Chelsea v Manchester United

Jase

excellent point there. and that's why it's up to our defenders talking and midfielders to be more aware. i thought we were bad in that department against shaktar and one of the main reasons we lost.

but i agree if we do mark rooney out of the game he will most like come really deep to get the ball and there be very less effective as i'm sure oscar will be helping (tremendously as usual defensively) and then he will be in front of mikel and ramires

John Terry will be a miss, although not very vocal against Shakhtar it was an away game in a very intimidating atmosphere and with the early goal it just didn't help with what ended up being as we all know a all round poor performance. We need voices as you say and we need leaders in the back 4 and beyond really. Lampard will probably have to drop deep at times with the nature of the opposition but I'm looking at Peter Cech now to be the leader amongst men and to be telling players what he wants and where he wants it. He needs to find a voice and be more organised along with the other experienced players like Ashley Cole

Be interesting to say the least especially if we concede first to see how we react. I do fear another collapse if that happens though

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Terry will be a miss, although not very vocal against Shakhtar it was an away game in a very intimidating atmosphere and with the early goal it just didn't help with what ended up being as we all know a all round poor performance. We need voices as you say and we need leaders in the back 4 and beyond really. Lampard will probably have to drop deep at times with the nature of the opposition but I'm looking at Peter Cech now to be the leader amongst men and to be telling players what he wants and where he wants it. He needs to find a voice and be more organised along with the other experienced players like Ashley Cole

Be interesting to say the least especially if we concede first to see how we react. I do fear another collapse if that happens though

im not sure lampard will be playing, but against man u we will need leaders in general.

as someone else said im scared that we will go down by one and we will collapse. I just hope someone will take the game by the scruff of its neck and take it to man u (like mata did against tottenham). someone doing this expels confidence through the entire team and that is essential

the one thing i am worried about is rooney. i thought that our double pivot left a little too much room last game and that willian went in between our defenders and double pivot all too easily. i saw numerous times that he would just drop in there and do what he wanted with the ball.

this is not just the double pivots fault, even though they do need to be more aware, but the defenders need to be more vocal and tell them where they need to mark. simple things such as LEFT! LEFT! or something, cause they can't always see right behind them. im scared rooney is going to exploit this area and it will hurt us.

ive been trying to keep my expectations low this season because i do think it is a transition year and the games against arsenal and tottenham ive said i dont think we will win and we have; so i am going to stick to that and hope we again prove me wrong.

I don't think we'll have that same problem with Rooney. Willian caused problems because he STARTED out wide and would move in, Teixeira did the same on the other side. Since Rooney will be starting in the hole in the first place, it's just man marking at that point which I don't think we'll have a problem with.

I don't think we'll have that same problem with Rooney. Willian caused problems because he STARTED out wide and would move in, Teixeira did the same on the other side. Since Rooney will be starting in the hole in the first place, it's just man marking at that point which I don't think we'll have a problem with.

It actually wouldn't surprise me if Fergie changes his system completely for this game after Wednesday's showing. The diamond he's trying to play isn't working and Rooney may be pushed back up top alongside RVP or Hernandez in a front 2 with the midfield supporting more, there lies the problem if he does do that with watching the runners and being able to mark them. Something I'd be less confident in us doing

It actually wouldn't surprise me if Fergie changes his system completely for this game after Wednesday's showing. The diamond he's trying to play isn't working and Rooney may be pushed back up top alongside RVP or Hernandez in a front 2 with the midfield supporting more, there lies the problem if he does do that with watching the runners and being able to mark them. Something I'd be less confident in us doing

The Diamond is working very well. ManU have been scoring a lot of goals. Rooney and RVP have basically played 4.5 games together and ManU have scored 14 goals in that time. Their problems have been defensive and more to do with lack of talent at certain spots than anything else. .

The Diamond is working very well. ManU have been scoring a lot of goals. Rooney and RVP have basically played 4.5 games together and ManU have scored 14 goals in that time. Their problems have been defensive and more to do with lack of talent at certain spots than anything else. .

Not so sure about the diamond, yes there scoring the goals but there pushing that many up with what is effectively a 4-3-3 with Rooney. Maybe need the wingers to drop in more central and help control it because there very poor at tracking back. That could be an area where we can get at them though thinking about it if they play that way

Not so sure about the diamond, yes there scoring the goals but there pushing that many up with what is effectively a 4-3-3 with Rooney. Maybe need the wingers to drop in more central and help control it because there very poor at tracking back. That could be an area where we can get at them though thinking about it if they play that way

I see what you mean. Their shape does go off because Rooney often has to drift a fair bit. He himself does get back to defend, but they have to do something to fix their defensive problems (besides hope for Vidic to come back healthy). There definitely should be space for both teams to exploit and there will be a lot of firepower on the pitch. Really looking forward to the match.

Our three of Hazard, Mata and Oscar need to perform and take the game to United because I cannot see us keeping a clean sheet, and they are defensively poor and lack pace, and their midfield offer little protection at the moment.

If our three perform like they did against Spurs we have a good chance of winning because United will present us with chances and space to work in. Torres also needs to put away any chances he gets.

Our three of Hazard, Mata and Oscar need to perform and take the game to United because I cannot see us keeping a clean sheet, and they are defensively poor and lack pace, and their midfield offer little protection at the moment.

If our three perform like they did against Spurs we have a good chance of winning because United will present us with chances and space to work in. Torres also needs to put away any chances he gets.

I just wish Torres would shoot more often, even if it's off-target, make the goalie work, give him something to think about.

Cech

Iva - Cahill - Luiz - Cole

Ramires - Mikel

Mata - Oscar - Hazard

Sturridge

And please bring Moses in when needed to get some width, maybe even start him.

Theirs no point putting in sturridge after him hardly playing so far, Torres will start because of experience, the extra height, and defensive responsibilities, whether sturridge players or not thats yet to be seen, I'd argue lampard would be needed here for a big game, but he's injured so otherwise i agree.

LOL, Torres will not start ahead of Sturridge due to "his height". That is ridiculous. Regarding Lamps, shame he is injured but I am quite positive that even if he was fit he would of been a sub for this game.

LOL, Torres will not start ahead of Sturridge due to "his height". That is ridiculous. Regarding Lamps, shame he is injured but I am quite positive that even if he was fit he would of been a sub for this game.

90% of balls headed out from corner when drogba played was from drogba, height IS important, especially when your midfield has only 1 player is over 6 foot, defensive headers from set pieces and crosses are very important or have you forgetting how Man Utd play?....torres is a better defender when needed and when defending high balls he can be of use...

90% of balls headed out from corner when drogba played was from drogba, height IS important, especially when your midfield has only 1 player is over 6 foot, defensive headers from set pieces and crosses are very important or have you forgetting how Man Utd play?....torres is a better defender when needed and when defending high balls he can be of use...

Fair point but I don't think that would be a reason for RDM to start him. I think it comes down due to the fact that he believes Torres works well with the team and although Torres has his off games we are managing to win our league games even if it means him not getting on the scoresheet whereas Sturridge is not a proven out and out striker, even though I believe he has what ti takes to get bags of goals in the CF position

Advantage united:  

-An open end to end game would suit man utd more, specially when the game stretches to the point where it's our defenders (6) vs utd attackers (likely to be 4). (fact: we are new to this open attacking style, but united arent and an open game is pretty much what they thrive on) 

-United wingers or wingbacks would be waiting to attack our fullbacks ESP Ivanovic due to his lack of pace and with the likes of Valencia's pace, they won't be afraid to test Ashley too.

-With Rooney and Rvp, they not only have quality strikers but because both of them are equally capable of playing as a 9 and a 1/5 ( dropping deep to play as playmakers) this might create all sorts of confusion between our centerbacks and holding midfielders

-Our 3 attack minded players (Oscar, Mata and Hazard) are not good at their defensive duties

/ tracking back. Though Oscar seems to be disciplined enough to mark one of their defensive midfielders, ( an example being against juventus, and how he closed down Pirlo) but since utd are most likely to attack from the wings most of the time, the other 2 wide players have to track back and provide some cover. 

- our lack of height (or players who can head) has resulted in us conceding more goals from set pieces, (though minus drogba, we are basically the same side, so still not sure why) but the fact remains we are poor, whereas utd are very strong, so we can expect alot of crosses and set pieces coming.

- one sole reason that makes me want to play Lampard is because of his ability to dictate and control the pace of the game, ESP when periods of anxiety sets in (mostly near the end, united will keep knocking) we would need a cool headed player to keep possession. But without him someone has to step up, which till now I haven't seen ( Mikel and Oscar are most  likely to do so IMO) 

-our wingbacks might never get the chance to bombard if we can't have proper possession, leaving our attack too narrow and congested.

Advantage Chelsea: 

-Although an open game with a lot of spaces all over the pitch would suit united more, with the new players we have and thankxs to Man u's defensive frailty, we have an equal if not more chance to take advantage of such a scenario. 

-Not only we are playing at home, we are in a better form than them if the recent PL results are anything to go by, and the timing couldn't have been more perfect for us.

- United's midfield isn't the best, and we have faced more intimidating midfield than them, so although not necessarily a proper advantage, it still is a positive news. 

-our defense is in much better shape than theirs, not only that, our attackers are equally capable of matching their attackers. (hoping Torres to rise up, agreed no signs have been seen,  but I still believe he is a big game player) 

-Pete is in the form of his life, and in an open game like this, surely a world class save or two would matter. 

- Rafael  if played should be tested ( in general their right backs) looks to be the weakest plus his forward runs leave space that Hazard can exploit ( but also must be weary of his attacking threat)  

- as much as we want to control possession, with the likes of Scholes and Giggs they have players who are likely to end up controlling the match, 

This is why Oscar's role in closing them down is important. Luckily Oscar has already proved he can do that. 

Manchester united formation

United have always played 4-4-2 and i don't see any reason why they won't. But having said that with the likes of kagaawa, Rvp, they can now play in a diamond formation ( Sir AF himself suggesting it.) so as well as from the wings, they might be more narrow and direct from the center.

Chelsea formation: 

4-2-3-1 as always,  and 4-1-4-1  is a must while not in possession.

Chelsea squad:

pete

Iva-Cahill-___-ash

Mikel-____

____-mata-hazard 

Torres 

The 3 empty spaces are for players I'm not sure of:

Terry or Luiz: JT will be helpful in dealing with crosses and blocking everything in general plus he has  his experience (not to forget he has a point to prove against ferdinand) 

but his lack of pace is something to think about. Luiz on the other hand, well ure just not sure, he might be his best or worse, but him and Cahill have looked reall good while paired up and they give our back line some pace.

Lamps or Ramires: not that I'm a fan of frank  playing that role, but playing him (if he is fit ie) will help us in controlling possession and dictate the play. Whereas playing Ramires in the middle of the park would provide us with a bundle of energy but our midfield might suffer in keeping the ball.

Oscar or Ramires: leaving out Oscar would be hard, ESP if we need someone up top to chase and close down, but having said that Ramires on the flank would provide us with the cover for Iva. 

Other players: Sturridge might get a chance but only as a sub, though he might have the speed to ask one or two question and has to be better than Torres  in one v one, he completely lacks in aerial abilities and he hasn't started any of our games this year, so unless RDM thinks his desperate desire to prove might lead him to a world class performance, he has little chance of being in the starting lineup. 

Moses: might needed if we need some width and covering for Iva but only as a sub.

Ryan: can see him coming on if we are ahead and want to end that way, 

Would provide the cover for cole.

Final words:

This must be our biggest test yet, specially for our defense. With the likes of Rvp and Rooney, United will surely test our CB's, and will be a constant headache not only to our centerbacks but also to our DMF's as they would certainly try to drift in "the hole".  At the same time, players like nani, Valencia and their wingbacks (try to double up) will surely want to isolate our wingback and have a go at them, our wide attacking players have to help out in this case.

The worry in midfield is, on paper atleast,  United looks like they have the upper hand, and might dominate that area. To counter this we might need our playmakers to help out.

As long as we can play as a unit and not get too stretched out that our attackers and defenders separate  into two groups of 6 and 4 and our attackers track back, we have more than enough quality in attack to score goals ESP against a weakened defense as theirs. 

Hence, IMO the game wont be  decided on which team scores the most, but which team will concede less.  

Theirs no point putting in sturridge after him hardly playing so far, Torres will start because of experience, the extra height, and defensive responsibilities, whether sturridge players or not thats yet to be seen, I'd argue lampard would be needed here for a big game, but he's injured so otherwise i agree.

Torres may have alot more experience but he as alot less motivation, confidence and at the moment; skill.

Extra height? I hope that was a joke.

Defensive responsibilities. I get so mad when I hear about that. Like seriousley, do we want a CF with defensive responsibilities or one that scores so he doesnt have to track back?

tbh sturridge isnt better then torres neither is torres any good! were stuck with useless strikers as of know!