Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa

Porthos

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to be harsh. But I saw him several times, he's quality on the paper but has the same problems than Luiz or Sakho, they are convinced they can revolutionize the center back position and bring it some fantasy, dribbles etc.

On the paper he's solid, quick, intercepts a lot, has a proper long distibution. But in the facts he wants to dribble at the back too often (what pisses me off the most is when he waits for the striker to press him and then he dribbles him whereas he loses some time and could have put rythm into the distribution instead) and he wants to intercept everytime. And you cannot do that, especially for a CB. CBs who intercepts shall not only have reading skills but have excellent ratios as well, thet cannot come out if they aren't sure to get the ball.

To be very fair I don't see anything more impressive than Mamadou Sakho , they have the same qualities (solid, intercepts, quick) but also the same weaknesses (concentration swings, dribbles at the back, gives the ball away under pressure or via a too ambitious distribution).

2 or 3 years ago "everyone" was prasing Sakho as the future defender of the French NT. Where are we now? Carlo doesn't want him due to his inconsistency and his bad mentality (thinks he's proven something since he's at Paris, he threatened the club to quit this summer). Mapou isn't as arrogant.

But anyway both are what pisses me off in modern football. I'm not against ball playing center backs (I'm very impressed by Spurs' Caulker). I'm pissed of about center backs who thinks they can dribble at the back and give assists everytime they attempt a long ball

• 3 months later...

According to Canal+, we have scouts looking at this guy. I've only seen him play a few times but I've been impressed every time. Nice young age of 23, and already club captain. Also has the ability to play LB and RB.

I can't see him going for more than 10m pounds; I don't see how this could go wrong. Excellent player.

I just absolutely love this guy to be honest.

At times he comes out of the back a bit too far (like Luiz) but it's much rarer that he does that compared to Luiz.

He's very solid.

Not sure about his height, but isn't he a little short to be a Premier League central defender? I know it's not ALL about height and strength in this league, but he looks around the same height as Azpi.

Not sure about his height, but isn't he a little short to be a Premier League central defender? I know it's not ALL about height and strength in this league, but he looks around the same height as Azpi.

He's 1.84 according to WIkipedia. Azpi is 1.78.

Would love him here.

• 1 month later...
Newcastle have a bloody monopoly in the French League. Wenger must be furious that the Geordies are stealing all his Frenchies.

I dont think he bothers anymore, they will all go to City anyways.