get into his rhythm, and i think then he'll be worth watching every week.

This loan is vital for Charly.

If Charly is going to take that next step, then his game has to make progress at Celtic Park. He has to focus on being efficient, over being brilliant. His displays must demonstrate that this penny has dropped. If not, even those still clinging to the myth that he was brilliant during his first spell at Betis will start to loose belief in a Chelsea future for Charly.

On 2/11/2018 at 7:55 AM, Dazzy_Vance said:

He’s done. Will be loaned around to minnow leagues for the next ten years.

Hello DV,

Is this your long standing opinion, or are you reacting to some action you saw over the weekend? I haven't watched Charly at all since he's been with The Bhoys.

I think if he had proper pace, he could develop his instinct to shoot more and essentially become a Hazard clone - right now he has the intelligence to distract 3 players at once while teammates get into attacking positions, which is basically what sets Hazard himself above the rest.

Yet he lacks the pace.

So central he should be, probably, considering his off days resemble a lazy but still talented Ozil.

If we'd been playing 4231 for the past 2 seasons and clearly intended to for the foreseeable future, he'd make it here; hundreds of starts.
But with how things are here, I see it more likely he flourishes elsewhere. Which is fine as long as it's not for an English rival.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Tidy but not influential in a 0-0 draw today. Played the whole game, most of it on the right. Became a different beast once in the centre. Didn't play with Dembele/Roberts/other talented flair players today, but a mix of fringe players.

He was actually awarded MOTM, but Celtic fans contest it, saying another player deserves it by far.

Edit:
To add more, Celtic fans generally agree that right now he's impact-player quality, not starter quality, not for us or Celtic. 
But, all the people who've been foaming at the mouth over Musonda for the past few years aren't wrong. He'll become starter quality rapidly like the best youngsters do. 

Currently he's flashy for flashiness sake, and needs to develop a more direct, fast-pass approach. He needs to be less of a circa 2010 Barcelona player, for us, Celtic, whoever he plays for. & finally, everyone acknowledges that, like Hazard, Musonda's instantly the most targeted player Celtic have, and by default, the league. Opposition double up on him, or triple, and tackle him hard. People are surprised he hasn't already gained an injury, & give him props for getting up quickly and steadily whenever he's taken down.

''He looks like he has the touches. But a team like us cant afford luxury players. There's got to be an end product or else there's no point in starting him.''