Oscar

themightyblue

Dave is the best 1v1 defender here but in general as a fullback, he is not rated as a top player in his position...

Which shows a double standard in the average football fan.

If wingers were judged on both attacking and defensive quality off their game most if not all the names that were considered the best these days wouldn't be there, however at fullback you can be a complete rock defensively but not the best going forward and your name doesn't become a consideration when talking about the best.

Infact if anything fullback are more judged on what they offer going forward and if they can run in a straight line, Kyle Walker was talked up as some potential great a few years back, Bosingwa was regarded at one time as one of the best full backs in Europe, neither can defend for shit, it's criminal that Azpi doesn't get the credit he richly deserves, he isn't as bad going forward as made out any way.

When I saw so many unread posts in this thread I thought that had been some development about Oscar.

Then I come here to read posts and more posts about Azpilicueta - who is only recognized by Chelsea fans, that much is true. Few people I know have any sort of praise for Dave, unsung hero and all that. Not among the best FB in the world at all for me, but I'm Brazilian, a FB that can only defend or mainly only defend does nothing to me.

When I saw so many unread posts in this thread I thought that had been some development about Oscar.

Then I come here to read posts and more posts about Azpilicueta - who is only recognized by Chelsea fans, that much is true. Few people I know have any sort of praise for Dave, unsung hero and all that. Not among the best FB in the world at all for me, but I'm Brazilian, a FB that can only defend or mainly only defend does nothing to me.

Brazil= home of the attacking fullbacks...

Brazil's worse attacking fullback is probably danilo and he is still above average attacking wise.

Who is above him? I would put Aguero (when he's actually fit), Suarez, lewandowski, and maybe ibra (but not sure about this one)

Tevez, Cavani on form, etc. There are several more that could probably be considered better IMO.

Way too pessimistic on our players some of you. I do agree on Dave though, i don't think he is a top player in his position.

For Costa; At this moment i think Suarez, Aguaro, Ibra, and Benzema are better then him. After that he makes as good of a case as anyone.

Suarez, Aguero, Ibrahimovic, Lewandowski & Benzema are all comfortably better than Costa. He's in tier 2 along with Cavani, Tevez.

We posted the same time. Pretty much but i do disagree with Lewa, i think he is in the same tier as Costa.

Edited by Clockwork

Imo, the only truly World Class players we have are Courtois, Hazard & Matic. Hazard is amongst the very best wingers in the World(Neymar, Robben, Messi, Hazard & Ronaldo), Matic is amongst the best in his position (Kroos, Matic, Alonso, Mascherano, Busquets) and Thibo is the consensus 2nd best GK in the World right now.

Costa, Cesc & Filipe Luis are the only other ones on the cusp of that elite group. Azpilicueta, Oscar & RLC have the potential to be WC sometime in the future.

Imo, the only truly World Class players we have are Courtois, Hazard & Matic. Hazard is amongst the very best wingers in the World(Neymar, Robben, Messi, Hazard & Ronaldo), Matic is amongst the best in his position (Kroos, Matic, Alonso, Mascherano, Busquets) and Thibo is the consensus 2nd best GK in the World right now.

Costa, Cesc & Filipe Luis are the only other ones on the cusp of that elite group. Azpilicueta, Oscar & RLC have the potential to be WC sometime in the future.

Terry.

Suarez, Aguero, Ibrahimovic, Lewandowski & Benzema are all comfortably better than Costa. He's in tier 2 along with Cavani, Tevez.

Suarez, Aguero, Lewa when on form.

I would say he is on par with rest. Tevez is old, Ibra is a fucking myth. Scores for fun, but when he should do the work in CL, he is invisible. I wouldnt take Cavani either. When he was at napoli yes, but he is seriously inconsistent.

Suarez, Aguero, Lewa when on form.

I would say he is on par with rest. Tevez is old, Ibra is a fucking myth. Scores for fun, but when he should do the work in CL, he is invisible. I wouldnt take Cavani either. When he was at napoli yes, but he is seriously inconsistent.

Tevez is 31. That's not old. People kill me. Drogba was brilliant at 32, winning the double and all.

Tevez is better than Costa imo, but it's not a massive difference.

I wouldn't put costa in the top brackets for strikers.

I would, he may not be the most pleasing technically but his off the ball movement, intelligent runs and play and most importantly his finishing causes absolute havoc for defences. Take it from someone who has played defence before I'd much rather face a skilful player with average movement over a player with great movement.

Atletico aren't creating anywhere near the amount of chances since Costa left, neither do we when he is not playing, he's just as big a reason as Cesc as to why we don't struggle vs lesser sides any more, if not more.

Putting everything into perspective (age, how good they are, how they suit our team) l would only swap him for 2 strikers and that's Aguero and Suarez (pure strikers before anyone drops Messj and Ronaldo in there).

Tevez is 31. That's not old. People kill me. Drogba was brilliant at 32, winning the double and all.

Tevez is better than Costa imo, but it's not a massive difference.

I exaggerated indeed. Tevez aint old old, but a move back to argentina means he is done with top football anyway you look at.

I exaggerated indeed. Tevez aint old old, but a move back to argentina means he is done with top football anyway you look at.

Fair enough, but it's not because he's not good enough. His rep took quite a hit after his antics at City, but you have to commend him for his great consistency. He's been a top performer since his Utd days and never declined.

Now I'll just type Oscar's name to make this post more relevant. I'll throw in another Oscar for free.

I would not say Ibra, Lewa, Benzema, Tevez or Cavani are better than Costa. I think they are all quality strikers but do I think they are better than Costa? No. I don't see why people on here are saying Lewa is in a different league to Costa. He is not. His goalscoring record in the games he has played in the BL compared to Costa in the PL is inferior IIRC. Costa is playing in a much tougher league too. 34 goal for Atletico IIRC? Fantastic. Costa 20 league goals in 24 starts in his first season here. Fantastic. Would take Costa over the majority of strikers mentioned here. Excluding Ronaldo, Messi, the only strikers that you could say are better are Aguero and Suarez imo. That is it.