Kevin de Bruyne

Madmax

Unathletic Gerrard? Pffft

The Belgian team has its own issues but who knows maybe Mou is playing them up so he can take them over in the future and try to win a World Cup. There's plenty of talent and it keeps coming.

We still haven't seen what Musonda Jr. can do at the senior level.

Tielemans needs more seasoning and Praet needs to live in a gym for the next year.

KDB just needs to play regularly.

Unathletic Gerrard? Pffft

The Belgian team has its own issues but who knows maybe Mou is playing them up so he can take them over in the future and try to win a World Cup. There's plenty of talent and it keeps coming.

We still haven't seen what Musonda Jr. can do at the senior level.

Tielemans needs more seasoning and Praet needs to live in a gym for the next year.

KDB just needs to play regularly.

However, Kompany is declining..

Your soul, your captain, your leader and best player... Who would replace him in europe 2016?

He just always tries the most difficult passes you can give, and he succeeds a lot. Every pass of him is meant to bring a teammate alone in front of the goalkeeper. And when a pass doesn't succeed, it's not that bad. The defenders or the goalkeepers can't do that much with it. High risk play certainly works in his position, I would certainly keep that in his game. And yes, Oscar has a higher passing completion, but De Bruyne is obviously a 10 times better passing player than Oscar.

Let us all be players that give the easiest 2 metres pass possible, so we can get a pass completion of 98% and that everybody will cheer for our statistics while we bring nothing extra to our team. Yay

74% is unacceptable. No one at top level is allowed to have such a completion rate. It's not even up to discussion. Just take a look at the best attacking midfielders in the world.

74% is unacceptable. No one at top level is allowed to have such a completion rate. It's not even up to discussion. Just take a look at the best attacking midfielders in the world.

What he shows on the field is what matters, not what some guys write that judge him only on one statistic. Bundesliga POY will be a battle between Robben and De Bruyne, enough said.

What he shows on the field is what matters, not what some guys write that judge him only on one statistic. Bundesliga POY will be a battle between Robben and De Bruyne, enough said.

The point is that at the top teams 74% will not cut it. It's fine for Wolfsburg but that's not good enough at a European elite. I bet you other than strikers and goalkeepers you won't find a single player with 74% pass completion at any of the top teams in Europe (other than Athletico possibly and Dortmund in previous years).

You're right, the types of passes he tries are very high risk but there should be a better balance. It's fine at Wolfsburg since he's their only outlet but with better players around him that won't cut it.

Similarly, a guy like Schurrle will fit at Wolfsburg because he'll get you the goals but outside of that we know his passing is nothing special, his dribbling and ball control skills aren't up to par either. He needed the goals AND those other attributes if he ever wanted to regularly start at a top team. While at Wolfsburg, they'll be happy with goals.

It's an interesting debate. I think as De Bruyne matures his passing % will increase. The question is if that 26% is costing his team more than the 74% is benefiting them.

I've always hated the passing % stat because there's no context behind the stat.

Player could have 100 passes all played within 5 yards and all backwards and sideways complete 98 of them and produced zero in terms of the game whereas another player could have make 100 passes complete 75 have 50 within 5 yards 30 within 10 yards etc have a low completion pct but put 5 balls through for top drawer goal scoring chances.

A decent amount of KDBs passes are in the final third and they often are passes with incisive intent.

It's an interesting debate. I think as De Bruyne matures his passing % will increase. The question is if that 26% is costing his team more than the 74% is benefiting them.

I've always hated the passing % stat because there's no context behind the stat.

Player could have 100 passes all played within 5 yards and all backwards and sideways complete 98 of them and produced zero in terms of the game whereas another player could have make 100 passes complete 75 have 50 within 5 yards 30 within 10 yards etc have a low completion pct but put 5 balls through for top drawer goal scoring chances.

A decent amount of KDBs passes are in the final third and they often are passes with incisive intent.

Well I'm talking about comparing his pass percentages to others in his position (#10s, attacking midfielders).

Guys like Mata, Eden, Silva, Isco, James. I haven't looked em up, but I'm confident none of em have a pass percentage below 80-85. We know they all are creative and try risky passes just like KDB, so it's a fine to compare pass percentages in this context.

Well I'm talking about comparing his pass percentages to others in his position (#10s, attacking midfielders).

Guys like Mata, Eden, Silva, Isco, James. I haven't looked em up, but I'm confident none of em have a pass percentage below 80-85. We know they all are creative and try risky passes just like KDB, so it's a fine to compare pass percentages in this context.

Not one of these players passes as risky as De Bruyne. 85-90% of their passes are normal standard passes, ofcourse they have a higher percentage then. Of all these players, KDB has certainly the best passing game.

74% is misleading. He plays in a fast paced, counter attacking system. He attempts a lot of long balls, killer passes and crosses. His passing percentage was above 80% in the WC IRC.

Did someone label KDB unathletic btw? Lol

Yep that's correct and James had a passing percentage below 80%.

Reus is unacceptable too?

Reus plays on the wing. And he's not a playmaker. If you can name just three top playmakers with a low pass completion %, I have said nothing.

I'm telling you, man. If KDB moves to a top side, his passing percentage will eventually shoot up. Kroos went through a similar development.

The point is that at the top teams 74% will not cut it. It's fine for Wolfsburg but that's not good enough at a European elite. I bet you other than strikers and goalkeepers you won't find a single player with 74% pass completion at any of the top teams in Europe (other than Athletico possibly and Dortmund in previous years).

You're right, the types of passes he tries are very high risk but there should be a better balance. It's fine at Wolfsburg since he's their only outlet but with better players around him that won't cut it.

Similarly, a guy like Schurrle will fit at Wolfsburg because he'll get you the goals but outside of that we know his passing is nothing special, his dribbling and ball control skills aren't up to par either. He needed the goals AND those other attributes if he ever wanted to regularly start at a top team. While at Wolfsburg, they'll be happy with goals.

It's about what your coach and team are expecting of you, isn't it? At Wolfsburg KDB plays very high up the pitch. Most of the time when he has the ball, he's in the final third of the pitch, where coach and team are expecting him to be decisive.

Wolfsburg are playing a very direct and fast style of football too. When they have the ball, they play it forward very fast, reminding me a bit about Klopps Dortmund. They score lots of goals after breaking fast when winning back the ball.

So yes, KDB's pass-percentage is a bit low, but this isn't necessarily a part of KDB's game. At Genk he played a few games as CM, he played more safe in that position. Although I agree that KDB is a player that likes to play on the break and likes to play direct.

Did you just say Meunier is the best player in the league?

Yeah, that one actually made me laugh out loud.

Let him first prove that he's better than Antony VDB - which he's absolutely not if I'm concerned - and then we can talk about being better than players in other positions.

This could have only come from a Bruges fan. First in the league for the first time in 10 years and they think they're playing 11 Messis. ;-)