César Azpilicueta

Marvin123

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Cesar Azpilicueta – assertive, ambitious and the epitome of Chelsea

https://theathletic.com/2051321/2020/09/09/cesar-azpilicueta-chelsea-captain-conte-lampard/

CESAR-AZPILICUETA-BAKU-scaled-e1599594761631-1024x635.jpg

Last Christmas, all of Chelsea’s first-team staff at Cobham received a bottle of red wine as a gesture of appreciation for their hard work. Such festive gifts are pretty common from managers and executives at clubs; former technical director Michael Emenalo was known for going out of his way to make sure people across the different departments felt valued. But these particular bottles were from the new club captain, Cesar Azpilicueta.

Sadly, they weren’t bottles of Azpilicueta, the winemaker that has gained significant brand recognition in Spain over recent years as a result of their namesake’s exploits on the pitch for Chelsea, despite having nothing to do with him, but the act is one of many over the past year that underline just how seriously the defender takes the position he inherited permanently from Gary Cahill before the 2019-20 season.

As one Chelsea insider told The Athletic, Azpilicueta conducts himself as if he is “captain of the staff, as well as the players”, with a duty to represent and include everyone he deals with at the club. It is a leadership role that he has been steadily growing into since his arrival at Stamford Bridge in 2012 and while he, like Cahill before him, will always suffer in comparison to John Terry, it is hard not to be impressed by the extent to which he has embraced the responsibility.

In an interview with Spanish business newspaper Expansion last month, Azpilicueta explained what he understands the role of Chelsea captain to be.

“Being captain of Chelsea implies a great responsibility for everything the club entails, its fans and its expectations,” he said. “I am very proud to convey their values every day and to keep the club among the best teams in the world. Our work is exposed to the public and beyond the opinions of each of them, that pressure must be replaced by self-criticism. Recognising that you can do better is vital to moving forward.”

Frank Lampard Cesar Azpilicueta Chelsea

It was that spirit of self-criticism that prompted Azpilicueta to stand up and address his team-mates in the Stamford Bridge dressing room after Chelsea allowed a 2-0 lead to slip at home to Sheffield United in August 2019. He had been directly at fault for the goals that enabled Chris Wilder’s team to leave with a 2-2 draw and the result meant Frank Lampard’s tenure as manager had begun with one win in five matches.

He apologised for his performance, took responsibility for the result and used the September international break to clear his head with his wife and children, returning to training with a renewed determination to improve. Chelsea responded by winning eight of their next 10 matches, embarking on a seven-match winning streak in the Premier League to establish an advantage in the top-four race that, despite numerous wobbles, proved decisive.

“It made me a better person, a better captain and everything,” he said in an interview with the Daily Mail in July.

The 2019-20 season ended on a similarly disappointing note for Azpilicueta personally as he limped out of Chelsea’s 2-1 defeat to Arsenal with a hamstring injury after conceding the penalty that led to Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang’s equaliser. But between those two low points, he was one of the few stabilising components of a shaky defence and an assertive voice in a squad short on vocal leaders, encouraging his younger team-mates while also holding them to account.

Lampard had no doubt about Azpilicueta’s enduring value; no player in Chelsea’s squad played more than the Spaniard’s 4,310 minutes across all competitions in 2019-20 and whenever the time was deemed right to give the prodigiously talented Reece James an opportunity to grow into the role of starting right-back, the man he will one day replace was invariably shifted to left-back rather than the bench.

“His attitude; his application every single day is an absolute standard for any young player,” Lampard said about his captain. “He is the epitome of the club. He is the one the fans look at and say, ‘That is how we feel about Chelsea’. He is captain for that reason.”

The challenges posed by Azpilicueta’s first season as captain went far beyond the pitch. The sudden shutdown from March to June in response to the pandemic forced Premier League clubs across the country to think long and hard about how best they could serve their communities. Chelsea were more proactive than most in focusing the full range of their resources on tackling the public health crisis in England and no player at the club was more engaged in the process than Azpilicueta.

As well as keeping in regular contact with his team-mates to make sure they were coping, he put himself at the centre of Chelsea’s community outreach, making calls and recording video messages to keep up the morale of vulnerable people in isolation. More than simply making himself available, those overseeing the projects would regularly receive calls and messages from him suggesting ideas and discussing the details of arrangements. He personally funded 500 exercise packs and 300 school meals for the children of key workers in Hammersmith and Fulham.

Club divides melted away as footballers banded together to take collective action and Azpilicueta stepped up to the task of representing his team-mates. He was one of the most prominent voices on the conference calls between Premier League captains, led by Jordan Henderson of Liverpool, where the details of Project Restart were discussed and the “Players Together” initiative to help the National Health Service (NHS) was born.

Azpilicueta was the one who spoke for the Chelsea squad in talks with the board about a potential first-team pay cut in light of the football shutdown. It was an awkward situation replicated at other clubs across the country and sources have told The Athletic that he found the talks very difficult to navigate but he nevertheless accepted the responsibility as part of his leadership role. Ultimately, no pay cut or wage deferral for the playing squad was forthcoming.

Chelsea regard Azpilicueta as a man who can be relied upon to find the right words for the moment, whether it be a bad defeat or a subject weightier than football; it was no surprise in January when he stepped up to speak passionately and eloquently about what the club’s pioneering campaign against anti-semitism meant to him. That quality also makes him a better captain day-to-day at the training ground.

One legacy of Terry that Azpilicueta has continued is a genuine care and interest in the happiness and success of everyone at Cobham. His video message wishing Chelsea Women good luck on the eve of the new Women’s Super League season wasn’t an idle gesture — he often attends their games — and sources told The Athletic that he recently got in touch with an injured academy player to offer words of encouragement with his rehabilitation.

On the pitch, Azpilicueta is the last remaining link to the Terry era, the last player in Lampard’s squad who once called him a team-mate — and he takes every opportunity to try to maintain the culture they once set as players.

Jose Mourinho once claimed that a team of 11 Azpilicuetas could win the Champions League. Chelsea have had to make do with one but he’s still been enough to help lift six major trophies in eight years.

It’s the sheer variety of his contributions to winning teams that makes Azpilicueta’s status as a Premier League legend unassailable. A highly-rated young right-back when he was signed for just £7 million from Marseille in 2012, he won his first Premier League title in 2014-15 as a left-back who was so consistently solid that he ended Ashley Cole’s eight-year career at Stamford Bridge. He won his second as a centre-back in Antonio Conte’s inspired 3-4-3 system in 2016-17, covering for the limitations of Victor Moses and enabling the former Nigeria international to showcase his strengths as a wing-back.

“We had watched some videos about him before but the first days of training confirmed our assessments for the better,” Angelo Alessio, Conte’s former assistant at Chelsea, tells The Athletic. “We needed a player who knew how to defend but was also technically good for playing from the back.

“Azpilicueta was the right choice — he had great skills to cover that position. He is so capable of playing anywhere in defence because he has a lot of skills and his concentration was always 100 per cent on the pitch.”

It wasn’t until Maurizio Sarri arrived in the summer of 2018 that Azpilicueta got the chance to be Chelsea’s undisputed starting right-back. It was the moment when his journey towards the captaincy accelerated rapidly; Cahill, the man who inherited the armband from Terry, swiftly fell out of favour and he was selected by the new regime to be the captain on the pitch.

“There were other players who were entitled to the position because of the time they’d spent at Chelsea, because of their personalities, because of the players they were,” Sarri’s former assistant Gianfranco Zola tells The Athletic. “Cahill was very important for the group but we also had David Luiz, who was very reliable, another leader. He was one of the ones but in the end we went for Cesar because he deserved it.

“He’s a very, very reliable person, which is very important in our job. He’s honest, a good person to have around you when you’re trying to do something important and know there will be difficult moments.”

Throughout a rollercoaster season under Sarri, punctuated by several damaging defeats and flashes of open hostility from supporters, Azpilicueta proved himself a stabilising influence — while being prepared to speak his mind.

“His attitude in troubled moments was to put his head down and work harder,” Zola says. “He’s serious about his work. When they had chats between the players, he would be one of the players talking. When things aren’t going well, you need a wake-up call and to have people in the changing room who can do that is very important.

“He was someone who always did his work with thought, without leaving anything behind. But, at the same time, when it was necessary to say a few things, he said them. He wasn’t afraid to speak up and that’s very important. I would call him a balanced leader.”

In the aftermath of Chelsea’s win over Arsenal in the Europa League final in Baku, Cahill had no problem letting Azpilicueta keep the armband and handle the trophy lift. He also took a leading role in the celebrations afterwards.

Cesar Azpilicueta Chelsea Europa League win

“A good memory I have of Cesar is when we won the Europa League final against Arsenal, everyone was celebrating in the disco in the hotel in Baku,” Zola says. “We were all dancing and Cesar was going crazy along with David Luiz. It tells you how much it meant for them, even after they won so much.”

Azpilicueta has been Chelsea’s most-used outfield player in every one of the last five seasons across all competitions, and from August 2015 to May 2019, he missed just two of 152 Premier League matches, starting 149 of them. The physical load he has shouldered has been nothing short of staggering and his remarkable durability was a big reason why it was so jarring to see him limp off against Arsenal in the FA Cup final.

For years, his daily routine has been rigorous: he arrives at Cobham in time to have breakfast at the training ground and then hit the gym before training, where he sets an exacting standard for the intensity of the session. Afterwards, he sticks around to do extensive stretches and goes for a swim in the pool. In his own time, he is always eager to learn about new ways to optimise his body’s ability to rest and recover. But he also knows he is not a machine.

This season, with Ben Chilwell expected to establish himself as Chelsea’s long-term solution at left-back and James taking the next steps in his development on the right, Azpilicueta is likely to play fewer minutes. But you can also expect him to put up a serious fight before he gives up his status as a regular starter, just as Branislav Ivanovic and Cole did before him. Having just turned 31, he has every reason to believe his body has more to give at the top level.

Football remains his primary focus but he is setting the wheels in motion for the next chapter of his life.

Chelsea team-mates and staff have grown accustomed to seeing him tapping away at his laptop on the journey back from away trips as he works towards an online degree in business management at the Berlin School of Business and Innovation. He is part-owner of a FIFA esports team called the Falcons with two prominent Spanish YouTubers, Jose Antonio Cacho and Jesus Rincon, and he has a vision for the project beyond mere financial investment.

He wants the Falcons to have a team ethic similar to a real football team and to use the platform to help people; recently, he hosted an online camp with the parents of gamers aimed at increasing awareness of the potential dangers of playing online, such as bullying and communicating with people posing under fake identities — a concern that has grown in his mind since having three children of his own.

Despite the extent to which he has embraced leadership at Chelsea, those who know Azpilicueta don’t expect him to go into management when he finally retires. Given how settled he and his family are in their home near Cobham, however, it wouldn’t be a surprise to see him choose to live in the UK rather than return to his native Pamplona, when he hangs up his boots, or for another role to be found for him at the club he has served so well for so long.

In the meantime, players and staff at Cobham can continue to enjoy the benefits of having a captain worthy of Chelsea’s best traditions and grandest aspirations.

• 2 weeks later...

Frank Lampard confirms Cesar Azpilicueta will captain Chelsea this season

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/09/18/frank-lampard-confirms-cesar-azpilicueta-will-captain-chelsea/

Frank Lampard has confirmed Cesar Azpiliceuta will retain the Chelsea captaincy this season, even though he is no longer guaranteed a starting place.

Azpilicueta made a late appearance as a substitute in the victory over Brighton, in which his replacement at right-back, Reece James, scored and assisted.

James is likely to keep his place on the right for Sunday’s visit of Liverpool, with Azpilicueta’s best hope of playing potentially coming on the left side.

But that path will also be blocked off once new £50 million signing Ben Chilwell is fit and Azpiliceuta faces the prospect of being in the unfamiliar position of spending far more time on the bench.

Azpilicueta has missed only four Premier League games over the past five seasons, but Lampard has insisted that sitting out more games will not change his role as captain.

“Yes, absolutely Azpi is club captain this season,” said Lampard. “He’s done a great job of it and since I’ve been in the role, he’s been a huge help to me, how he's handled himself on and off the pitch, how much he feels for the club, how much he communicates within the squad. 

“We can all see the quality of Reece James and the competition I have in that right-back position, but Azpi’s professionalism means he’s going to be as important for us this year as he always is. He is officially club captain.”

Lampard admitted Azpilicueta may not be pleased with his new status in the squad, but trusts the 31-year-old to keep leading by example.

“I can’t ask players who are as competitive as Azpi to be content with missing one game,” said Lampard. “Every player here should be keen to play every game. I know Azpi is like that. I know him very well from playing with him. 

“I don’t expect saints who say, ‘OK, I’m not playing this game, everything’s fine and rosy’. No, players need to want to play but, when you have someone like Azpi with the qualities he has as captain, I know he gives everything and I know that whether he plays or there might be times when he doesn’t, he will have the same positive impact on the group off the pitch. That’s all I can ask for, it’s a pleasure to have him here for that.”

18 minutes ago, Jason said:

Frank Lampard confirms Cesar Azpilicueta will captain Chelsea this season 

I'm curious who is captain when Azpi and Jorgi are not on the pitch? And this is probably going to happen very often. 

Silva? 

10 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

I'm curious who is captain when Azpi and Jorgi are not on the pitch? And this is probably going to happen very often. 

Silva? 

Isn't Kante like 3'rd choice cp? Although he doesn't strike me as a vocal leader.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Azpilicueta explains why he wants Hazard back at Chelsea

https://www.thechelseachronicle.com/club-news/azpilicueta-explains-why-he-wants-hazard-back-at-chelsea/

Chelsea captain Cesar Azpilicueta has named Eden Hazard as the former teammate he has missed the most as he spoke about their close relationship during a question-and-answer session on YouTube.

It has been more than a year since the 29-year-old left Stamford Bridge to pursue his dream at Real Madrid.

His departure practically marked a new era for the Blues, with young players such as Christian Pulisic, Mason Mount, Kai Havertz and Timo Werner coming in to succeed him and the likes of Willian and Pedro Rodriguez.

Only a few players from the Premier League title-winning Chelsea side remain in the squad, including Azpilicueta who has become a senior member of the dressing room.

Interestingly, when asked to pick one former Chelsea player he’s missed the most, Azpilicueta chose his best mate Hazard.

He told Chelsea reporter Lee Parker: “I’ve been really lucky to play with top professionals and top men who have won everything.

“When I first sat down in the [Chelsea] dressing room, I looked around and thought ‘wow’. I had to make the most of it and I learned a lot.

“Obviously one [former Chelsea player] I had a [closer] relationship with was Eden Hazard because we were more or less the same age.

“We also lived really close to each other, we had our kids in the same school and the same class.

“It [was] a different kind of relationship but, in terms of football, I couldn’t complain [about Hazard].”

Despite his stardom, the four-time Chelsea player of the year is just a normal man outside the pitch, Azpilicueta added.

“He was very quiet, a family man.

“He would ring your doorbell to play and ride a bike.”

It sounds like the Eden Hazard we know – and miss.

• 4 weeks later...

So with RJ's explosion this season that will hopefully (touch wood) carry on the way it's been going, what does the future hold for Azpi? 

Will he accept a more reduced role going forward or will he eventually want to leave to play more regular football?

I reckon the former could be the best move for him in terms of maxing out his career (and ultimately his earnings), he's pretty much played non stop ever since he's got here and there's been signs over the last couple of years that it was starting to show, so a more reduced role could now be the best thing for him as he enters the twilight phase of his career.

Whether he see's it that way however is another matter.

21 minutes ago, Tomo said:

So with RJ's explosion this season that will (touch wood) carry on the way it's been going, what does the future hold for Azpi? 

Will he accept a more reduced role going forward or will he eventually want to leave to play more regular football?

I reckon the former could be the best move for him in terms of maxing out his career (and ultimately his earnings), he's pretty much played non stop ever since he's got here and there's been signs over the last couple of years that it was starting to show, so a more reduced role could now be the best thing for him as he enters the twilight phase of his career.

If he is willing to play second fiddle then keep him, he clearly loves Chels and has been a superb player for us.

3 minutes ago, Atomiswave said:

If he is willing to play second fiddle then keep him, he clearly loves Chels and has been a superb player for us.

That's definitely my choice (unless he badly bottoms out) the only question mark would be whether he would accept that.

49 minutes ago, Tomo said:

So with RJ's explosion this season that will (touch wood) carry on the way it's been going, what does the future hold for Azpi? 

WHY DID YOU HAVE TO ASK THIS!? 😭

26 minutes ago, Tomo said:

That's definitely my choice (unless he badly bottoms out) the only question mark would be whether he would accept that.

Spot on, as long as he gets to play here and there and wear the badge with pride im all for it. Some say he will end up at Arsenal in a few years, I dont see it but hey you never know. In any case RJ looks to have that position down, he has been quality all season bare a few mistakes in the beginning.

27 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

I still think he has some good years left, so he should probably leave and get the last good years out of his career. I can see Conte or Mou going for him.

Gesendet von meinem VOG-L29 mit Tapatalk

Why would he go from our bench to Spurs' bench? Spurs, after all, already has Doherty. 

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

I don't see anyone decent offering a starting role. Teams are looking for high-energy fullbacks. He might accept a rotation role here. Lampard has rotated between Azpi and James so far but I expect James to play most league games from here on barring injury