Frank Lampard

DavidEU

Not many want that though. What the majority want is Frank to be given a new contract as he could still be a very useful squad player next year.

Right, but Chelsea may want Lampard as a squad player, while Lampard may have a different idea. So, say he's offered a 90K a week as a rotation player, and he counters with his current (key player wages of) +-250K, what are Chelsea to do?

Perhaps his agent has already hinted he won't accept a rotation/backup role for example. We just don't know.

His performance against City was a liability; Mickel and Lampard IMO were our worst players on the pitch. Although it's really difficult to pinpoint specific players when they certainly did not (and do not) get enough support from the AMs and the wingers. In the 4-2-3-1 you don't really play with only 2 men in the center of the pitch--I guess we do.

Was he ever a box to box midfielder?

I didn't watch Lampard in his younger days, since I found Chelsea uberly boring back in the day.

You mean the team when we had Gianfranco Zola behind Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink and Eidur Gudjohnsen? Yeah, we were really boring in those days... :rolleyes:

He wasn't good yesterday, that's an understatement. He was a passenger, a spectator — the game completely passed him by. The only few times he had done something noticable was when he took his few useless-long-range-shoots, a few long range passes and his missed penalty. That's not good enough. To put it in other words, he was totaly invisible.

The thing is that's it's not the first time that the game passes him by. Actually, that is more or less the case whenever we encounter a decent opposition.

And I'd like to point out something... We all know that he cannot "run" like some years ago, that's clear. It's the case for all the players aging. Therefore, we are expecting some other things from such players, no ? We expect them to compensate their lack of mobility (due to their age) by their experience that they can apply to the game. If I am not mistaken, that is the very reason for which some players, who are no longer at the top on a physical aspect, are still played by their coach — Am I right ? Actually, Lampard doesn't provide this. I'll take two examples to illustrate my point.

The first example is our game against Newcastle. It was a relatively important game for us. Unfortunatly, it didn't start too well for us ; we were losing 1-0 at halftime. Then, we managed to make a come-back and lead the game 1-2. At this moment of time — considering the global context in which the club is, and considering the physiognomy of the game — what were we expected to do ? To close the game, no ? At least it's what we should have done, into my eyes. We did the opposite, i.e. we were still playing as if we were chasing the score — especially Lampard. I mean, he was staying up front not far away from the box and was not tracking back — just as if we were in desperate need of a goal. That's where my discontent lies. That man has played umpteen very important games. Into my eyes, he should have known better than any body else that the game should have been slowed down. I expected him to take his responsibilities, to show leadership and slow down the game ; and I strongly believe that it's what he should have done.

The second example is the game against Man.City of yesterday. As I mentioned above, he was invisible during this game. True that's true that Man.City was out-playing us. Nonetheless, he failed to impose his presence, his stamp on the match. And finally, I do fault him for the penalty he missed. Yes, it was a well shot penalty. But not so well, actually. It was a typical Lampard's trademark penalty. Joe Hart and Lampard are playing together in the national team. They must have trained a lot together at shootout. Hence, Hart must have had a big idea of where the ball would go. That's what I fault Lampard for the miss. It was an important game ; it was an important time of the game ; it was one of the very few chances we have had to put the ball into their net. To my mind he should have done better.

Voilà voilà. That's all I had to say. He is no longer good enough — sad but true —, and yesterday he was out of depth.

Likdé you're post but with all this No? in it I saw Louis defines infront of me... no... uhh... uhmmmm...

hahahaha... just kidding...

I agree. City was better than us, so was Juve, so was Atletico, so was Man U, and so was Shakhtar.... However, keeping him on the team and moving forward will do us no good when he wants to keep starting games. People talk about Giggs and Paul Scholes, however, their squad players now and they accepted their roles. They understand the big picture.

I

I

Man U were better than us. U mad bro?

Man U were better than us. U mad bro?

?

Mad at what.... Man U played better than us, after they were winning 2-0, they completely sagged off the game and played conservative, while we went in full attack mode...

?

Mad at what.... Man U played better than us, after they were winning 2-0, they completely sagged off the game and played conservative, while we went in full attack mode...

huh?!?!?!? Their first goal was completely lucky they should have been 1-0 up not 2! and they would have lost 5-2 if Cuntiburg didn't give us the reds and the offside goal!