Luke Shaw

Joker10

I never want to hear "bought the league" from a United supporter again.

They're now right their with the "money" clubs when it comes to transfer fees.

£27m for Fellaini, £37m for Mata, and now £27m for Shaw. And if they're willing to spend this much on a LB I can only imagine how much they'll throw at the actual world class players they're after.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never want to hear "bought the league" from a United supporter again.

They're now right their with the "money" clubs when it comes to transfer fees.

£27m for Fellaini, £37m for Mata, and now £27m for Shaw. And if they're willing to spend this much on a LB I can only imagine how much they'll throw at the actual world class players they're after.

£55m for Reus, £45m for Kroos, £70m for Cavani.

£55m for Reus, £45m for Kroos, £70m for Cavani.

Wouldn't surprise me.

This is why FFP is an absolute joke. Just because United are the biggest global brand they can go out and spend £200m in one window and it's perfectly legal but if ourselves or City do it's illegal and we'd be heavily sanctioned. Bullshit.

FFP doesn't even matter to them because 1) they make a lot of money 2) they aren't going to play in Europe anyway

Was just putting it up to show that if we did equal the offer United put forward we would be able to afford him as well.

FFP doesn't even matter to them because 1) they make a lot of money 2) they aren't going to play in Europe anyway

My understanding (may be wrong so please correct me if so) is that FFP runs over a three year rolling period and therefore if united are back in Europe in the next 3 years, this year they're out of it will still count towards it. Liverpool are the same who have made 2 large losses in last 2 seasons.

Everybody likes Shaw. Mainly because of the fact that he is young and English. But 30 milion is a fee we just can't afford to give for a left-back. Especially when you have Wolfsburg and Ricardo Rodriguez who we have done bussiness with before, and won't cost that much. And if that fails Sevilla can't afford to keep their top players if a big club comes knocking. So Moreno would come on a fairly cheap note. Especially considering their best players have left for 20 million maximum. That and the fact that Marin is still there and could stay.

I wonder how much 'Chelsea tax' we'd have to pay for him.

Haha yeah the Portugese powerhouses always have known how to squeeze every penny out of Chelsea. But the hype surrounding him is quite subdued and he's not going to the World Cup either, he shouldn't be too overpriced.

But for that price you would expect immediate success.

I guess that depends on how you want to look at it and set your expectation really. There is such thing called a 'long term investment' and if we do get Shaw, then he falls into that category. If Shaw is like already 25-26 y/o and entering his peak, then yeah. We should be expecting immediate success but to expect so when he's only 19 is a bit nonsensical. It's not always that simple/straightforward.

I like how people say we could afford him....surely that depends on what other transfers we're looking to make not just this summer, but January, next summer and beyond as well as what the health of our balance sheet is like this year. Maybe they're acquainted with them intimately, but I doubt it.

Ultimately the player has a lot of power in these negotiations. £27 million may well be the United bid but it means fuck all if the player says he has his heart set on one club. The guy says he's a big Chelsea fan and we're certainly interested (at a certain price) so I'm going to wait and see how this one plays out.

I guess that depends on how you want to look at it and set your expectation really. There is such thing called a 'long term investment' and if we do get Shaw, then he falls into that category. If Shaw is like already 25-26 y/o and entering his peak, then yeah. We should be expecting immediate success but to expect so when he's only 19 is a bit nonsensical. It's not always that simple/straightforward.

Let's not pretend that spending £30 million on an 18 year old is a normal bit of long-term spending. When you spend that much, you're looking for an immediate contribution as well as a long-term prospect. The fact that he's a left-back as well makes it a tricky one.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You