Frank Lampard

DavidEU

How do you want us to play then?

Do you think we should replace Mata and Oscar in the number 10 role with Lampar??? Or do you want us to change our whole formation to a 4-3-3 formation just to make it suit Lampard?

I want us to play a formation where square pegs aren't in round holes. Like I have said this isn't just about Frank, it's about playing a formation to suit the strengths of players. We went to Boro last week and played two players holding in Ramires and Ake, why? Against Boro.....I'm sorry that is stupid and I honestly believe our lack of ambition against teams this season has been worrying, massively.

How do you want us to play then?

Do you think we should replace Mata and Oscar in the number 10 role with Lampar??? Or do you want us to change our whole formation to a 4-3-3 formation just to make it suit Lampard?

If that's what it takes then yes. Why not give Lampard even more power and ask for his approval before appointing managers? That way you know from the start if he will get the hump and contribute to more manager sackings.

In all seriousness, I'm fully behind the boards decision on this matter. Legend or not, no player is bigger than the club.

First of all I wouldn't have rid of him, simple as that. I'd rather see Ramires left out as he is a terribly limited footballer and whilst we are onto limited footballers then Mikel isn't too far away from that either. Mikel has the turning circle of a truck, people say he does the basics right....I should think so, but terribly limited IMO.

I'd keep Frank and replace Ramires if anything, seriously lacks in so many departments it's worrying.

I rather keep Rambo all day, any day moving forward (not saying I want him in my starting 11 though)...

He lacks in many departments, but Ramires is fast, unlimited stamina and probably has the best one on one striking on the team.

He gets in tackles (probably should have gotten more yellows) and he tracks well...

I also feel we always find it difficult to move away from one formation. It's constantly sticking with it and the same players, variation is a rarity. When Frank has played he has been shackled into this new so called 'Pivot' roll....Lampard should further up the field where he then becomes effective, not shackled because the formation says so.

Play to players strengths but do not shackle them for formation sake.

Doesn't matter what formation Lampard plays. He bombs forward most of the time.

I rather keep Rambo all day, any day moving forward (not saying I want him in my starting 11 though)...

He lacks in many departments, but Ramires is fast, unlimited stamina and probably has the best one on one striking on the team.

He gets in tackles (probably should have gotten more yellows) and he tracks well...

Doesn't matter what formation Lampard plays. He bombs forward most of the time.

As a proper box to box midfielder should. He is not meant for the double Pivot and never was.

I also feel we always find it difficult to move away from one formation. It's constantly sticking with it and the same players, variation is a rarity. When Frank has played he has been shackled into this new so called 'Pivot' roll....Lampard should further up the field where he then becomes effective, not shackled because the formation says so.

Play to players strengths but do not shackle them for formation sake.

Good post, the formation or should I say the 'rigid' formation is something that has got my goat for too long, I keep saying we don't need to play a holding midfielder in the majority of our games, especially at home because sides mainly come to defend & 'park the bus' so why the hell do we need 5 at the back when most of the time those players aren't marking anyone? This brings in your point about shackling Frank & it was evident Saturday, his game is so much better suited to an attacking role - doing what he does best, I believe if he had those chances that Oscar had then we would not of been biting our nails at the end cus he wud of taken at least 1 & more than likely all 3.

As for Frank well my view is if he is not producing & his performances are not up to the required standards then I would agree with the clubs stance in respect in letting him go, however he is still scoring - he won us the Everton game on his own, his fitness levels show no sign of ageing, we just need to use him like Fergie does with Giggs & give him a more offensive role when he plays. I suppose proof will be in the pudding next season if he goes to another Prem club......

As for a replacement, its difficult to replace a legend & a player of Frank's ability - such an uncanny knack of being in the right place at the right time, however Kevin de Bruyen looks the player to me, scoring goals from midfield, has 2 good feet, quick & has energy. He is performing consistently in a top league too so you have to take notice of it, keeping Frank for his experience alone can aid young players like this & provide them with a steady progression.

People do realise that most of those that want Lampard to stay don't want exactly want or expect him to start or play in every game right? If Lampard is going to sign, I would still want us to sign a midfielder in the Modric ilk, especially if we are continuing with the pivot. Lampard needs to stay around to help the club transition into the next level, he'd be an excellent squad player.

People do realise that most of those that want Lampard to stay don't want exactly want or expect him to start or play in every game right? If Lampard is going to sign, I would still want us to sign a midfielder in the Modric ilk, especially if we are continuing with the pivot. Lampard needs to stay around to help the club transition into the next level, he'd be an excellent squad player.

Exactly. I wouldn't expect him to start every game, but we must remember he is still a goal threat whether starting (In the right position) or from the bench. Frank needs to be in and around this club he's a role model and I am sure he would give brilliant guidance to the young lads.

The big picture is, sign him up, he won us the Everton game and scores crucial goals. What's not to get?

Exactly. I wouldn't expect him to start every game, but we must remember he is still a goal threat whether starting (In the right position) or from the bench. Frank needs to be in and around this club he's a role model and I am sure he would give brilliant guidance to the young lads.

The big picture is, sign him up, he won us the Everton game and scores crucial goals. What's not to get?

How much should the club commit to a bench player per year? £5 million? That's in addition to the £20 million (plus wages) we're going probably end up spending on his replacement.

Why does the club need him around if we're transitioning to the 'next level'? If we're going to stick with the 4231 (which Mourinho played last night) then is Lampard and effective playmaker? I don't think he is. I don't think he's the type of passer we need in that position - yes he can spray the ball around but I don't think that's what you want in that position.

If we're talking about transition, then why don't we look at the players we already have like De Bruyne, Chalobah, Ake, Piazon and maybe even Oscar? When you start a new job, do you want the old guy sticking around?

I think he's a good role model, but we seem to have players with the right attitude coming through like Mata and Lukaku. Yes the Everton game was great but that was almost 20 games ago - the game after that was a 1-0 defeat to QPR which Frank started in. Has there been a game since where he's given a great performance? Stoke away maybe but they were woeful in midfield.

I'd love him to stick around for years but the question of what best serves the club needs to be asked. And the same will go for JT next year.

How much should the club commit to a bench player per year? £5 million? That's in addition to the £20 million (plus wages) we're going probably end up spending on his replacement.

Christ, I don't hold the purse strings for CFC, nor do I have any idea what should be committed too in terms of price. You are talking as if we are discussing Florent Malouda here, this is Frank Lampard and putting his legend status aside the bloke still offers massive amounts on the field.

We have made enough purchases of late that can be molded into his replacement ala Oscar and Kevin De Bruyne. But that doesn't mean he should be discarded as of now, the discarding should come to dead wood like Benayoun and washed up people like Mr Torres.

Why does the club need him around if we're transitioning to the 'next level'? If we're going to stick with the 4231 (which Mourinho played last night) then is Lampard and effective playmaker? I don't think he is. I don't think he's the type of passer we need in that position - yes he can spray the ball around but I don't think that's what you want in that position. If we're talking about transition, then why don't we look at the players we already have like De Bruyne, Chalobah, Ake, Piazon and maybe even Oscar? When you start a new job, do you want the old guy sticking around? I think he's a good role model, but we seem to have players with the right attitude coming through like Mata and Lukaku. Yes the Everton game was great but that was almost 20 games ago - the game after that was a 1-0 defeat to QPR which Frank started in. Has there been a game since where he's given a great performance? Stoke away maybe but they were woeful in midfield. I'd love him to stick around for years but the question of what best serves the club needs to be asked. And the same will go for JT next year.

Because in a transition, you don't throw away your core from the get go. The best way to allow a transition to become successful is to slowly integrate new blood into the team - you don't just get rid of the core of the club like that. Lampard has proved this season in games like against the Everton game you mentioned where he did single handily win us the game that he can still add value to the squad.

Chalobah, Ake, Piazon shouldn't even be mentioned as both you and I know that they are nowhere near ready to be thrown into the team. They aren't even ready to be effective squad players IMO - and that's where Lampard and his experience comes in the game. My point is that there is no harm in signing Lampard on for another year as he is easily good enough to be great squad player for us - essentially playing the role that Giggs does for Manchester United. That's why most people want Lampard to stay on;

I would honestly rather us hang on to Lampard who is decent in the pivot than go out there and buy a second rate player to replace his likely role in the squad next season, simply because Lampard is still a very decent player, has bags of experience, still grabs vital goals and most important of all is a fantastic role model to the younger ones coming through.

I honestly don't think we have enough experience in the squad without the likes of JT, Lampard, Terry and Cole. I want these four to stay for just a few more season to make the transition of a new CFC smoother. That is my main gripe with Lampard leaving.

At least having the four of Lampard, JT, Terry and Cole until next season is essential IMO.

At this very moment, these four are the soul of our club.

Christ, I don't hold the purse strings for CFC, nor do I have any idea what should be committed too in terms of price. You are talking as if we are discussing Florent Malouda here, this is Frank Lampard and putting his legend status aside the bloke still offers massive amounts on the field.

We have made enough purchases of late that can be molded into his replacement ala Oscar and Kevin De Bruyne. But that doesn't mean he should be discarded as of now, the discarding should come to dead wood like Benayoun and washed up people like Mr Torres.

You'll not get an argument from me regarding Benayoun, Torres and Malouda but surely if you're going to suggest keeping someone around you have to look at the implications of that. You say he offers massive amounts on the field - does he do that consistently enough? I'm not sure. Yes he was great against Everton, but our midfield was god-awful for the first 30 minutes and we were lucky to still be in it. The next game was QPR at home - was he great in that?

Everyone wants Frank to stay - but is it best for the club going forward? I'm still not sure.

You'll not get an argument from me regarding Benayoun, Torres and Malouda but surely if you're going to suggest keeping someone around you have to look at the implications of that. You say he offers massive amounts on the field - does he do that consistently enough? I'm not sure. Yes he was great against Everton, but our midfield was god-awful for the first 30 minutes and we were lucky to still be in it. The next game was QPR at home - was he great in that?

Everyone wants Frank to stay - but is it best for the club going forward? I'm still not sure.

Getting rid of wage huggers and people who offer nothing like the three we have spoken about goes along way towards making Lampard an offer of an extended contract. These players are eating away at our constantly huge wage bill, yet I know for a fact Frank offers more than those mentioned and can still be a threat from the bench if new faces are brought in.

You are singling out certain performances from Frank without looking at the big picture. Granted he's had poor games, Christ haven't most of them this season.....But as a package his pros far out way his cons and we should at least look at the example of United by giving players who can still do it what they deserve.

Because in a transition, you don't throw away your core from the get go. The best way to allow a transition to become successful is to slowly integrate new blood into the team - you don't just get rid of the core of the club like that. Lampard has proved this season in games like against the Everton game you mentioned where he did single handily win us the game that he can still add value to the squad.

That game was almost 20 fixtures ago - since then has he been someone you can look to build around? Is he actually part of the core of our team now? Most fans recognise that the midfield is our biggest weakness, yet he's part of that isn't he? Isn't it our core which is weak? Isn't that what we need to replace because we have all the shiny accouterments surrounding the core but not the core itself.

Chalobah, Ake, Piazon shouldn't even be mentioned as both you and I know that they are nowhere near ready to be thrown into the team. They aren't even ready to be effective squad players IMO - and that's where Lampard and his experience comes in the game. My point is that there is no harm in signing Lampard on for another year as he is easily good enough to be great squad player for us - essentially playing the role that Giggs does for Manchester United. That's why most people want Lampard to stay on;

Don't tell me what I do and don't know, especially if you're going to be wrong about it. I think Chalobah is ready, I've long said it. People keep wanting to take things slowly....because that's worked so fucking well with all the other youngsters we've had come through. Ake might still need more time but he stepped up against Boro - why not give him another shot?

And Piazon is getting starts for a team who would probably give us a run for our money on current form. I've never thought he was as good as the hype suggested, but he's put in a couple of good shifts and surprised me. Why not give him a shot?

As for Lampard's experience - where was that against QPR? Before that game people were saying that he needed to be kept around to tell the young players and the foreign players what certain games meant to this club and it's fans.

Google fucking Maps would've done a better job of telling these players what this fixture meant to the club because it was the most pathetic performance I've seen in years.

I would honestly rather us hang on to Lampard who is decent in the pivot than go out there and buy a second rate player to replace his likely role in the squad next season, simply because Lampard is still a very decent player, has bags of experience, still grabs vital goals and most important of all is a fantastic role model to the younger ones coming through.

'Decent in the pivot'. That's the new standard for our midfield is it? Decent.

That's what earns you £80k-£100k p/w at Chelsea Football Club in 2013?

I won't disagree that he's a good role model, but so is Mata. So is Lukaku. So is Cech. So is Cole. You're at Chelsea - if you can't work out on your own that you need to work harder than the rest then fuck off.

I do sometimes wonder how much people believe this stuff to be true, and how much is down to Football Manager. We need to keep Lampard around so we can right-click on his name and make him mentor John Swift.

Isn't the flipside of this that we have a person who costs £5 million p/a in the same position as 3-4 youngsters who also play that position for the same amount? That's one more high-priced 35 year old player in front of them.

I honestly don't think we have enough experience in the squad without the likes of JT, Lampard, Terry and Cole. I want these four to stay for just a few more season to make the transition of a new CFC smoother. That is my main gripe with Lampard leaving.

Because god knows you can't win anything with kids (and even if Lamps left we'd still have plenty of experience in Cole, Cech, Mikel, JT, Ivanovic, Cahill, Ba and even Torres).

At least having the four of Lampard, JT, Terry and Cole until next season is essential IMO.

At this very moment, these four are the soul of our club.

No.

No they're not. The supporters are.

These are very good players without doubt but when they're dead and buried the club will still be here. It was here before any of them arrived too.

At some point you have to move on from them and now is a good time to start doing that.

Getting rid of wage huggers and people who offer nothing like the three we have spoken about goes along way towards making Lampard an offer of an extended contract. These players are eating away at our constantly huge wage bill, yet I know for a fact Frank offers more than those mentioned and can still be a threat from the bench if new faces are brought in.

You are singling out certain performances from Frank without looking at the big picture. Granted he's had poor games, Christ haven't most of them this season.....But as a package his pros far out way his cons and we should at least look at the example of United by giving players who can still do it what they deserve.

You say I'm singling out certain examples, but you're doing the exact same thing when talking about United. They've been happy to let players (legends even) leave when they felt they needed to move on. Scholes and Giggs are the exception, not the rule.

Who was the famous quote (which I'm paraphrasing) 'you'll never win anything with kids' said about? They let some big players go in the summer before that quote was uttered because they looked at what they had and put their faith in it. We're afraid to do that despite us having as fine a crop of young talent that I can remember including one young lad who I truly believe can be Chelsea and England captain.

But he's not won any Champions Leagues yet so he can fuck off can't he.

This, i don't get why some people are so against lampard having a squad player role. If lampard doesn't wan't that then he can decide to turn down an offer. But some people really want him gone for some reason. Lampard still has a big role, and there is few i would rather see us put on with 15 mins left and we are in need of a goal.

I don't think anyone wants our best pivot next season to be lampard mikel or whatever, and we all know we need strengthening in there. I hope we get KDB in there. There are much bigger priorities to get rid of people. And one of our greatest players ever is not one of them...

queue response of, "him being a club legend shouldn't matter".