Villa Park To Host Community Shield

Kez

Is our bad record at Villa Park associated with Aston Villa or the stadium itself? Afaik Aston Villa are our bogey team, not the stadium. Or am I wrong, have we played somebody else there and lost? It's kind of superstitious to think that a venue plays any kind of role, considering we won't be playing its home team anyway.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is our bad record at Villa Park associated with Aston Villa or the stadium itself? Afaik Aston Villa are our bogey team, not the stadium. Or am I wrong, have we played somebody else there and lost? It's kind of superstitious to think that a venue plays any kind of role, considering we won't be playing its home team anyway.

In our last two semi finals there as a neutral ground we lost to Man Utd (1996) and beat Fulham (2002).

Its a great stadium and it used to host FA Cup semi finals - the charity shield is a nothing game really.

Been there myself, don't fancy it much at all. I suppose with Wembley and Millennium not being available it makes sense, but none the less not a very good stadium in my eyes.

There's a fine idea, play the match overseas!

It would go down better than the 39th game. It can be marketed as "The two most successful clubs in England last season go head-to-head in a battle to secure the prized McDonald's Community Shield"

Why not think outside the box and have it abroad, sort of like an 'advert' for the Premier League. not too far though, Amsterdam Arena for example.

Agreed. Didn't they hold the Italian Supercup in China a year or two ago? (Olympic Bird's Nest Stadium).

Question to the English posters on here, do you value the Community Shield? To me it's just a final pre season friendly.

If we win, then yes. If not, then who cares?!! :P

On a serious note, don't think it's gotta do much with winning the Community Shield, but more so of the team that we're facing, the rivalry between the two teams. If we come up against United, Liverpool or Spurs, then I certainly do not want us to lose the game!

Why Villa Park? Has anyone thought because it is roughly geographically equidistant from London to Manchester? Makes perfect sense to play the game there, and it is the biggest stadium not being used for friendlies or Olympic football during that period.

Plus its 25 minutes from where I live so I won't complain.

WTF Villa park is a old toilet...Who cares about the distance its not like teams like Chelsea and City travel by bus.I like the idea the match to be played somewhere outside England, would be good for getting more fans.But what should be considered is that countries like Dubai etc are not a good choice at this time of the year, because the temperature there is like 50 gradus.

I didn't know distance mattered a lot in England. Size of a postage stamp anyway, we could probably fit two England's into New South Wales and around 20 in Western Australia :Goober:

Seriously though isn't Birmingham only like a 1 hour drive from London? And Manchester a 2 hour drive? FFS, there are places in Sydney alone that take an hour to get to even in good traffic conditions.

I didn't know distance mattered a lot in England. Size of a postage stamp anyway, we could probably fit two England's into New South Wales and around 20 in Western Australia :Goober:

Seriously though isn't Birmingham only like a 1 hour drive from London? And Manchester a 2 hour drive? FFS, there are places in Sydney alone that take an hour to get to even in good traffic conditions.

Driving to Penrith is probably the equivalent of driving across half of England :Goober: lol

Birmingham to London is two hours. Manchester to Birmingham is 2 hours, both give or take a bit for driving conditions.

The decision was made last year that it would be at Villa Park. I don't mind Villa Park too much as a stadium and it is definitely one of the better stadiums in the league and one of the better choices considering Hampden Park, Millenium Stadium, Wembley, Old Trafford, St James' Park and Ricoh Arena are being used for Olympic football. However, the Emirates which is a far nicer and better equipped stadium in terms of transport and facilities would be my first choice. Still who cares the Community Shield is meaningless these days. I don't often bother going when it is 40 minutes across London at Wembley. I do agree with TX that it should be overseas but that probably won't happen since the last few years FIFA decide to be clever and put a date for international friendlies 48 hours after the Community Shield.