The Players

francozola

Mods please move this if you want but I thought we could have a "Players" thread to discuss the team/group of players as a whole instead of individual players.

Anyway - I fear that the players are going to get AVB sacked, even if Roman does not intend on doing so. And before I see comments like "that would be a good thing" etc, first of all, I do not support the possible decision that he will get the sack. And second of all, if the players are the one orchestrating this decision, then there is no way that this could ever become a good decision because it will boost their egos even more.

The sacking of Jose & Scolari was influenced by players, especially the latter. And while Scolari really was a disaster and I supported the initiative shown by the players at first, in the end I think that decision by Roman to sack him has played a big part in why the players we have at the club now behave the way they are behaving.

They saw that they have the ability to get coaches fired. Coaches, who are supposed to be their superiors. So whether consciously or subconsciously, they realized that they are the ones in charge and are able to make decisions. This had led to all of them losing some hunger, desire and also fear - fear of losing their places, fear that coaches will get rid of them if they don't fit into their plans.

They played a huge part in Carlo getting the sack last season. Yes we had some key injuries and other problems such as the firing of Ray Wilkins, the disaster that is Torres, etc but if the players had put in some effort, we could have done much better. I don't mean simply in terms of winning the title, but I'm talking about the performances and the way other people viewed us as a team that kept going all the way, never giving up, etc. One of the most embarrassing days of my "Chelsea" life has been when we played against Newcastle at home in the 2nd last game of the season. Most people knew by then that Carlo was going to be sacked. That was our last game at Stamford Bridge, Carlo's last game and also the "end of the season" at home. And there were 11 players on the pitch but not a single one showed any desire. They didn't give a shit about any of that. And at the end of the game, they expect a round of applause from the fans? I know a lot of people called the Chelsea fans plastic for leaving the stadium before the lap of "honour" but I completely agree with what they did. Why do those players deserve any cheer and applause? Carlo deserved a proper goodbye, whether you agreed with his sacking or whether you even liked him as a manager. That man brought the double to the club, and he deserved something better than that. But in their minds, the players were already off to their holidays in Spain or France or wherever.

By looking at Lampard's behaviour yesterday, he did look completely unhappy and couldn't be arsed to do anything. Not only did he put in a shit performance, he also didn't even try. That's what makes it worse. The only players showing any desire yesterday were Ivanovic, Luiz, Essien and Mata. These are the only players in the team that have any backbone. I thought Lampard would be one of them, but perhaps I was wrong. Maybe I'm being harsh and maybe it was simply an off day for him. We'll have to see how he performs in the next few games. I'm not trying to have a go at him. What I'm saying is... he's the most important player at this club along with JT and if even he is acting this way..... who knows whats going on behind the scenes.

If any of the players approach Roman and ask him (or demand him) to sack AVB, I hope Roman does the sensible thing and sacks them instead. I don't care if we have to sack 20 of our first team squad. I would rather play the remainder of our games with reserve players than to play these overpaid, lazy idiots.

These are just my 2¢. I'm still pissed after yesterday so my thoughts are probably incoherent. Again, if mods think this should be moved, feel free.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Drogba faction, I feel, has more power these days than the Terry faction. We know for sure that it was the Drogba/Cech/Ballack lot that got rid of Scolari, the JT group haven't really done much of late, although they may have been partly responsible for José's departure

Coincidentally, those 4 you named as those showing desire are the ones I don't think are involved in dressing room politics. Get this mob of wannabe Obama's out or shatter their source of power: the countless people between Roman and the club.

The Drogba faction, I feel, has more power these days than the Terry faction. We know for sure that it was the Drogba/Cech/Ballack lot that got rid of Scolari, the JT group haven't really done much of late, although they may have been partly responsible for José's departure Coincidentally, those 4 you named as those showing desire are the ones I don't think are involved in dressing room politics. Get this mob of wannabe Obama's out or shatter their source of power: the countless people between Roman and the club.

Yeah agreed. Drogba, Malouda and co. seem to have too much power and influence in the team & dressing room. Basically a squad overhaul is needed not only to replace old players with new, hungrier players but also to get rid of the player power that exists in the squad. All of our new signings (Luiz, Ramires, Mata, Lukaku, Romeu, Sturridge) are not part of that yet and we need to keep it that way.

The Drogba faction, I feel, has more power these days than the Terry faction. We know for sure that it was the Drogba/Cech/Ballack lot that got rid of Scolari, the JT group haven't really done much of late, although they may have been partly responsible for José's departure

Coincidentally, those 4 you named as those showing desire are the ones I don't think are involved in dressing room politics. Get this mob of wannabe Obama's out or shatter their source of power: the countless people between Roman and the club.

lol its funny you call it the "Drogab faction" or the "JT Group"

But non of this is new. It was expected when AVB was appointed. It is what a lot of commentators said at the beginning, yet they got criticized by AVB and a lot of Chelsea fans....

Well when you hear reports such as this:

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12379/7492520/Citizen-Jose-

"(Italian paper) Gazzetta published that there was a text conversation between Mourinho,spacer.gifDidier Drogbaspacer.gif and Frank Lampardspacer.gif where he was saying: 'We'll be together soon'.

It makes you wonder if some of the players really cared about this club or just want to suck up to Jose.

By the way if that quote is true in anyway, then Lampard and Drogba should be kicked out of the club immediately. Becuase it shows that they really are a negative influence of the club. It would also mean that hiring Jose back would be a complete disaster, as it would just fuel their big egos even more and we are back to Lampard and Drogba being the main center of the team, which would spell disaster in the long term.

Well when you hear reports such as this:

http://www1.skysport...0/Citizen-Jose-

It makes you wonder if some of the players really cared about this club or just want to suck up to Jose.

By the way if that quote is true in anyway, then Lampard and Drogba should be kicked out of the club immediately. Becuase it shows that they really are a negative influence of the club. It would also mean that hiring Jose back would be a complete disaster, as it would just fuel their big egos even more and we are back to Lampard and Drogba being the main center of the team, which would spell disaster in the long term.

if they do get back together then ABC ,,,,,,,,,,anywhere but Chelsea

The newer players simply won't get involved in this shit. The old ones are only into it because Mourinho built them up with that Untouchable's shit and inflated their egos. The whole dressing room power has been exacerbated by weak managers that followed Mourinho, like Grant, Ancelotti and Villas-Boas. Managers who openly tried to break it apart, like Scolari, were dealt with almost immediately.

The team is failing because our old experienced superstars, bar Terry, are too focused on proving themselves worthy of a first-team place (Lampard) or trying to get a new contract (Drogba)...Bottom-line is none of them are now really focused on the club's future at this point...

While the players can be blamed...there is also poor man-management being shown by the club

It's a thing of madness about how true player-power is amongst our club. Yet, it's the board's fault for their open-door hire/fire policy of managers. After it worked with Mourinho they realised they could simply whisper to Roman & co. what they felt and it would be done.

André was always at a disadvantage when he came. They knew he lacked experience, they knew him from before & some of them might even have been bitter from Carlo's firing where what they said occurred. Now they're clearly scared after seeing what happened to Alex & Anelka, it remains to be seen if Roman commits.

It's a thing of madness about how true player-power is amongst our club. Yet, it's the board's fault for their open-door hire/fire policy of managers. After it worked with Mourinho they realised they could simply whisper to Roman & co. what they felt and it would be done.

André was always at a disadvantage when he came. They knew he lacked experience, they knew him from before & some of them might even have been bitter from Carlo's firing where what they said occurred. Now they're clearly scared after seeing what happened to Alex & Anelka, it remains to be seen if Roman commits.

In that sense the treatment of Alex and Anelka served as a great example

In that sense the treatment of Alex and Anelka served as a great example

Indeed, I respect André for that. But the power these players believe to have clearly reacted in a different way to what was expected, and for that they must leave. The problem we have in summer, however, is FFP. This year is not a year where we can have a major overhaul, in fact that just cannot happen now unless we've mastered some skilful negotiating abilities, which I doubt.

I think people are going to be slightly shocked when it comes to incoming players.

Indeed, I respect André for that. But the power these players believe to have clearly reacted in a different way to what was expected, and for that they must leave. The problem we have in summer, however, is FFP. This year is not a year where we can have a major overhaul, in fact that just cannot happen now unless we've mastered some skilful negotiating abilities, which I doubt.

I think people are going to be slightly shocked when it comes to incoming players.

We won't need a major overhaul in one summer, I actually think it wouldn't be the best option. It should happen gradually between 2-3 years. Until we get a set of wingers and a decent midfielder, I believe we'll be able to challenge for top 3 places. 3 first XI players would be enough for now imo. It would enable us to play Ramires, the new midfielder (a deep-lying playmaker?) and Mata as central midfielders, while 2 new good wingers give us a new dimension in attack. Those 3 players are crucial to transform us from the shit we are now to something decent imo.

Woud it be that hard to replace Lampard and Malouda? In summer we could get Hoilett and Montolivo almost for nothing.

Woud it be that hard to replace Lampard and Malouda? In summer we could get Hoilett and Montolivo almost for nothing.

I agree. But what we have now is names like Hazard, Gotze, Neymar, Lucas being thrown around that names that you mentioned seem almost inferior to those previously mentioned. It's like that argument about players giving a f'ck, even if we had that in players like Ferreira & co. People would complain how they're not good enough to play for CFC. Fans can't have it both ways, these days it's one or the other.

I agree. But what we have now is names like Hazard, Gotze, Neymar, Lucas being thrown around that names that you mentioned seem almost inferior to those previously mentioned. It's like that argument about players giving a f'ck, even if we had that in players like Ferreira & co. People would complain how they're not good enough to play for CFC. Fans can't have it both ways, these days it's one or the other.

The fact is that we also need to add some squad players. We don't even have decent options on our bench.

They wouldn't stand in Hazard's way.

The fact is that we also need to add some squad players. We don't even have decent options on our bench.

They wouldn't stand in Hazard's way.

Yeah that's true, we're a team of DM's at the moment to be frank. At least the fruitless calls for an early promotion for Josh may cease with squad signings lol, whatever happens Chelsea must make the signings André wants, otherwise the same thing will just keep happening.

Since we're talking about the rebuilding process.... As it's been mentioned, we can't get rid of them all in one go, but we can get rid of the ones with the most player power i.e. Drogba & Malouda. And tell Lampard that he's a second-string player now and if he's not happy about it, he can leave. IF the board are actually smart about it, there will be plenty of players available on a free or for 10-15 million. We don't need superstar signings for every position.

The things that Andre said in the press conference near the end of the January transfer window... about the real business happening in the summer... makes me optimistic that there'll be some proper rebuilding done. We need to sign one striker, two winger, one creative midfielder, and one right-back and get rid of Torres, Drogba, Malouda, Bosingwa. Those positions should be our biggest priorities. Play Bertrand at LB at least as many games as Cole. We should try Sturridge up top towards the end of this season, to see if he can handle it on a long-term basis at least. If he can, then we only need to sign one striker and assign Sturridge as a CF next season. If not, we need two strikers.

Our midfield would consist of: Essien, Mikel, Romeu, Ramires, Lampard, Meireles, *New Midfielder* and possibly McEachran. That's still not enough quality there but one quality creative midfielder could help tremendously.

Defense: *New RB*, Ivanovic, JT, Luiz, Cahill, Betrand, Cole which is okay I think. We need a top-class centreback for the future but it isn't an immediate priority imo

Attack: Mata, Sturridge, *new winger*, *new striker*, *new winger/striker*, Lukaku - this depends on how we conduct our business and the type of players that we get. We can't expect superstars because they will cost too much. Maybe we'll be able to get Hazard if he wants to join us. So AVB will have to look to hungry & quality players.