César Azpilicueta

Marvin123

9 minutes ago, Jason said:

Why would he go from our bench to Spurs' bench? Spurs, after all, already has Doherty. 

Hypothetically Mou would bench Docherty and do his usual one fullback bombing on (Reguillon) while the other tucks in. Or if Reguillion gets recalled to Real, Docherty right Azpi left. Either way it's a moot point he won't go there, Arsenal at a push but no way Spurs.

13 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Hypothetically Mou would bench Docherty and do his usual one fullback bombing on (Reguillon) while the other tucks in. Or if Reguillion gets recalled to Real, Docherty right Azpi left. Either way it's a moot point he won't go there, Arsenal at a push but no way Spurs.

Yes, I don't believe Azpi will go to Spurs or Arsenal but for argument's sake, we're talking about Azpi who is already 31 years old, not 21. He might still be able to perform at a decent level but I don't even think Mourinho would do what you said there, especially for a full back position.

17 minutes ago, Strike said:

I don't see anyone decent offering a starting role. Teams are looking for high-energy fullbacks. He might accept a rotation role here. Lampard has rotated between Azpi and James so far but I expect James to play most league games from here on barring injury

You forgot to mention 'form'. As well as James has done recently, he's still only 20 years old (will turn 21 next month) and would probably hit some kind of rough patch along the way at this point.

Another factor on the use of James and Azpi this season could also come down to who we are playing and how we will set up. Using James against Burnley and Sheffield United was the right move because we were always gonna to dominate them. But say if we go play Man City, Spurs or Liverpool and away from home, Lampard may opt for Azpi instead for example. 

• 1 month later...
18 minutes ago, Alabama said:

Let this be his last match for Chelsea....

Given his age, his usuability as WB is not endless. I wonder who the club is seeing as his/James replacement, now when Lamptey is gone and Sterling? I'm not sure about him. I hope it won't be the same as LB saga.

18 minutes ago, Vegetable said:

Given his age, his usuability as WB is not endless. I wonder who the club is seeing as his/James replacement, now when Lamptey is gone and Sterling? I'm not sure about him. I hope it won't be the same as LB saga.

We can promote a talented youth player from the academy and then look elsewhere for a solid back up for James...

On 03/01/2021 at 7:53 PM, killer1257 said:

Livramento is the answer. If not, he will leave like Lamptey did

Gesendet von meinem VOG-L29 mit Tapatalk

And I suppose that will be the end of the world, like how we just ceased to exist and everything went tits up when Lamptey left??! Behave. Hes done well but he’s hardly been Dani Alves or Cafu with his 1 G 1 A in 11 games and a handful of good performances. Livramento is a good prospect but again there is clearly a pecking order and James and Azpi undoubtedly are better and ahead of him. A loan would suit him more than anything. As it would of for Lamptey but fair play to the guy going and playing somewhere else regularly but again is he a huge miss? 

And I suppose that will be the end of the world, like how we just ceased to exist and everything went tits up when Lamptey left??! Behave. Hes done well but he’s hardly been Dani Alves or Cafu with his 1 G 1 A in 11 games and a handful of good performances. Livramento is a good prospect but again there is clearly a pecking order and James and Azpi undoubtedly are better and ahead of him. A loan would suit him more than anything. As it would of for Lamptey but fair play to the guy going and playing somewhere else regularly but again is he a huge miss? 

Btw, Lamptey is the fastest player in europe(broke davies record) and is also probably much better suited in a back three as a wingback,which none of our fullbacks are. Lamptey is one of the most versatile RBs there is. Could easily play right winger. RJ and Azpi can't do that.

24 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

Btw, Lamptey is the fastest player in europe(broke davies record) and is also probably much better suited in a back three as a wingback,which none of our fullbacks are. Lamptey is one of the most versatile RBs there is. Could easily play right winger. RJ and Azpi can't do that.

Usain Bolt was fastest man alive but still a shite footballer for the 2 games he played or whatever.

While I think Lamptey has gone on and done pretty decently with Brighton, some of James’ earlier performances in the season were much better and with more consistency, he will defos be the clubs starting RB for 10 years plus. And he can easily play as a RWB and probably RCB if necessary think he did in u23s (as can Azpi), so whats your point? He also played CM for Wigan and Frank said he could handle it later in his career. So Lamptey can maybe play right winger? Although he plays right back/wingback for Brighton? Thats like saying a horse could maybe be a unicorn? Until it happens, it isnt.

Usain Bolt was fastest man alive but still a shite footballer for the 2 games he played or whatever.
While I think Lamptey has gone on and done pretty decently with Brighton, some of James’ earlier performances in the season were much better and with more consistency, he will defos be the clubs starting RB for 10 years plus. And he can easily play as a RWB and probably RCB if necessary think he did in u23s (as can Azpi), so whats your point? He also played CM for Wigan and Frank said he could handle it later in his career. So Lamptey can maybe play right winger? Although he plays right back/wingback for Brighton? Thats like saying a horse could maybe be a unicorn? Until it happens, it isnt.

If it was me, I would rather have RJ and Lamptey than RJ and Azpi. Azpi's time is up.

Lamptey's time is just starting and because RJ is very injury prone and probably will always stay that way, having Lamptey who has completely different characteristics than RJ would have been insane and very intelligent. Lamptey is a very rare player. RJ is slow, Lamptey is fast. RJ is physically very strong, but not mobile. Lamptey is the opposite. Weak, but very mobile and can dribble past players very easily. Both are good crossers. Having both would have been a dream of a coach because you could play much more formations.

I did not say in my post that Lamptey should start ahead of RJ.

17 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

If it was me, I would rather have RJ and Lamptey than RJ and Azpi. Azpi's time is up.

Lamptey's time is just starting and because RJ is very injury prone and probably will always stay that way, having Lamptey who has completely different characteristics than RJ would have been insane and very intelligent. Lamptey is a very rare player. RJ is slow, Lamptey is fast. RJ is physically very strong, but not mobile. Lamptey is the opposite. Weak, but very mobile and can dribble past players very easily. Both are good crossers. Having both would have been a dream of a coach because you could play much more formations.

I did not say in my post that Lamptey should start ahead of RJ.

Both are young players, you dont rotate in defense that often unless you have to so Lamptey even if 2nd choices would hardly play seeing as Reece is the obvious first choice RB based on monutes this season. Thats why its better having  a more experienced back up. Someone who’s proven and reliable to a degree. Azpi has only made 6 PL starts this season. In 17 games. He did the right thing leaving and the club also did the right thing letting him go in some capacity as he has to play regularly to further his career. Azpi’s time as a starter is up but as a back up for cup games or lesser teams, he will be more than adequate.

Is James really that injury prone? Or slow? Would have to disagree. 

6 hours ago, killer1257 said:

TBF and as @OneMoSalah mentioned above, it's difficult to have 2 young players - only 1 year separates them - vying for the same position in the defence. Unless, there's injury, suspension or just wanting to rest a player, it's unlikely the manager will ever rotate much in a position where you want consistency in the backline. In an ideal world, the club would have loved to keep both James and Lamptey but Lamptey chose to leave because he knew and saw the club chose James to be our #1 right back for the future. Azpi wasn't the issue or anything since he's already getting on and he's not the future for us. This is always gonna be a problem when we have an excellent academy with all the talented players. We aren't going to be able to play/use everyone and some are bound to slip through the door. Also for his sake, hope it doesn't turn out to be an issue but Lamptey has been struggling with a hamstring problem at Brighton. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 Ron Harris 795
2 Peter Bonetti 729
3 John Terry 717
4 Frank Lampard 648
5 John Hollins 592
6 Petr Cech 494
7 Dennis Wise 445
8 Steve Clarke 421
9 Kerry Dixon 420
10 Eddie McCreadie 410
11 John Bumstead 409
12 Cesar Azpilicueta 409

Will go into top10 Chelsea players with most games in the history probably next week.

Edited by NikkiCFC