Chelsea 2-0 Newcastle

Kieran.

MOTM?  

234 members have voted

1. 1. MOTM?

Meireles and Mikel did good. Great save by Cech at the end, that was vital - another clean sheet. Electric Torres, I've never seen him dribble so good. In the last games, he makes a few dribbles against 3 or more defenders. Plus the fancy skills, lovely stuff from our number 9, who is now the top scorer of the team in the RDM era. Hazard continues with being awesome. To summarize great display by the entire team and the coaching staff.

9 points out of 9, achieved with sexy football. Good times to be a Chelsea supporter, and it will only get better in the next seasons. Now let's go for our first trophy!

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First half was absolutely terrific. I wasn't sure about the line up when I saw it but I'm glad to say I was wrong, Meireles played very well in midfield and Bertrand added a really nice balance on the left flank. The movement and interchange between Hazard and Mata caused Newcastle no end of problems and Torres looked sharp and contributed in a massive way to both goals.

Second half we sat back and tried to play on the counter. Liiz and Cahill were both excellent as was Mikel.

But the star of the show, again, was Eden Hazard. He is a genuine star player, somebody who can change a match in an instant. His whole game is so complete, so mature. This was his toughest test he passed it with flying colours.

The midfield of Mikel and Meireles seemed to flow better than the midfield of Mikel and Lampard. It didn't seem as bogged down or on its heels like it sometimes does with Mikel and Lampard. Not sure if Meireles is the answer or Lampard is the problem but it looked better today than it did the previous two games.

Strange game really, the performance wasn't breathtaking but efficient and when the 2nd goal went in, that was it. I'd be pretty p'd off if i was a Geordie today because they didn't really show any real effort to get back into the game, they just wanted to go home. The rain did ruin the game a bit but glad Hazard is still running the show. 6 assists and 1 goal in 3 games.... that's mad and great for Torres too!

Job done, Super cup on Friday and a nice 3 week premiership break. Nice to have a break with a 3/3 record. Great start.

You always exaggerating when Mikel puts a descent preformance... and then when he's rubbish you cant find real explanations. Meireles and him were great today. he wasnt amazing or looked like Yaya Toure. Thats ridiculous. Im happy with his game today, and think RDM should try this pair more often if he isnt going to get a new DM. They complete each other pretty good.

Only saw the second half ... Not very exciting, as Eden Hazard seemed tired and not too keen on keeping his usually amazing work rate. I guess his first half was pretty decent though ?

I've got one question btw : why the fuck Luiz and Meireles shooting the free kicks ??? Hazard would've done so much better (especially Luiz's one, his favorite position to score a free kick)

The midfield of Mikel and Meireles seemed to flow better than the midfield of Mikel and Lampard. It didn't seem as bogged down or on its heels like it sometimes does with Mikel and Lampard. Not sure if Meireles is the answer or Lampard is the problem but it looked better today than it did the previous two games.

Think the main difference is Mereiles seems to me a more disciplined and tactical player. He maintains the midfield shape by not going forward too often and was always there in support of Mikel. True, his passing at times can be woeful, but he was always available for the short option in the middle and should good movement off the ball.

One comment, we should let Hazard take all our dead balls for now. His corners were decent and he surely deserves a shot at free kicks outside the box. The less said about Luiz's and Mereiles' efforts the better.

I've been saying this for a while now, Mikel gets left in the dust by Lampard, you can see what having a reserved midfield that doesn't fly up the field every chance he gets.

I hate to use facts to counter this, but on average, the positioning of Lampard in the first two games and the positioning of Meireles today was exactly the same. (Just on the attacking side of midfield) Meireles made a number of runs today, people just are obsessed with Lampard making runs so they notice them more.

Also, Mikel played some of his best football next to Lampard last season so saying that Lampard impedes Mikel is just silly. (But it's typical of many posters to take one match and twist the facts to justify what you already believe).

imo Meireles is more like the answer than Lampard is the problem. The problem is that Mikel isnt mobile enough, and when he is responsible, he doesnt make the midfielders opponent get frightened by him and his presence. Meireles is very mobile, doesnt fear to slide and go for strong tackles. Like i said, if Mikel is our CDM, Meireles should play more next to him.

Torres actually had a good game( luckily just in time for some guy i had a bet with that he would be shit again)

we made Newcastle look like a mid table team in the first half, and just spared our energies in the second

very pleasing stuff...

Mikel was a fucking beast today. Now I realize how much he suffers by having lampard next to him. Meireles was excellent, playing nice passes, and always mobile to support the defense as well as the attack. Great performance by both.

Overall delighted. 9 points out of 9!

Hate to say this but the team is looking much better without Lampard in it. Don't know if this was just a one time thing, but based on this match a midfield duo of Meireles - Mikel is definitely worth trying again, both were great today.

Hazard once again Man of the Match, although Torres was excellent too.