The European Leagues & Competitions Thread V2

CHOULO19

Spanish teams would keep holding both trophies i reckon. I would even say the finals will be quite easy for both Barcelona and Sevilla.

Spain likely to have 5 teams in Champions League next season...

Will UEFA allow that?

I have a feeling they won't.

They have changed the rule. Europa League winners now get a spot in the Champions League.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2330238/Europa-League-winners-given-Champions-League-place-UEFA.html

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/newsid=2215121.html

I'm aware of that, but they could deduct a place or have two teams fight for qualification. They have prevented 5 teams going into the CL from England since it happened a few years back.

I know it's a different situation, but I'm sure they'll put something in place to prevent it soon enough, if they haven't already.

I'm aware of that, but they could deduct a place or have two teams fight for qualification. They have prevented 5 teams going into the CL from England since it happened a few years back.

I know it's a different situation, but I'm sure they'll put something in place to prevent it soon enough, if they haven't already.

But why would UEFA change now when they themselves comfirmed that 5 clubs from the same country can be in the Champions League?

The reason they give the Europa League winners a place in the Champions League is to make that competition more appealing. They aren't going to make the third/fourth placed team suffer for that.

But why would UEFA change now when they themselves comfirmed that 5 clubs from the same country can be in the Champions League?

The reason they give the Europa League winners a place in the Champions League is to make that competition more appealing. They aren't going to make the third/fourth placed team suffer for that.

That doesn't affect the EL. If two teams have to qualify, the EL winners won't care one bit.

Yeah but the team who finish in the Champions League places?

They won't have a leg to stand, if UEFA want to change things. How do you think Tottenham felt in 2012?

Powerless!

They won't have a leg to stand of if UEFA want to change things. How do you think Tottenham felt in 2012?

Powerless!

But the old rule was already established when that happened. Tottenham knew they wouldn't play in the Champions League if we beat Bayern Munich in the final.

But the old rule was already established when that happened. Tottenham knew they wouldn't play in the Champions League if we beat Bayern Munich in the final.

As I said previously, if that rule isn't already in place now (I'm not a UEFA sec), it will be soon enough.

Who cares about Tottenham, I was delighted to see them miss out on UCL football

No one, but I was making a valid point in relation to the topic at hand.

What's wrong with having 5 teams from the same country anyway? Why would UEFA change it back to 4 as the maximum??

Why don't you ask them?

I have nothing against it, but UEFA did in 2005 and acted upon it.

Why don't you ask them?

I have nothing against it, but UEFA did in 2005 and acted upon it.

I'm guessing you meant the situation with Liverpool when they won the Champions League?

That was different. The competition needed the holders in it and hence why UEFA decided to put them in even though they finished fifth (IIRC) that season. It didn't even affect Everton who got fourth spot.

I'm guessing you meant the situation with Liverpool when they won the Champions League?

That was different. The competition needed the holders in it and hence why UEFA decided to put them in even though they finished fifth (IIRC) that season. It didn't even affect Everton who got fourth spot.

Yes. It didn't affect them, but it has affected everyone else since. Them failing to qualifying was music to UEFA's ears.