Eden Hazard

the wes

Well i can't say he hasn't proved me wrong before because he has, so i will give him time. I've just heard a lot of people on here go on about his finishing and it's not something I've seen much of, i didn't really see him in front of goal that much for Lillie either to judge.

It's not really a style mate, he should be burying it, i know what you mean by not being one dimensional, for example some strikers will power it in, the next chance they get they will tap it into the bottom corner. But Hazards finish was bad, it was a little tap but that wasn't the problem, the accuracy was right at the keeper, Cesar didn't have to do anything, no keeper in the world would let that in. And we had this guy in our 6 a side leisure league who let in 10 goals, 6 of them his errors.

On this one, I will agree with you. His finishing is not his strongest point but I think he will improve.

He will be in more situations like that here than at Lille.

From what i've seen, he seems to enjoy himself a lot more here with the faster pace of the game than at Lille where they would play many passes backwards or between the defenders and at times would get bored by it, or making runs in the intervals and not receiving passes because the other players would not read the play quickly. At Lille he would have to overdo things many times for things to happen on the pitch.

I did not see the game, but from what I can see in this video... Eden played a good game (again!) for us!

I will not even start about that sick rabona (while running + ball in movement...), how can you pull that of without tripping yourself like Carle :)!

Things that made me happy:

• amazing long passes:
    • On Ramires (min 1.05 in the video above)
    • Cross on Ivanovic, what could easily have been his 3rd assist on Iva :)

[*]Eden attracks a lot of defenders on him with his skills + is also able to keep a clear overview AND deliver a great long pass to look for space on the other side of the pitch: I like a lot!

• should always have been a penalty (Wright Philips)! If eden will win us a PK in almost every single game... easy wins can be the result!!

• Most importantly:
    • His willingness and motivation to work in defense. Unfortunately not all his defensive actions are in this video but I'm really happy about the amount of effort Eden puts in defending in a Chelsea shirt! Especially the counter attack he sets up... dribbling into 2-3 QPR defenders and then perfectly passing the ball in Torres' run (how on earth did he feel Torres in his back... because he didn't looked back a single second) + also he runs through ready for Torres to give him back the ball for a 1 on 1 with the GK => IMO pure class!! (check back this moment in the video above at 3.18mins)
    • But the best defensive action comes at min 5 in the next video where he makes up for a bad pass by Lampard and sets up the chance for Moses!

• His shooting:
    • until this far his weakest point in a Chelsea shirt. However I do not worry... he made a lot of crazy goals with really good shots at Lille. I do not know what the reason is at the moment. Maybe he needs a first fieldgoal to become more confident.... Anyhow... don't worry on this one... as soon as he starts hitting 25 yarders... everything will be forgotten :)
    • Honestly I also don't blame him on the first shot: weaker foot, rather good shot to the bottom left corner... => good save by Cesar
    • Second shot was something else. Really didn't hit that well. A rather hard pass by Moses but this shouldn't be an excuse. In his defense... if this happens in the 5th minute of the game, it's a miss ... end of story. Of course with the tension running high and this shot being a potential gamewinner => everyone is dissapointed.

4 games and 4 times MOTM. Eden clearly feels good at Chelsea. I've been following him for a long time now.. and it seems he really has found a new inspiration/ambition to work really hard for (something he was sometimes lacking at Lille the last year or in the national squad). He feels the challenge to prove himself in the EPL and this does him well!

Works really hard, plays good football, thinks about his teammates first before going for own succes + defenses really well!!

Best of all... I just KNOW he will even want to play better at the Bridge in front of the home crowd! So expect yourselves on many more great things to happen in the garden of eden!!

:blue scalf:

To put it simply, what that QPR game showed and what we will continue to see if we play Ramires and Bertrand on the wing is that Hazard is too fluid to be tied down. He is best when drifting in from/out to the left.

With Bertrand and Rambo on the wings it tied Hazard down into the Attacking Midfield position, which although he likes playing, he needs more creative freedom to roam. Rambo and Bertrand obviously won't switch wings, drift around and interchange as they are rigid and functional wingers.

Hazard looks more threatning when he is roaming around as his movement is hard to track. He can also be great on the wings. Anyone seeing the trend here? When Hazard is asked to play Solely as an AM or winger he isn't quite as good. When he is allowed the freedom to do both he can be jaw droppingly brilliant. Much like how Oscar drifts around central midfield, Eden drifts around the final third in order to get amongst the action or find different ways and angles of attack. Which defenders to get at. (Do not tie him down, but rather, release the Kraken!)

This is why to get the best out of Hazard, 2, even 3 attacking players need to be playing together. It would be desirable if we had a threatning Striker with great movement. I don't think Torres quite brings that so if we got a Cavani/Falcao it would help our attacking players like Hazard quite a lot.

At the beginning of the season we were talking about a Hazard and Mata partnership and I think we are realising how important they will both be to one another in order to play at their best. With Oscar (especially), Marin or Moses it would help even more. The fluid movement will make it almost impossible to mark them and Hazard out of the game.

On this one, I will agree with you. His finishing is not his strongest point but I think he will improve.

He will be in more situations like that here than at Lille.

From what i've seen, he seems to enjoy himself a lot more here with the faster pace of the game than at Lille where they would play many passes backwards or between the defenders and at times would get bored by it, or making runs in the intervals and not receiving passes because the other players would not read the play quickly. At Lille he would have to overdo things many times for things to happen on the pitch.

Well sometimes we can forget just how young Hazard is, he's still 21, it's amazing how young he is and how good he is for his age. And then we are going on about Sturridge's potential and he's 2 years older, still love Sturridge though and i think they will be two awesome players.

You might think this is odd, but i thought this was Hazard best game for us so far. He was class every time he got the ball, should've had a penalty but never mind. Besides his finishing he was awesome, anyone see when he took on about two players then played Torres through?, he had THREE PLAYERS ON HIM, THREE!. So Torres manage to run into space, but unlucky for him i think the other centre back, not Anton, covered Torres. Great play from Hazard though. And he was doing this all game.

At the beginning of the season we were talking about a Hazard and Mata partnership and I think we are realising how important they will both be to one another in order to play at their best. With Oscar (especially), Marin or Moses it would help even more. The fluid movement will make it almost impossible to mark them and Hazard out of the game.

True. Barcelona will be pussy smoke for us. :D

You might think this is odd, but i thought this was Hazard best game for us so far. He was class every time he got the ball, should've had a penalty but never mind. Besides his finishing he was awesome, anyone see when he took on about two players then played Torres through?, he had THREE PLAYERS ON HIM, THREE!. So Torres manage to run into space, but unlucky for him i think the other centre back, not Anton, covered Torres. Great play from Hazard though. And he was doing this all game.

I've seen only the first 70 minutes of the game but I agree with you.

I thought he was moving a lot more and defensively especially in the first half, I thought he was closing well the passing lane to their defensive midfielder.

I think that he's just more fit than in the beginning of the season, he lost some fat and can move longer.

When you look at the end of the youtube video when he is shirtless, he seemed to have lost some pounds.

In the first games, he had good moments but alo quite sloppy passes and he was standing still a lot more often.

I've seen only the first 70 minutes of the game but I agree with you.

I thought he was moving a lot more and defensively especially in the first half, I thought he was closing well the passing lane to their defensive midfielder.

I think that he's just more fit than in the beginning of the season, he lost some fat and can move longer.

When you look at the end of the youtube video when he is shirtless, he seemed to have lost some pounds.

In the first games, he had good moments but alo quite sloppy passes and he was standing still a lot more often.

The one thing what really impressed me with Hazard since first coming here, is his link up play. Seems to have a great eye for a one two pass what are so quick and cause defenders problems. If we build chemistry over a few seasons with the likes of Mata, Oscar and Hazard, the types of fast, quick small passes they could do would just be so threatening for other teams.

Like Barcelona with Xavi, Messi and Iniesta, that triangle is one of the best triangles in world football, they all have that little link up play and one twos what can end up beating about 4 players once every 2 minutes. Really hard to play against.

But what impressed me with Hazard was his creativity in last game, i think he could be better in that area, he's a good passer in technical terms. But doesn't seem to have the eye to pick one out, where last game he did. So it's nice to see, It's good to add more to your game and be much more dangerous.

Well, I'm glad that you compare him to the likes of Iniesta.

As one of my first post on this topic was to say that I hated the press comparing him to Messi.

As for me he was more like an Iniesta, for his link-up play and the ability to create space for others as he often moves players with him.

And I don't blame you if you could get a wrong impression watching the last game of Lille as they were not playing very good, Hazard scored quite a lot in the last games for them but he was playing behind the striker and they were using him for his pace.

Their team was tired, were sitting deep and would only count on the pace of Hazard in counter-attacks. He was not as involved in their play.

They were playing a lot better in the beginning of the season and without silly errors and more firepower upfront, they could have been easily in first place in the first half of the season.

He was pulling the strings in the midfield then.

Lille's president Michel Seydoux said this today on L'Equipe...

http://www.sport360.com/article/chelseas-eden-hazard-destined-barcelona-says-lille-chief

"Hazard will end his career at Barcelona," he said. "At one point he, and nobody else, will succeed Lionel Messi. Hazard is simply a phenomenon."

To put it simply, what that QPR game showed and what we will continue to see if we play Ramires and Bertrand on the wing is that Hazard is too fluid to be tied down. He is best when drifting in from/out to the left.

With Bertrand and Rambo on the wings it tied Hazard down into the Attacking Midfield position, which although he likes playing, he needs more creative freedom to roam. Rambo and Bertrand obviously won't switch wings, drift around and interchange as they are rigid and functional wingers.

Hazard looks more threatning when he is roaming around as his movement is hard to track. He can also be great on the wings. Anyone seeing the trend here? When Hazard is asked to play Solely as an AM or winger he isn't quite as good. When he is allowed the freedom to do both he can be jaw droppingly brilliant. Much like how Oscar drifts around central midfield, Eden drifts around the final third in order to get amongst the action or find different ways and angles of attack. Which defenders to get at. (Do not tie him down, but rather, release the Kraken!)

This is why to get the best out of Hazard, 2, even 3 attacking players need to be playing together. It would be desirable if we had a threatning Striker with great movement. I don't think Torres quite brings that so if we got a Cavani/Falcao it would help our attacking players like Hazard quite a lot.

Well. I actually love everything about this comment, so much. Hole in one :-)

I wish people that he actually listens to (I mean his ex-coaches and peers) would stop praising him so much. Too often have I seen this, too often have I seen this kind of stuff backfire eventually. He needs to keep his feet down, and these kind of comments don't help.

I wish people that he actually listens to (I mean his ex-coaches and peers) would stop praising him so much. Too often have I seen this, too often have I seen this kind of stuff backfire eventually. He needs to keep his feet down, and these kind of comments don't help.

Understand what you mean but he's been getting praise like that since he was 16y old and performed well in the u17 tournament for Belgium. He's already used to it so i wouldn't worry to much about it. He's very level head and he handles pressure very well. Thats actually 1 of the reasons why i have no doubts he will succeed

Guess this is what @manpe, wanted to see.

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/912469-chelsea-boss-roberto-di-matteo-plays-down-media-hype-over-eden-hazard

Hazard, a £32 million signing from Lille during the summer, has already established himself as one of the most exciting attacking players in the country, scoring once and picking up six assists in his four matches so far.

The 21-year-old is now preparing to show his best on the European stage, as Chelsea kick off the defence of their Champions League title with a group stage opener against Italian champions Juventus this evening.

However, despite admitting that the impressive Belgian will play a key part in his side, Chelsea boss Di Matteo is angry at the media for praising the player and increasing the expectations on his young shoulders:

'The media play a major role in the glorification of Hazard,' Di Matteo told reporters.

'Let the boy just play and do not write about him. He needs to concentrate on his game.'

The comments will do little to quell the hype over Hazard, especially after Di Matteo himself suggested the Belgian winger could replicate the success of Blues great Gianfranco Zola last month:

'Gianfranco was a wonderful talent, an artist I would say. Eden can become an artist as well,' Di Matteo told Sky.

Hyped or not, Hazard will start on the left of an attack minded midfield for Chelsea this evening, with Juan Mata shaking off a knock to occupy the opposite flank.

Hazard on the left, Mata on the opposite flank... sounds like a 4-3-3 lineup.

Guess then could have something like ramires - mikel - lampard on the midfield.

That looks good to me^^

I was confused by that. It was not RDM who said that Hazard would start on the left wing though, rather the writer from Metro. Given that he said that Mata was injured rather than being rested, it's possible he just doesn't know what he's talking about. I'd be fine with that 4-3-3 as well but my worry is that Hazard and Mata both like to drift to the middle which would leave our wings very vulnerable.