Lampard Shutting the media up at Mestalla?

CHOULO19

The past couple of weeks the media frenzy over Lampard was just ridiculous imo. He's 33yo it's only normal that he gets rested more often. And though his performances so far have not been up to his usual standards, the media insist on portraying him as a player who's not good enough to play in the EPL; And what's even more frustrating is that opinion has been echoed by some chelsea fans.

But yesterday our legend had the best way to silence haters. He scored, made 2 great passes that should've been assists, and was probably our MOTM.

I think he is a long way from being over at chelsea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jgKIQCEjI&feature=feedu

Eveyone: Agree? Disagree?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been pretty pony so far to be honest, but the meeja would have hime dead and buried

He needs to be used in the same way SAF has used Giggs and Scholes. I don't think being subbed or being an unused sub has done him any harm whatsoever. Quite the reverse

MOM ? possibly -Cech was outstanding as well

To be honest, he was very poor in the first half. Better in the second half but still a goal and a lofted ball upto ramires doesnt make him our best playr last night! We have to move on ffs and its time we let meireles or josh settle in the team instead of bowing to media pressure...

To be honest, he was very poor in the first half. Better in the second half but still a goal and a lofted ball upto ramires doesnt make him our best playr last night! We have to move on ffs and its time we let meireles or josh settle in the team instead of bowing to media pressure...

And then watch Josh suffer like Wilshere.

No, lets just keep him wrapped up in cotton wool! Mind explaining to me what we'll do next season when Lampard will be 34 and Josh still wouldn't have had exposure to the big stage. :doh:

Of course he would have. Playing him constantly will do more harm than good. :wave:

You make it sound like it's war between Josh and Frank. They can both play a fair amount of games during the season. Lampard needs to play less games and help with the rotation in the middle. Besides Josh is still not ready for some games imo, for example against Stoke at britania or yesterday at the Mestalla.

No, lets just keep him wrapped up in cotton wool! Mind explaining to me what we'll do next season when Lampard will be 34 and Josh still wouldn't have had exposure to the big stage. :doh:

I was thinking that last season but thinking twice during the summer and looking at Wilshere changes my mind.

When Josh is 24/25 and owning every midfield in the country if not europe and Jack is picking up 2-3 avoidable injuries a season we will realise that we did the right thing.

I agree to some extent. It's most important to keep him injury free, serious injuries affect young player's development greatly... just look at Sam Hutchinson and the countless youth careers ruined by injuries. It's important for him to train with the team regularly and play once in a while.. if he played week in week out no doubt he'd pick up an injury sooner or later.

Things I would say to Frank Lampard if I could:

That, firstly, and most importantly, enormous and everlasting gratitude is due. Three Premier League titles, three FA Cups and two League Cups - I've won all of those, with your help. Plus (why not? Jose Mourinho always used to count them) two Community Shields.

And that gratitude is simultaneously due for 517 appearances and 172 goals. From midfield. Not just outstanding. Unparalleled. For perspective: that's 11 more goals than Ryan Giggs has scored for Manchester United - but in 366 fewer appearances. 366! And you haven't finished yet. Not finished by a long way. Even if you don't start every time, you will play many more games, because, round this way, there always seem to be a lot of games to be played.

That according to Sports Illustrated magazine, in June this year you were the 49th highest earning sportsperson in the world. Wowza. That's pretty good going, when you think that the world contains American basketball players.

That at my youngest son's school the other day, when they were asked to nominate their favourite sportsperson, the vast majority of them put your name down. OK, so it's a predominantly Chelsea-supporting school in south west London. But not just 'favourite footballer', note, because you seem to be bigger than that in their minds: favourite sportsperson.

That by the time they get to 33, an awful lot of players have gone to Birmingham, or somewhere similar. They are said to be 'winding down'. You, by contrast, are still critically involved in - and absolutely central to - the fortunes of a Champions League club that tends to be fighting for a title and three trophies in any given year. And for how many more seasons, if you get it right? Three? Four? Five? This is some position to be in.

That no successful side can be successfully re-fashioned without older players being obliged to adjust, in ways that might at first strike them as insulting or, at the very least, a bit cheeky. Fans know this. But fans also know that influence in and around a club isn't necessarily measured in minutes on the pitch.

That at the height of all that trumped-up stuff about ageing players and slower playing styles, it was noticeable that, when you and Nicolas Anelka eventually came on against Bayer Leverkusen, the pace quickened.

That the language people use is all wrong. Worse, the right language doesn't seem to be available. I read articles in which you are described as currently 'struggling for a place in the side', when surely we should really be talking about the extraordinary importance and value of the kind of player who is not automatically first choice at home to Swansea, but is first choice against Valencia, away in the Champions League, three days later. But there seem to be fewer off-the-peg phrases to describe that role in such a way as to lend it the required dignity. People, loving to sniff a downfall and the imminent end of things, seem to prefer a gloomier spin. We'd all be mad to join them.

That the first people to preach the benefits of the squad system are managers. But the second people to preach it ought to be senior players. It's so patently in their interests to do so.

That the press would absolutely love it if your perfectly natural dissatisfaction at being required to play from the bench from time to time could be fashioned into a full-blown snit, served up with an extra-large serving of indignation, a dollop of speculation regarding dressing room disharmony and all the trimmings. That's back-page heaven. Indeed, the Mail on Sunday has been all over this already. And, of course, there is very little you can do about being taken out of context, although, if you were ever in a position to give one, a public statement of outright support for the manager and his long-term project puts that one to bed pretty conclusively. (The one after last night's match was pretty useful. There will be other even better opportunities to be even more emphatic, I'm sure.)

That you are already a club legend - but that who knows what lies in store for you if, as someone widely regarded as the consummate professional, you get this next phase of the career right? Probably nothing short of immortality.

http://www.chelseafc.com/page/LatestNews/0,,10268~2466449,00.html

He had a pretty good 2nd half, 1st half was poor.

I think first half his performance mirrored the teams average performance. I thought he was good defensively, but offensively the whole team struggled because mata, malouda and Torres weren't making runs and proper movement off the ball.

Good for him. He shut up the pro-United media and showed them that he still has a major part to play at this club. I would not rush him straight back into the first XI though because it was only 1 game. Still, if he impresses as a substitute then I do not see why he could not regain his place.