Chelsea v Manchester United

Jase

Also scored 4 in 8 in the league.

Is he back to his best? No. But does he offer more to the team than Sturridge? Yes.

I disagree. I think Danny is more of a goal scoring mindset player. While Fernando wants to be a #10. Danny should be more useful since we already have HOM. But I might be overrating Danny cause I'm mostly thinking of him under AVB.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's ridiculous. How can you that when Sturridge hasn't played 90 minutes of football for ages.

No it's not, your all slagging the guy off (with made up stats sometimes), fact is he has 2:1 goal ratio which is good, his conversion rate of clear cut chances is better than RVPs this year, he has won more aerial duels than anyone else in the team and he is third in terms of key passes.

Getting tired of the constant criticism of the guy. We don't win it's Torres fault, we do win and he obviously did nothing.... can only imagine what kind of fracas would have occurred on here had it been he rather than Hazard who practically gifted Shaktar there second goal.

I disagree. I think Danny is more of a goal scoring mindset player. While Fernando wants to be a #10. Danny should be more useful since we already have HOM. But I might be overrating Danny cause I'm mostly thinking of him under AVB.

I like Sturridge, I think he should start games over Nando (who has started every game this year) but Utd is not the time to throw him in the deep end of leading the line. Anyone arguing otherwise needs to prove to me that he can do it.

No it's not, your all slagging the guy off (with made up stats sometimes), fact is he has 2:1 goal ratio which is good, his conversion rate of clear cut chances is better than RVPs this year, he has won more aerial duels than anyone else in the team and he is third in terms of key passes.

Getting tired of the constant criticism of the guy. We don't win it's Torres fault, we do win and he obviously did nothing.... can only imagine what kind of fracas would have occurred on here had it been he rather than Hazard who practically gifted Shaktar there second goal.

to be fair Danny had a better goal ratio when he played for us and Bolton I believe. we also need a #9 that can score when things are going bad.

I like Sturridge, I think he should start games over Nando (who has started every game this year) but Utd is not the time to throw him in the deep end of leading the line. Anyone arguing otherwise needs to prove to me that he can do it.

Danny shouldn't start against united but he should have played against Shakta. OOscar should have been rested too.

Ok I kinda understand your fustration, but First and foremost, we have to understand that Sturridge has never started a game this season, and even though he has played a handful of minutes here and there as a sub, it's hasn't been enough time for him to familiarize with our new attacking player. Whereas Torres who has started almost every match, has already showed us, he can link up with our attacking playmakers. (well atleast when he wants to)

How many matches did Bertrand start before the CL final?

If he is fit enough he should start simple as that - because he offers more than Torres. Like I've said Torres's link up play is nothing special he has 71% passing accuracy which is nothing spectacular when over 70% of his passes are sideways or backwards, when we have Mata; Hazard and Oscar always moving into channels.

So it's not about Sturridge is in a better form than torres, hell!! Most of the strikers in pl must be better than him currently, (so comparing with our rivals is not even a question, Obvsly dey are better) but out of all the strikers, we only have Torres who is familiar to our system and players. This is the sole reason why he will be picked.

Torres will be picked because he is a bigger name, Sturridge trains with the same players and within the same system as Torres; he knows most of our players for a longer time than Fernando - Sturridge is not some striker we bought this summer who is still adapting to the EPL and our team.

Have you thought without Torres, our attacking players (hazard, Oscar and Mata) have an average height of a midget, and would provide no threat whatsoever in any kind of aerial duel (Sturridge being the same). Imagine out of all the 5 attackers upfront, non of them having atleast the capability to challenge for a duel, that is just ridiculous. And your statement that if we End up playing long ball, we wil concede possession is sound, but in a 90 min game we will have to throw long ball ocassionally, you think Sir Af won't try to capitalize on this weakness?? What if the United players put pressure high up the pitch, and Cech has the ball, he can't keep holding it can he?? He will be forced to throw a long ball, even if we don't wanna, and when this happens we would need a target man,and that role is better suited for Torres than Sturridge. Same in set pieces (defending or attacking) Torres height will be key as it would add another threat/marker. And it doesn't matter if his good at defending or not, cause the reason he is there is not because he is good, but because we don't have any option as we lack players with height, so torres is simply there out of necessity, a necessity that Sturridge can't help us with!

Torres - Height, 1.83 m (6 ft 0 in)

Sturridge - Height, 1.88 m (6 ft 2 in)

Yeah Torres is much more of an aerial threat than Sturridge in winning long balls or helping the defenders due to his height and Sturridge being a MIDGET! :D

And Agreed!! Torres might be bad, as he seems to have lost his pace so he can no longer beat defenders like he used to, and he looks too scared to shoot and miss. But one thing Torres does is stretch the back line, he will pull them left, right and center, not to mention he leads the line really well (well not really true), and most important thing is he creates space for our playmaker , that you cant deny!!!

You think stretching the back line by moving to the wing is something that exemplifies Torres from criticism about him never making runs in the box trying to beat his markers?

Fact is that any half decent forward can stretch the defense for such skillful players that require very little space to operate like Hazard; Mata and Oscar.

Ps: I wonder why Torres never got any rest specially in Cl this week, because it would've been the perfect time to check out Sturridge, and how he would fare. Plus Torres would get some rest too. Maybe RDM has a secretive plan to play Sturridge afterall :)

We shall find out, Torres looked nakered when he came off

Can we please not turn this into yet another Sturridge vs Torres thread?

I can't believe red nose is blaming the refereeing for not winning at the bridge the last 10 visits, especially considering what happened last year with the two non-existent penalties.

Danny shouldn't start against united but he should have played against Shakta. OOscar should have been rested too.

I'd rather start him against slightly weaker opposition.

Might have been better to start Beyrand against Shaktar, they really out fought us in midfield. But hey I'm putting that performance down to fatigue, having played only 48 hrs before and traveling thousands of miles to an away game. It takes it's toll on players, people forget this isn't FM.

@SkySportsStatto: Chelsea are the only side in PL history with more wins (13) than defeats (12) against Man U

Let's hope we can prolong this run. Still, we have the best record at Old Trafford, no other English club gained more points there than us. At home, we want the same!

The thing is I would bet AGAINST Torres scoring every game and ill win, but if I do that with Sturridge, Ill probably end homeless because the guy is a real treat."Throwing Sturridge in the deep against ManU" is massively shit statement remembering what he did to evra last year.

If he is fit enough he should start simple as that - because he offers more than Torres. Like I've said Torres's link up play is nothing special he has 71% passing accuracy which is nothing spectacular when over 70% of his passes are sideways or backwards

I agree his pass completion is poor, but he is third in key passes per game behind Mata then Hazard.

And as for passes sideways and backwards, he does play as CF, our most advance player. I'd be shocked if his passes forward was bigger than his sideways backwards percentage. In fact I'd be screaming for him to play higher up the pitch.

Having said that Danny should get his chance, but against weaker opponents, till we can be sure he can deliver (I think he can).

Approaching this game with no fear. We have a good record against them at home and there are definitely goals in our side. No result would surprise me but I'm optimistically pegging this as a relative comfortable Chelsea win, 3-1 maybe.