Non-Chelsea Transfer Pub

Hamilton

Luka Modric extract: 'Meeting Roman Abramovich on his yacht was exciting'

The Croatian recounts the secret discussion he had with Chelsea’s owner and which led to him handing in a transfer request at Spurs

Luka Modric spent four seasons at Spurs prior to joining Real Madrid, where he won the Champions League and, alongside his exploits with Croatia’s national team, established himself as one of the finest midfielders in the world

Luka Modric spent four seasons at Spurs prior to joining Real Madrid, where he won the Champions League and, alongside his exploits with Croatia’s national team, established himself as one of the finest midfielders in the world.

With the 2010-11 Premier League season over, I was ready for my summer vacation. But it didn’t last long, as my agents – Vlado Lemić and Davor Ćurković – passed on Chelsea’s wish to sign me. Before transferring to Tottenham, it had seemed I would move to Stamford Bridge. This new contact only added to the impression that Chelsea thought highly of me.

I was open to the idea of moving, but then things happened at lightning speed. First, Vanja and I took a private jet from Zadar to Cannes, where my management team were waiting. Then, a van with tinted-glass windows took us to Nice, some 30km away. There we were picked up by Roman Abramovich’s security, who put us on a speedboat and took us to the Chelsea owner’s yacht.

It was all very exciting. Twenty or so people, who seemed part of the security detail, met us at the boat. It was quick and well organised; just as we made ourselves comfortable on one of the luxury decks, Abramovich showed up. He was accompanied by his wife Dasha and their son. I was fascinated by the discreet disappearance of all the security people just as he arrived. It was obvious they were well trained – their timing was perfect.

I had met Abramovich only once before. I was watching Chelsea play against Atlético Madrid at Stamford Bridge and was seated close to his box. This is where we met and exchanged a couple of words. During our meeting on the Côte d’Azur, he left an impression of a relaxed, somewhat mysterious person. He wasn’t beating around the bush and said: “We know you are a quality player. I’d like you to sign for Chelsea.”

I had come to his yacht to talk, so it was evident I wished the same. I had three successful seasons at Tottenham behind me. The club was now near the top of the Premier League, I had finally felt the pleasure of playing in the Champions League, and all the analysis showed I was one of the key players in the team’s rise. My feeling was that it was time for a move – I wanted to fight for trophies and win titles, and I felt this wouldn’t happen if I stayed at Tottenham. I wanted to move to a more ambitious club.

“Do you think Tottenham will resist your transfer? Are they going to put up a fight?” Abramovich asked. “I think the negotiations are going to be tough,” I replied, because I knew the clubs were not on good terms.

We finished our drinks and after 20 minutes or so, Abramovich and his wife discreetly retreated to their quarters. As he said goodbye, he suggested we relax and have a swim, but we thanked him and left. Within 90 minutes, we were back on the coast of Nice. We walked around the town a bit and then took a plane back to Zagreb. Both Vanja and I were impressed by the meeting, but deep inside I knew Tottenham’s chairman Daniel Levy wouldn’t want to hear about it.

Before pre-season, English reporters called me and asked if it was true that I wanted to leave. I was honest, and probably naive, when I said I thought it was time for a step forward in my career. That created a lot of fuss, which didn’t quieten down until the end of the transfer window. Levy made a public statement saying that there was no chance of letting me leave and that I had a firm contract.

A Chelsea fan holds a shirt with Luka Modric’s name on the back during the summer of 2011, when the player was pushing for a move to Stamford Bridge  A Chelsea fan holds a shirt with Luka Modric’s name on the back during the summer of 2011, when the player was pushing for a move to Stamford Bridge. Photograph: Felix Dlangamandla/Action Images

I arrived in London before pre-season training and went to talk to the chairman. There were no harsh words or insults as the media said, but the conversation was tense. He reprimanded me for publicly announcing I wanted to leave and repeated that Tottenham had no intention of selling at any price. A stressful period followed. The media analysed my status daily; Tottenham fans, understandably, resented that I wanted to leave. On the other hand, Harry Redknapp showed understanding for my situation in his public appearances.

Redknapp was an experienced manager and he had seen it all, so he was aware of the opportunities open at a more ambitious club. He also knew he needed me, and, like any manager, he wanted a strong team. He did everything he could to please me and make me stay. During our pre-season tour in South Africa, he even made me captain. But my head just wasn’t there, so I handed in an official transfer request.

Chelsea kept coming back with improved offers after Levy’s every rejection. All of this aggravated me. We played a home game against Manchester City, and Redknapp asked me to play. I told him I wasn’t focused and that I would rather not play. Redknapp insisted and, as he had always treated me well, I agreed. We lost 5-1 and I was replaced 60 minutes. It was one of my worst performances.

Three days after the transfer window closed and, while I was with the Croatia national team, I realised my move wouldn’t happen. I returned to London with a clear idea: forget what had happened and get down to work.

Redknapp had an even better idea. He played me in the very next game, and by the end of the 2011-12 season, I had played 90 minutes in all the matches, except against West Bromwich Albion when I came down with a virus. I had a great season. Unfortunately, a new campaign in the elite competition was taken from us because Chelsea, who ended sixth, won the Champions League. As defending champions, they qualified directly for the next season’s group stage, while Tottenham competed in the Europa League.

I had a couple of meetings with Levy during that season. In January, he even came to my home and tried to talk me into extending my contract with Tottenham. It would’ve been my second extension. Among other things, Levy then told me he’d let me leave for an offer from a big club such as Real Madrid. I told him I wouldn’t sign anything. My main focus was to play well for Tottenham and to prepare for Euro 2012.

Despite all the turbulence, I always had a good relationship with Levy. He was the one who brought me to Tottenham – for a record fee in the club’s history. That only showed how highly he thought of me. However, I resented him because on a couple of occasions he had promised to let me move to a bigger club and then broke his promise. For me, one’s promise and one’s word are more important than anything.

I had proven myself as a player. I didn’t know where I would go from Tottenham. I didn’t know if and when Levy would agree to sell me. But I was convinced it was time to move on, to a new and bigger challenge. After four wonderful years, during which we felt at home in England, Vanja and I knew this life had come to an end.

Extracted from Luka Modrić’s official autobiography Luka Modrić: My Autobiography which publishes on 20 August in hardback, £18.99. Available to pre-order now.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/aug/18/luka-modric-roman-abramovich-brought-me-onto-his-yacht-and-said-sign-for-chelsea

The one that got away. Men if only Levy would have sold to us....

23 hours ago, blu35_army said:

lsvj9jk2cjh51.jpg

the fit umtiti is better than our back 4,,would take him over dunk for £25m. shame coutinho if he end up at arsenal,,for me he deserve one more chances to be first team at united/city (silva replacement)...

A nearing 32yo (end of winter) Jordi Alba will never sell for €40m. They are delusional. 

Only player on there who interests me is Neto, as a backup GK, and Dembele IF he was £35m or less.

2 hours ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Arsenal set to complete the signing of Gabriel. :(

Bellerin---Saliba---Gabriel---Tierney

Those two CBs have less than 100 top flight games between them. It's very rare for a top 4 and above challenging team to be rocking with one inexperienced CB, two is unheard off.

3 hours ago, Fernando said:

Luka Modric extract: 'Meeting Roman Abramovich on his yacht was exciting'

The Croatian recounts the secret discussion he had with Chelsea’s owner and which led to him handing in a transfer request at Spurs

Luka Modric spent four seasons at Spurs prior to joining Real Madrid, where he won the Champions League and, alongside his exploits with Croatia’s national team, established himself as one of the finest midfielders in the world

Luka Modric spent four seasons at Spurs prior to joining Real Madrid, where he won the Champions League and, alongside his exploits with Croatia’s national team, established himself as one of the finest midfielders in the world.

With the 2010-11 Premier League season over, I was ready for my summer vacation. But it didn’t last long, as my agents – Vlado Lemić and Davor Ćurković – passed on Chelsea’s wish to sign me. Before transferring to Tottenham, it had seemed I would move to Stamford Bridge. This new contact only added to the impression that Chelsea thought highly of me.

I was open to the idea of moving, but then things happened at lightning speed. First, Vanja and I took a private jet from Zadar to Cannes, where my management team were waiting. Then, a van with tinted-glass windows took us to Nice, some 30km away. There we were picked up by Roman Abramovich’s security, who put us on a speedboat and took us to the Chelsea owner’s yacht.

It was all very exciting. Twenty or so people, who seemed part of the security detail, met us at the boat. It was quick and well organised; just as we made ourselves comfortable on one of the luxury decks, Abramovich showed up. He was accompanied by his wife Dasha and their son. I was fascinated by the discreet disappearance of all the security people just as he arrived. It was obvious they were well trained – their timing was perfect.

I had met Abramovich only once before. I was watching Chelsea play against Atlético Madrid at Stamford Bridge and was seated close to his box. This is where we met and exchanged a couple of words. During our meeting on the Côte d’Azur, he left an impression of a relaxed, somewhat mysterious person. He wasn’t beating around the bush and said: “We know you are a quality player. I’d like you to sign for Chelsea.”

I had come to his yacht to talk, so it was evident I wished the same. I had three successful seasons at Tottenham behind me. The club was now near the top of the Premier League, I had finally felt the pleasure of playing in the Champions League, and all the analysis showed I was one of the key players in the team’s rise. My feeling was that it was time for a move – I wanted to fight for trophies and win titles, and I felt this wouldn’t happen if I stayed at Tottenham. I wanted to move to a more ambitious club.

“Do you think Tottenham will resist your transfer? Are they going to put up a fight?” Abramovich asked. “I think the negotiations are going to be tough,” I replied, because I knew the clubs were not on good terms.

We finished our drinks and after 20 minutes or so, Abramovich and his wife discreetly retreated to their quarters. As he said goodbye, he suggested we relax and have a swim, but we thanked him and left. Within 90 minutes, we were back on the coast of Nice. We walked around the town a bit and then took a plane back to Zagreb. Both Vanja and I were impressed by the meeting, but deep inside I knew Tottenham’s chairman Daniel Levy wouldn’t want to hear about it.

Before pre-season, English reporters called me and asked if it was true that I wanted to leave. I was honest, and probably naive, when I said I thought it was time for a step forward in my career. That created a lot of fuss, which didn’t quieten down until the end of the transfer window. Levy made a public statement saying that there was no chance of letting me leave and that I had a firm contract.

A Chelsea fan holds a shirt with Luka Modric’s name on the back during the summer of 2011, when the player was pushing for a move to Stamford Bridge  A Chelsea fan holds a shirt with Luka Modric’s name on the back during the summer of 2011, when the player was pushing for a move to Stamford Bridge. Photograph: Felix Dlangamandla/Action Images

I arrived in London before pre-season training and went to talk to the chairman. There were no harsh words or insults as the media said, but the conversation was tense. He reprimanded me for publicly announcing I wanted to leave and repeated that Tottenham had no intention of selling at any price. A stressful period followed. The media analysed my status daily; Tottenham fans, understandably, resented that I wanted to leave. On the other hand, Harry Redknapp showed understanding for my situation in his public appearances.

Redknapp was an experienced manager and he had seen it all, so he was aware of the opportunities open at a more ambitious club. He also knew he needed me, and, like any manager, he wanted a strong team. He did everything he could to please me and make me stay. During our pre-season tour in South Africa, he even made me captain. But my head just wasn’t there, so I handed in an official transfer request.

Chelsea kept coming back with improved offers after Levy’s every rejection. All of this aggravated me. We played a home game against Manchester City, and Redknapp asked me to play. I told him I wasn’t focused and that I would rather not play. Redknapp insisted and, as he had always treated me well, I agreed. We lost 5-1 and I was replaced 60 minutes. It was one of my worst performances.

Three days after the transfer window closed and, while I was with the Croatia national team, I realised my move wouldn’t happen. I returned to London with a clear idea: forget what had happened and get down to work.

Redknapp had an even better idea. He played me in the very next game, and by the end of the 2011-12 season, I had played 90 minutes in all the matches, except against West Bromwich Albion when I came down with a virus. I had a great season. Unfortunately, a new campaign in the elite competition was taken from us because Chelsea, who ended sixth, won the Champions League. As defending champions, they qualified directly for the next season’s group stage, while Tottenham competed in the Europa League.

I had a couple of meetings with Levy during that season. In January, he even came to my home and tried to talk me into extending my contract with Tottenham. It would’ve been my second extension. Among other things, Levy then told me he’d let me leave for an offer from a big club such as Real Madrid. I told him I wouldn’t sign anything. My main focus was to play well for Tottenham and to prepare for Euro 2012.

Despite all the turbulence, I always had a good relationship with Levy. He was the one who brought me to Tottenham – for a record fee in the club’s history. That only showed how highly he thought of me. However, I resented him because on a couple of occasions he had promised to let me move to a bigger club and then broke his promise. For me, one’s promise and one’s word are more important than anything.

I had proven myself as a player. I didn’t know where I would go from Tottenham. I didn’t know if and when Levy would agree to sell me. But I was convinced it was time to move on, to a new and bigger challenge. After four wonderful years, during which we felt at home in England, Vanja and I knew this life had come to an end.

Extracted from Luka Modrić’s official autobiography Luka Modrić: My Autobiography which publishes on 20 August in hardback, £18.99. Available to pre-order now.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/aug/18/luka-modric-roman-abramovich-brought-me-onto-his-yacht-and-said-sign-for-chelsea

The one that got away. Men if only Levy would have sold to us....

Fuck Levy and Spurs, altough i would have loved to have Modric at Chelsea, it was not meant to be, but we got Mata instead and we all know what happened later in the season :wub:, the fact that we won the Champions League that year and sent Spurs out of CL for next season was karma at its finest for that bald cunt.

3 hours ago, Johnnyeye said:

Fuck Levy and Spurs, altough i would have loved to have Modric at Chelsea, it was not meant to be, but we got Mata instead and we all know what happened later in the season :wub:, the fact that we won the Champions League that year and sent Spurs out of CL for next season was karma at its finest for that bald cunt.

Mata wasn't the Modric alternative Meireles was.

Modric only has himself to blame that he didn't get the move, signing a 6 year extension (the previous summer) with no watertight clause was all levels of stupid.