The European Leagues & Competitions Thread V2

CHOULO19

9 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

They weren't that bad. Ronaldo could have scored 5 goals if he was a little bit sharper.

Gesendet von meinem VOG-L29 mit Tapatalk

Mind this was vs the 7th best team of the 5th best league in Europe and Lyon could have scored a couple more themselves, should have gotten one more pen. Ronaldo and Juve time is up. 

3 hours ago, Puliiszola said:

How bloody overrated is varane. World class my ass. 

If we were to buy him and make him spear head our defence, he will look worse than rudi.

On the other hand, ramos' quality can't be overstated. 

I have watched him inmasive depth for ages

and that was by far the worst game I have ever seen him have

it was like it was not even him

he has been an utterly superb CB for just ages

he looked  worse than AC tonight

btw way, as you know

I am of the opinion that Rudiger is by far our best CB, and whilst he has a rough post injury spell for months, he will recover his form

AC (pussyklaat) and Zouma (agility and ball skills of a drunken hippo) are both pure shite and will never be effective Chels CB's IMHO

7 hours ago, Pizy said:

Real Madrid have looked horrendous this whole match. In fact, they've looked terrible nearly each time I've seen them this season. It seems as though they're so used to 95% of opponents being terrified of them and bending over that when a team of equal quality takes the game to them they can't take it.

City haven't even been their best and could've score 4-5 here.

Funny you said that, even when they won ucl back to back, they dont look good but they have many, in basketball term clutch player, such as ronaldo, ramos which is important in knockout competition. 

6 hours ago, Vesper said:

I have watched him inmasive depth for ages

and that was by far the worst game I have ever seen him have

it was like it was not even him

he has been an utterly superb CB for just ages

he looked  worse than AC tonight

btw way, as you know

I am of the opinion that Rudiger is by far our best CB, and whilst he has a rough post injury spell for months, he will recover his form

AC (pussyklaat) and Zouma (agility and ball skills of a drunken hippo) are both pure shite and will never be effective Chels CB's IMHO

Real Madrid vs Ajax had the same story and performance too. Basically anytime I see him without Ramos, he looks like a fish out of water. 

Think he is technically solid (tbf, so is AC), but has a poor mental fortitude. 

Definitely not world class.

6 hours ago, Puliiszola said:

Real Madrid vs Ajax had the same story and performance too. Basically anytime I see him without Ramos, he looks like a fish out of water. 

Think he is technically solid (tbf, so is AC), but has a poor mental fortitude. 

Definitely not world class.

Really have to question your definition of world class. If Varane is not world class, no one is. He has been a magnificent CB for ages, and dominated at the WC with no Ramos.

2 hours ago, Vesper said:

Really have to question your definition of world class. If Varane is not world class, no one is. He has been a magnificent CB for ages, and dominated at the WC with no Ramos.

Overall the standards in defending has gone way down. Not so long ago you had Vidic Ferdinand Puyol Terry Cavalio Maldini etc etc....they could pass, they could jump, they could organize their defence, could score and most of all could bloody defend. Now they need their hands held like little children. Todays defenders aint got shit on those that came before them.

36 minutes ago, Vesper said:

As was Giroud without scoring a goal. Or James in 2014. National competitions always give an anomaly.

Anyways agree to disagree. Think he is a good CB. But the hype around is just too much, you would think he was the 2nd coming of beckenbauer.

Just now, Atomiswave said:

Overall the standards in defending has gone way down. Not so long ago you had Vidic Ferdinand Puyol Terry Cavalio Maldini etc etc....they could pass, they could jump, they could organize their defence, could score and most of all could bloody defend. Now they need their hands hold like little children. Todays defenders aint got shit on those that came before them.

overall, I totally agree, but Varane is hardly 'not world class' after one shit game. That was my point. I have followed him since he was at Lens, He first came onto my radar in the winter window of 2011. He was pretty much, even at 17 and 18yo, clearly the only quality player on a dreadful side that got relegated. He could play CB, DMF, and sweeper. RM clearly saw this, and swooped in for him summer of 2011. The rest is history. Vidic and Puyol and Rio and Maldini all had howler games over the course of their careers. Shit happens. Is Varane the equal to peak Ramos? No, but not many were, and Ramos is 35yo in March. Time marches on for all humans.

IF we were ever going to make a move for Varane, now is the last (or near last, as he turns 28 in April, and after that (next summer) he goes off my board due to age, just like KK did) and best shot. The best time to buy assets is when they are perceived to be at a low, weak point. Buy low, sell high. The housing market in the US, for instance, is off the chain, even with the horrid COVID-19 decimation of their economy, as informed wealth knows bargains.

Some of the games when Ramos did not play: Real:Ajax 1:4, PSG:Real 3:0 and this last night...

It is very important for teams their CBs form good partnership. All our CBs look clueless this season but with one top CB guys like Rudi or Zouma or Chris can look much, much better.

Rudi-Zouma is our best pairing and like I said many times they played just 4 times this season and we kept 4 clean sheets. Why Frank did not used them more I do not understand.

26 minutes ago, Atomiswave said:

Overall the standards in defending has gone way down. Not so long ago you had Vidic Ferdinand Puyol Terry Cavalio Maldini etc etc....they could pass, they could jump, they could organize their defence, could score and most of all could bloody defend. Now they need their hands hold like little children. Todays defenders aint got shit on those that came before them.

Exactly this. Just a decade or 15 years ago, varane would not be anywhere near to the discussion of being a "world class" player.

I think people confuse "world class" with being on of the top players in the world. I mean varane technically is great, and might be in top 15/top 10 maybe CB in the world AT THIS MOMENT which is more an indication of how low the standards have fallen in defending. 

For me, when you say "world class" it means a player that can change the whole dynamics of the team.by just being on pitch, raises the quality of everyone around him. Take VVd, for example. Ramos is the prime example. Clutch, leader, great at everything including being a cunt. Hell he makes nacho look great. That should be the definition of a world class player.

1 hour ago, Vesper said:

overall, I totally agree, but Varane is hardly 'not world class' after one shit game. That was my point. I have followed him since he was at Lens, He first came onto my radar in the winter window of 2011. He was pretty much, even at 17 and 18yo, clearly the only quality player on a dreadful side that got relegated. He could play CB, DMF, and sweeper. RM clearly saw this, and swooped in for him summer of 2011. The rest is history. Vidic and Puyol and Rio and Maldini all had howler games over the course of their careers. Shit happens. Is Varane the equal to peak Ramos? No, but not many were, and Ramos is 35yo in March. Time marches on for all humans.

IF we were ever going to make a move for Varane, now is the last (or near last, as he turns 28 in April, and after that (next summer) he goes off my board due to age, just like KK did) and best shot. The best time to buy assets is when they are perceived to be at a low, weak point. Buy low, sell high. The housing market in the US, for instance, is off the chain, even with the horrid COVID-19 decimation of their economy, as informed wealth knows bargains.

I understand sister, I will give you that he is one of the best and 1 game does not change that. But compared to the ones mentioned he is lower class, so is VVD etc. I dont think we will go for Varane nor will RM sell anyway, fat chance I reckon.

7 minutes ago, Atomiswave said:

I understand sister, I will give you that he is one of the best and 1 game does not change that. But compared to the ones mentioned he is lower class, so is VVD etc. I dont think we will go for Varane nor will RM sell anyway, fat chance I reckon.

sadly so, and after next season ends, and the summer 2021/January 2022 windows close, off the list he goes, as I will never recco a 29yo and up non-GK as a principal target

after this summer and January 2021 windows, a good chunk of my recs come off as well (and some will come off due to sales)

no more Alaba,,Sime Vrsaljko, Tagliafico (and tbh, he is last on the acceptable list, but is still an upgrade), Stefan de Vrij, Dunk, Savic (tbh, off already), Alex Sandro (off already), KK (off already), Sergi Roberto, Casemiro, Thiago, Remo Freuler, Koke, Jonas Hofmann, Thomas Delaney, Matías Vecino, Philippe Coutinho, Isco, James Rodríguez (off already, unless he came on a free), Sadio Mané, Mo Salah, Bobby Firmino, Heung-min Son, Pablo Sarabia, Antoine Griezmann, Raúl Jiménez, Wissam Ben Yedder, Rodrigo,and Wout Weghorst

none will be on a summer 2021 list (and some nver were really on any list)

all will be (or are already) too old to buy for the money demanded,