Frank Lampard

DavidEU

I am slowly starting to accept the fact he will be gone in the summer. I just hope he will hit the record before that so he will be able to leave on a high note, having won nearly every trophy there is to win and becoming the club's all time top scorer in the process. What has he got left to prove once he's broken the record? This season he's been chasing it and as a result he's once again scored a bucketload of goals but would the hunger still be there next year if he stayed?

It's a great thing watching Frank Lampard score one of his trademark goals but he isn't suited to playing in a midfield of two, at least not anymore, and I don't think we should be adjusting the tactics to better suit a 35-year-old. If he really is leaving, I will forever miss him but to be entirely honest I think someone like KdB could offer the team a bit more and more likely than not the club will also be in the market for at least one new midfielder who too would be ahead of Lamps in the pecking order. Call me cynical but I kind of understand the club's decision of not wanting to keep a player on such high wages who's not that influential anymore. Also, I believe this has got something to do with the fact that with Lampard leaving the next manager would then be able to start with a clean slate and it'd be a clear message to the players that the days of player power are over at Chelsea and that no one is indispensable.

Letting go of club legends is not unheard of, most clubs do it when it's time to move on but none of them get the stick Chelsea are getting for this now. Sure, I agree that the club should be handling this situation with a lot more class but you can't always get what you want, especially with non-football people in charge of the club. Nonetheless, I would be really happy if he got the extension and stayed with slightly smaller wages and a smaller squad role but clearly I'm not as much against him moving on as some people.

Do people not watch games? All Frank does is score? What the hell? Lets completely forget the immense through balls he's continuously been producing. He's not a striker in midfield at all, it's just his natural game. If you've watched Chelsea over the last decade you'd know. He still contributes well defensively and does a decent job at distributing the ball. His goals are important and they always change games. "Just goals". Isn't that what football is about in the end? Out scoring your opposition?

It's all very good scoring goals but if the midfield isn't controlling the tempo and protecting the defence then it doesn't matter if he scores a goal every game - we're going to concede goals.

This is the problem for Lamps. If we still played like we did a few years ago then he'd still have a place in the team. But even his most ardent supporters will probably admit that we need to but someone to play in the position he currently occupies.

actually Frank does not shoot that often, his conversion ratio is actually one of the best in the game. His passing might have declined a bit, but that is also due to his role in the pivot so he has to increase the range of his long passes. I reckon most of his partial "decline" is a result of this dreadful 4-2-3-1. IMO this formation is a stark misunderstanding. It worked for DiMatteo, but we played it as counterattacking formation with Kalou and Ramireswho are rather wingers than mata and oscar vs liverpool, tottenham, barca,bayern etc hence we had a tough time under RDM when we had to make the game on our own vs all the smaller teams and he himself altered the tactics in 2012/13 with mikel+ramires in the pivot and a high line, still the lack of adequat players hampered its success. Even when Lampard leaves a 4-3-3 is still the better formation with the players we got, esp with de Bruyne coming back.

Lamps lack of assists is not only due to his more defensive role but the lack of a striker, when on at the same time as demba ba he usually has fed him with great balls like he did with Drogba. The 3 CAMs are mainly responsible for the creativity, so look at other CMs playing in the pivot, actually we should be happy with Lamps output, cos he is way more productive than the likes of Schweinsteiger, Modric, Xabi Alonso, who play in the exact same position but have waaaay less scorer points. Lamps compensate the lack of scoring form the striker, so he is more of a midfielder+a striker.

actually Frank does not shoot that often, his conversion ratio is actually one of the best in the game. His passing might have declined a bit, but that is also due to his role in the pivot so he has to increase the range of his long passes. I reckon most of his partial "decline" is a result of this dreadful 4-2-3-1. IMO this formation is a stark misunderstanding. It worked for DiMatteo, but we played it as counterattacking formation with Kalou and Ramireswho are rather wingers than mata and oscar vs liverpool, tottenham, barca,bayern etc hence we had a tough time under RDM when we had to make the game on our own vs all the smaller teams and he himself altered the tactics in 2012/13 with mikel+ramires in the pivot and a high line, still the lack of adequat players hampered its success. Even when Lampard leaves a 4-3-3 is still the better formation with the players we got, esp with de Bruyne coming back.

Lamps lack of assists is not only due to his more defensive role but the lack of a striker, when on at the same time as demba ba he usually has fed him with great balls like he did with Drogba. The 3 CAMs are mainly responsible for the creativity, so look at other CMs playing in the pivot, actually we should be happy with Lamps output, cos he is way more productive than the likes of Schweinsteiger, Modric, Xabi Alonso, who play in the exact same position but have waaaay less scorer points. Lamps compensate the lack of scoring form the striker, so he is more of a midfielder+a striker.

Agree fucking sick of 4-2-3-1 it's fucking shit, sick of the obsession with it...

It's not FM and it's not a wonder tactic - too narrow and we look shit. The DITHER zone where nobody moves into space and we play risky balls and get undone on the counter...

Whatever is said about Lamps - we're gonna miss his goals next season ;)

We miss Didier so much this season and I'm afraid the same will happen with Lamps, if not even more.

Not if we sign someone who fits that position or (god forbid) give a player we already own a chance.

Here's the funny thing about the Brentford game - he actually missed a couple of chances before his goal. The deadlock was broken not by Lampard, but by Juan Mata and it wasn't the first time this season that he's done that. Arsenal at home, Norwich away, Leeds away, West Ham away, etc. all suggest that maybe we've got a guy who can get those important goals for us.

The formation is only as good as the people playing in it and unfortunately, that midfield twosome has not been good enough in too many games.

There is nothing wrong with the 4-2-3-1, most top teams are using it and to good effect too. We just don't have the right players to utilize that formation properly. Maybe 4-3-3 could suit Lamps, maybe Ramires and De Bruyne better but where would that leave the likes of Mata and Oscar, who are thriving with playing just behind the striker? If only we had a player like the ones you mentioned at the end of your post (Schweini, Modric, Alonso) sitting deep next to Mikel and supplying the three creative AM's / wingers with their excellent passing, I'm very confident we would be challenging for the title. A deep-lying playmaker may not get many goals or assists but anyone who understands football would prefer those over the 34-year-old Lampard in a two-man midfield. It's not even their job to get 'scorer points', as you put it, it's their responsibility to keep possession of the ball and create more space for everyone else to thrive in. It's no surprise that our strikers are struggling, no matter who plays there, because there is no creative force in midfield and the team is nowhere near balanced enough.

Guys a living Legend simple as that and i would love him to be at the club for the next 3+ years i really would i think he has more to offer than players like JT if im honest, he is the sort of player the club needs for an image and leader on the pitch. He has given so much for this club already i think they should give the guy respect and sign him up ffs

SUPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER SUPER FRANK, SUPER SUPER FRANK SUPER SUPER FRANK SUPER FRANKIE LAMPARD

His goals are important and they always change games.

That's quite a generalization. For example his last goal was to make it 3-0, it didn't change the game. You'd be better off using the word "often" instead of "always".

That's quite a generalization. For example his last goal was to make it 3-0, it didn't change the game. You'd be better off using the word "often" instead of "always".

But in general, Franks goals have been important.

In more recent examples, take the equaliser against Newcastle or the 3rd goal against Wigan after it was getting very nervy for us.

Frank's goals have more often than not been important for us, there's no denying that.