Villa Park To Host Community Shield

Kez

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ridiculous decision. A stadium like that does not deserve to host the magnitude of a game like Chelsea v. Manchester City. Was the Millennium Stadium not available? I suppose I could still go, it's not that long to travel by train.

Not that much of an awful decision - Wembley and Cardiff are being used for the Olympics and Birmingham is similar distance from both London and Manchester.

Ridiculous decision. A stadium like that does not deserve to host the magnitude of a game like Chelsea v. Manchester City.

Its a great stadium and it used to host FA Cup semi finals - the charity shield is a nothing game really.

what so the fat cats at sky can rake in a ickle bit more money ?

No, so we don't have to fly to Dubai in the middle of a season..

This way at least it's still pre-season and only two teams have to do it, and those sides will be the most marketable anyway.

http://www.telegraph...s-Olympics.html

So the game doesn't clash with the Olympics... Bit of a shit stadium to choose but closer to me so ill be going :D

Agreed - it's only 20 mins from my house so i'll be going.

I have to ask, why Villa Park out of all places?

Equal travelling distance for both sets of fans maybe.

A while ago.. the premier league were talking about having league games in Dubai, United Arab Emirates (in the middle of a season). Why not just make this the fixture we play abroad instead.

My thoughts exactly. In Italy they have already realized the potential in this and they've started playing the Supercoppa Italiana (their counterpart for the Community Shield) in China and if memory serves me right they once played the match in the USA.

yer but only so they could earn more cash.

If Chelsea get to sell a few thousad shirts and gain some new foreign fans, I don't see how that can be bad for the club.

I think we've got to the stage where we are well past trying to preserve the "old beautiful game". Money talks in football today, Chelsea is living proof.