Frank Lampard

DavidEU

On 03/01/2016 at 11:38 PM, Rhino's Skin said:

Nice loud 5 minute rendition of the "Frankie Lampard scored 200 against the pikeys" song v Palace.

Love it when our support still show respect to ex players through songs

Love the respect but not the song. Can't love a song which includes a racist term I'm afraid.

Where was the respect for Studge last night? What did he do wrong?

39 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Love the respect but not the song. Can't love a song which includes a racist term I'm afraid.

Where was the respect for Studge last night? What did he do wrong?

"racist"...not so sure.

derogatory.....most probably,  like the word "chav" that its commonly used with or insted of.

Thats all for a different thread.

but hey ho in this over PC world we live in nowadays perhaps the words should be changed to " scored 200 against the turnpike travellers"

;-)

11 minutes ago, Rhino's Skin said:

"racist"...not so sure.

derogatory.....most probably,  like the word "chav" that its commonly used with or insted of.

Thats all for a different thread.

but hey ho in this over PC world we live in nowadays perhaps the words should be changed to " scored 200 against the turnpike travellers"

;-)

Thanks RS.

It is used as a derogatory way to refer to people of a certain ethnicity. Of course it's racist.

disagree......turnpike travellers are not a race.. Just like chavs are not, or Cockneys are not, or Geordies, Scousers etc etc are not

Pikey to us 'old uns' is just a shortened version of the term 'turnpike' which is different to the Romani .

Perhaps its widespread use today is not understood and  misplaced by the younger generation, but West Ham support has long been linked with these type of people (turnpikes) ....hence them being referred as that. 

4 hours ago, Rhino's Skin said:

disagree......turnpike travellers are not a race.. Just like chavs are not, or Cockneys are not, or Geordies, Scousers etc etc are not

Pikey to us 'old uns' is just a shortened version of the term 'turnpike' which is different to the Romani .

Perhaps its widespread use today is not understood and  misplaced by the younger generation, but West Ham support has long been linked with these type of people (turnpikes) ....hence them being referred as that. 

Note I did not describe the term as referring to a race. In fact the whole use of the word race in this context is incorrect since there is only one human race. Humans can be split into different ethnicities and this is what I talked about. Note again however that I did not specify any particular origin since travellers can trace their routes back to a number of different ethnic groups. There is not doubt that the term in the song refers to travellers just as there is no doubt that those families recognise that word as both insulting and referring to their ethnicity.

http://www.srtrc.org/faqs#faq4466

In any case, people have been found guilty of racially aggravated offences for using the term in the song so, legally, as well as culturally, it is racist.

4 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Note I did not describe the term as referring to a race. In fact the whole use of the word race in this context is incorrect since there is only one human race. Humans can be split into different ethnicities and this is what I talked about. Note again however that I did not specify any particular origin since travellers can trace their routes back to a number of different ethnic groups. There is not doubt that the term in the song refers to travellers just as there is no doubt that those families recognise that word as both insulting and referring to their ethnicity.

http://www.srtrc.org/faqs#faq4466

In any case, people have been found guilty of racially aggravated offences for using the term in the song so, legally, as well as culturally, it is racist.

well in the context of using it to describe a turnpike it is definitely not racist. 

I will continue to call those of that ilk.....turnpikes or pikeys or scallies and if you want to call me a racist...then go ahead and while you are at it...report me to the authorities

3 minutes ago, Kieran. said:

Aren't pikey, chavs, "bindippers" classist terms at the very least? Maybe @Fulham Broadway can help me with this one

correct...the terms you have used above are used nowadays to refer to someone as lower class.

I was referring to the pikey origins of how I came to use it as an 'oldie' and how it was associated with West Ham as they had a reputation of having a large following in the past that were vagabonds, scallywags, chancers, etc etc.

Even the BBC let the term ride on Top Gear

Greavsie has got on his high horse about the word pikey and yet I dont see him complaining vigorously about being chavs or IMHO something more derogatory rent boys.

Maybe this should have a thread of its own but then again Frankie Lampard has played for both the pikeys and the chavs  ... ;-)

1 hour ago, Rhino's Skin said:

well in the context of using it to describe a turnpike it is definitely not racist. 

I will continue to call those of that ilk.....turnpikes or pikeys or scallies and if you want to call me a racist...then go ahead and while you are at it...report me to the authorities

I have been a fan of Washington's NFL team for many years. I used to use the team name but I don't any longer. It's not a matter of being pc, or of pandering to certain strands of opinion. It's simply that I learned the name is offensive to many people and so I don't want to use it.  In a similar way, what you are, and what you do, is for you to think about, not me.

6 hours ago, Kieran. said:

Aren't pikey, chavs, "bindippers" classist terms at the very least? Maybe @Fulham Broadway can help me with this one

True K and its like all those derogatory terms are regularly used in footballing terms, but you wouldn't normally use them in everyday life.

With this season Ozil has broken the record with the most number of chances created in a single season, with 146. It was previously held by Super Frank with 134 (during 2008-2009). Lampard holds another spot in the top 10 with the 2009--2010 season (114). Fabregas also features frequently in the top 10.

Source:

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2016/05/15/22749172/ozil-lampard-the-most-creative-premier-league-seasons/most-creative-seasons-frank-lampard-chelsea/14#photo

Lampard:A modest legend-Guus Hiddink

Guus Hiddink has revealed the squad received a boost a few weeks ago with the visit of a Chelsea hero in Frank Lampard.

The former Blues midfielder, now playing in the US with New York City, is our highest scorer of all time having hit the back of the net 211 times in 648 games for the club, and has been back at Cobham.

'In a recent period he was here when he had his injury,' explained Hiddink. 'Modestly, he asked if he can be treated here by our physios and I said of course. It was a good sign that he was asking me – he's a legend and I'm just here for a few months!

'He wanted to be here out of the hours that the other players are here, early morning or late afternoon, but I said: "No, you are one of this family”. He loved it, to come in the day, and he participated in a very modest, very good way in the team. If those players don't have the affection with the club then they don't come back even for treatment.'

Hiddink knows Lampard well, having managed the midfielder during his first spell as Chelsea manager in 2009, and believes that someone of his pedigree and experience visiting the training ground can only benefit the younger members of our squad.

chelseafc.com

cfc.JPG

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Not bad for ''the worst buy in the history of the MLS''

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12096/10562313/frank-lampard-scores-twice-in-new-york-city-victory

What do they say about Class, Form, Permanent, temporary ?

On 2 September 2016 at 6:18 PM, Fulham Broadway said:

Not bad for ''the worst buy in the history of the MLS''

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12096/10562313/frank-lampard-scores-twice-in-new-york-city-victory

What do they say about Class, Form, Permanent, temporary ?

I still love Frank - sure he made a mistake - but who hasn't - that boy played his socks off for us season in season out - we still haven't replaced him and likely never will - a true one in a lifetime player and thank fuck we had him :) 

53 minutes ago, Muzchap said:

I still love Frank - sure he made a mistake - but who hasn't - that boy played his socks off for us season in season out - we still haven't replaced him and likely never will - a true one in a lifetime player and thank fuck we had him :) 

Wonder if their fans are still boooooing him ? 

:clown:'s

• 2 months later...