Who's Realistically Ready to Step Up?

The rumours doing the mill in today's papers suggest a squad overhaul maybe even more drastic than any of us may have anticipated, with the entire 'old guard' and fringe players moving on for younger signings and promotions through the academy.

Now we all know that newspaper rumours must always be taken with a pinch of salt, but I do believe over the next two summers the older players will be moved on in full, and the squad will be rebuilt with younger signings and youth team players.

So my question is which of our younger players are ready to play a more prominent role next season? IMO the players currently in the youth team for the cup final are likely to be the second wave of talent to come through in another 2-3 seasons but they are not ready yet. The likes of Piazon and Chalobah may get a debut in the league cup next season but they are not yet ready as a member of the first team squad.

The younger players on our books who I believe are capable of playing a more prominent role next season are: Courtois, Kalas, Bruma, Bertrand, McEachran, de Bruyne, Kakuta and Lukaku.

This doesn't mean that I want all of them to be involved next season because I feel a couple of them will benefit from loan moves due to the quality in front of them for the position in the squad they're trying to seize (In particular I'm thinking Courtois, Bruma and Kalas) However if the rest were to be elevated into the first team picture somewhat, and added to 4-5 real good quality signings then the club's rebuilding plans should be well on the way.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think anyone's ready if I'm honest.

Maybe Bertrand and Lukaku, but I don't think these guys are even ready to play 30+ games consecutively. It's all well and good trying to ask for youth integration, but we also have to remember we're not in training, we don't see their actual potential. We might see a few reserve games and make a judgement, but it's well noted how flawed the reserve and youth leagues are, especially for top clubs.

Of course, though, there's only one real way to know who's ready to step up. That's by gambling. But the balance has to be right between youth & experience. Experience has to dominate.

Good post. I agree that it is basically a 'gamble' to integrate youth nowadays, and even more so given the pressure to be competing at the top of the league.

However if you consider utilising a squad of roughly 25 players during a season, I don't think it is an almighty gamble to allow younger players promoted from the academy to take up 3-4 of these places. In a 50-55 game season they will get chances, train and travel with the first team, without huge pressure on them to come in and make instant impacts. Then once as part of the squad, over the next 2-3 years they should look to play more games each season, gaining more experience and taking on greater responsibilities.

The problem is that when the club tried this 2 years ago they panicked due to poor form and went back to the tried and trusted. It has effectively left the likes of Kakuta and McEachran in limbo for 18 months, when they could now each have 30 odd first team games under their belt.

I'm not expecting these players to become first team regulars next season but getting some game time is critical to their development. For example it's only in the last few weeks that Bertrand has had a few games and played back to back league games. He's not at Ashley Cole's level but the club have not been good enough picking the right games to rest Cole and play Bertrand, which has left Cole now 31 and at times looking tired and Bertrand 22 with no top level experience.

I also appreciate the comment regarding the experienced players, but a number of players in their mid twenties must also now start taking up the mantle of 'experienced' players aswell. This doesn't mean everybody over 30 should be binned but the likes of Torres, Cahill, David Luiz, Mata and Mikel have plenty of experience to be taking on greater reponsibility within the squad and are all still at good ages to 'kick on'.

Well another problem is, we really over hype the youngsters too. Where we see Kakuta and McEachran as the future of this club, we also lack the patience to wait for their time to come through. Of course this isn't without justified reason though, it's still an alarming stat that we haven't brought through an academy player since John Terry.

We've also been incredibly unlucky with our loanees, with the players (for the most part) being unable to make an impact upon where they go. Finally Kakuta's finding some real game time and form at Dijon, but at Bolton & Fulham he just couldn't do enough to break through - I'm sure the language barrier played its part there of course. McEachran's having a similar struggle at Swansea, but in hindsight there should've been anticipation that the Swansea midfield is simply too strong.

Also remember u21 players don't count towards the 25-count. So they can be in the squad regardless anyway.

The pressure of managing a top club like Chelsea, with Roman's board baring over your shoulders means trying to gamble on the kids is a very hard process. Wenger & Fergie do it because they know the board backs them regardless of what happens, because of the reputation they've built for themselves. Mancini will probably have the same troubles at City, Dalglish can get away with it because he's resting on the 'building process' laurels. But here at Chelsea, where we go through managers for fun, it's very hard for a manager to gamble and expect the kids will change the game. I'm sure they want to, but they cannot.

Bertrand is ready. I wouldn't be against selling Cole in the summer and then buy some decent left-back who could rotate with Ryan.

If we were to be so unfortunate to finish lower than 4th and not win the CL then there's the Europa League next season. It could be a good opportunity for all of De Bruyne, Lukaku, Kakuta and McEachran to get a decent amount of minutes under their belts and slowly start taking their places in the team but I'm not so sure if all of them are ready to be first team regulars on a permanent basis as early as next season. Much will depend on who the manager will be...

I think there are a few who could be ready to make the step up to the first team but we can't just rely on the youth academy/reserves, they must be mixed in with some big signings in the Summer too.

I think McEachran is probably the most obvious candidate to compete for a first team spot, with our problems in central midfield he is the type of player we need and, while Im not saying that he will take the world by storm straight away, I think he would grow into the role if he played on a semi regular basis. Kakuta's progress has stalled (partially our fault) and he says he doesn't want any more loan deals so lets simply give him Malouda's role in the side, that of being someone who usually comes off the bench and gets the odd start and if he impresses then maybe he could become a regular fixture in the side, Id rather give Kakuta the chance to impress than continuously seeing Malouda fail. Bertrand is already fairly established in the squad now. Hopefully we see more of Lukaku next season and Kevin De Bruyne too.

None of our youngsters have played 30-40 games a reason regularly expect KDB, Lukaku and Courtious so if youngsters are going to be used from our current squad it should be them. Plus Bertrand has had like 150 Championship games so he is ready too

All about rotation, that is the key

-------------Lukaku----------

De Bryune-----------Kakuta

-------Piazon--Mceachran---

-------------Romeu-------------

Bertrand----------------Hutchinson

------------Luiz--Cahill--------------

--------------Courtois---------------

Now we got ourselves one hell of a carling cup/2nd team

All about rotation, that is the key

-------------Lukaku----------

De Bryune-----------Kakuta

-------Piazon--Mceachran---

-------------Romeu-------------

Bertrand----------------Hutchinson

------------Luiz--Cahill--------------

--------------Courtois---------------

Now we got ourselves one hell of a carling cup/2nd team

Piazon isn't a central mid and Hutchinson isn't a right back.

Well another problem is, we really over hype the youngsters too. Where we see Kakuta and McEachran as the future of this club, we also lack the patience to wait for their time to come through. Of course this isn't without justified reason though, it's still an alarming stat that we haven't brought through an academy player since John Terry.

We've also been incredibly unlucky with our loanees, with the players (for the most part) being unable to make an impact upon where they go. Finally Kakuta's finding some real game time and form at Dijon, but at Bolton & Fulham he just couldn't do enough to break through - I'm sure the language barrier played its part there of course. McEachran's having a similar struggle at Swansea, but in hindsight there should've been anticipation that the Swansea midfield is simply too strong.

Also remember u21 players don't count towards the 25-count. So they can be in the squad regardless anyway.

The pressure of managing a top club like Chelsea, with Roman's board baring over your shoulders means trying to gamble on the kids is a very hard process. Wenger & Fergie do it because they know the board backs them regardless of what happens, because of the reputation they've built for themselves. Mancini will probably have the same troubles at City, Dalglish can get away with it because he's resting on the 'building process' laurels. But here at Chelsea, where we go through managers for fun, it's very hard for a manager to gamble and expect the kids will change the game. I'm sure they want to, but they cannot.

I think one of the biggest reasons for Chelsea fans rating our youngsters highly is in the last five years the club have reached one semi and three finals in the youth cup. Now granted it shouldn't be used as a definite yardstick for players coming through, but in those cup runs the club have had two or three 'special' players per team who stand out at that level. Firstly it was Kakuta and Stoch, then it was Bruma, McEachran and Tore, and this year we have Ake, Chalobah, Piazon and Feruz. You don't expect all the players to come through but for an academy consistently performing that well you expect one or two filtering through. The academy is doing a very good job, and at clubs like Arsenal and United the likes of a Kakuta or McEachran would have been integrated into the first team picture by now.

The problem is after that, and I agree, the lack of direction in terms of management deciding when and who they go out on loan to and/or when they come up to the first team is abysmal. The lack of planning due to the regularity of managerial changes also adds to the problem. The loans of Courtois, Kakuta, Bruma and Kalas have worked well this season and I hope this is a sign of things to come from Chelsea but it also remains to be seen whether they can successfully perform the next step, being integrating them into our first team squad.

I firmly believe once one or two 'make it' then the process will have been achieved and more will continue to follow.

Rotation, as i mentioned earlier, and Yes Hutchinson can play RB and CB, just like Ivanovic can play CB and RB

Piazon can either play wing or as an attacking midfielder, just like Mata can play LW and CAM,

All about rotation

Yes but there is a difference between a central midfielder and an attacking midfielder...

I've been impressed with Bertrand when he's played, so I think he could definitely step up. Lukaku is not quite ready yet IMO. Get him on loan and let the kid build his confidence and skills up. He's too big and too strong to simply be a counter attacking goal scorer which is what he is at the moment. He needs to learn to play with his back to goal.

The rumours doing the mill in today's papers suggest a squad overhaul maybe even more drastic than any of us may have anticipated, with the entire 'old guard' and fringe players moving on for younger signings and promotions through the academy.

Now we all know that newspaper rumours must always be taken with a pinch of salt, but I do believe over the next two summers the older players will be moved on in full, and the squad will be rebuilt with younger signings and youth team players.

So my question is which of our younger players are ready to play a more prominent role next season? IMO the players currently in the youth team for the cup final are likely to be the second wave of talent to come through in another 2-3 seasons but they are not ready yet. The likes of Piazon and Chalobah may get a debut in the league cup next season but they are not yet ready as a member of the first team squad.

The younger players on our books who I believe are capable of playing a more prominent role next season are: Courtois, Kalas, Bruma, Bertrand, McEachran, de Bruyne, Kakuta and Lukaku.

This doesn't mean that I want all of them to be involved next season because I feel a couple of them will benefit from loan moves due to the quality in front of them for the position in the squad they're trying to seize (In particular I'm thinking Courtois, Bruma and Kalas) However if the rest were to be elevated into the first team picture somewhat, and added to 4-5 real good quality signings then the club's rebuilding plans should be well on the way.

What about the UEFA rules regarding home-country... how many English players are in the B team?

Chalobah an Lukaku are both more ready then people give them credit for. The likes of Kakuta and de Bruyne are ready to be squad players while Bertrand is ready to be a first team player, all in my opinion.

No way that Piazon, Feruz and co are ready. Echo what LDN said. Lukaku should have gotten at least 5 more starts this season in the cups and sub appearances in the PL. But thanks to torres and his hopeless form, we often had to start him against weaker teams to see if he could get confidence.

Next season Kakuta, McEachran, Bertrand and Lukaku should all get about 4-5 starts in the PL and in the carling cup, with sub appearances when we are comfortable. De Bruyne too. He seems the most "ready".