I'm worried about 4th place

Chelsea?

will we finish top 4  

95 members have voted

1. 1. will we finish top 4

• Yes
    • No

Unlike BLionheart, you can call me overly optimistic. If AVB keeps his job [he will] and Chelsea finishes outside the top 4 [we will] an exodus will occur exspelling the underperformers [whoever they are].

Some people would like the Higuians, the Hazards and the Hulks of the world to be signed to the club for astronomical fees, but I would like AVB to scout around and find players [unknown or famous is up to him] that add to the teams overall play and not just bring statistics to the club. And when I say statistics I mean players like Cavani. On paper [Wikipedia] they can look fantastic [56 Goals in 78 appearances of Edison Cavani] but given our system of play, how can statistics justify a signing?

Players like Cavani need constant feeding of the ball or in other words to be the vangaurd of the attack. At Napoli a very quick counter-attack system is used with every player looking to support Cavani or failing that they will look for Lavezzi or Hamsik who either attempt to score or continue the process of looking for Cavani.

So what I'm trying to say is: we need players that fit our 4-3-3 philosophy of possessive and attacking football not players that make Torres, Lampard or Terry look good. I'm not saying players like Cavani won't fit but we must be cautious around players who exceed is very different environments.

The amazing rebuild is more likely to be extreme if we fail our attempt for 4th place.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it could benefit to miss out...

How?

It's not going to attract big name players if we don't make Champions League, especially if everyone wants to get rid of Lampard, Cole, Drogba, Torres, Essien, Mikel etc. we're going to need to buy some quality players to help us to be a top team again.

The thing is if we don't finish 4th, AVB will most likely get sacked... after a disappointing season the only thing i'm looking forward to is his transfer plan, but if he is sacked i guess the old guard will stay for another season.

How?

It's not going to attract big name players if we don't make Champions League, especially if everyone wants to get rid of Lampard, Cole, Drogba, Torres, Essien, Mikel etc. we're going to need to buy some quality players to help us to be a top team again.

Do not forget Man city signed big players when and they weren't in the Champions league.

To be honest I was never worried. I've expected Europa League finish as soon as transfer window closed. I was looking forward to it in some strange way. Don't get me wrong. I am aware of bad consequences of not playing in CL.

Money - we will lose millions. But how many millions have we wasted last year only?

Top signings - nothing suggest we can afford four or five of those, and that is exactly what we need. 5 players and couple of decent squad players. Despite popular opinion Cavani alone wouldn't do much here, and he certainly wouldn't have same goal ratio in our system than in Napoli.

This club is in very difficult situation, burdened by bad decisions made in the past, related to transfer policy, wages policy, even our youth system. There are only two ways out of this in my opinion.

1. Money. Couple hundred of millions, similar wage policy, continuity of the same standards.

2. Revolution and afterwards transition. Setting different standards. Forming of a new team of talented but not so established players, and gradually improving of the same. It will take years, not season or two. It could be painful but at the same time could bring what football is really about to Chelsea FC.

Sometimes in life one needs to fail in order to improve ( and learn). That is not the best or the most desired way, but given our decision making, it's the only way.

Europa League ( if we made it there) will integrate changes. For better or for worst but will bring changes. Given the direction we are heading right now, with these standards and decision making, we truly have nothing to lose.

And give us opportunity to see some of our youth players in Chelsea shirt.

Well this is how I see it, at least.

Do you think "Big Name Players" will be attracted by us, after seeing us being battered by Inter in 1/8, humiliated by United in 1/4 and again humiliated by Napoli in 1/8, and all this in three years in a row ?

I think it could benefit to miss out...

I don't think so, I am sure.

First of all, we will have more liberty towards the FFP, which means we will have more money to renew the team. Off course, because of this, some players wouldn't want to come here, maybe Hazard, but the Football is a sea filled up with talents. And as LDN pointed out somewhere, ManCity signed David Silva while being in Europa League. And this is exactly where André Villas-Boas will be usefull. Indeed, there's some players who seem to be inspired by him. They are Hulk and most certainly Falcao and Moutinho. I believe they wouldn't mind playing in Europa League if it means being together again with André (Hulk seems to crave for join André, and Falcao didn't mind the fact Atlético were playing in EL). Plus André has a certain philosophy about the football, a philosophy which is attractive for young players, I guess (since it is Barça-esque). Finally, even if we might not be able to sign the most famous talents, we will just have to search for the "undergound" talents... Isn't it what many people here were wanting ? So, to sign good players won't be the biggest problem, in my opinion.

If there's a problem, it will be financial-wise, we will lose money for not being qualified for the Champions League. Then again, if we have a good journey in Europa League, we can win a non-negligible amount of money, I guess.

If we aren't in Champions League, we will have less pressure on our back, and I believe it will allow us to introduce players such as kakuta and Kevin de Bryune in our Starting XI next season. We will be able to create a team peacefully.