Raul Meireles

chrismada9

I don't get this. Meireles has been up and down since joining Chelsea but if RDM continues to want to play the 4-2-3-1, who can sub for Lampard? We need someone to be able to rotate into the starting XI and there is literally nobody else with that sort of experience on the roster. The squad seems so imbalanced. We have a huge number of attacking midfielders and really no central midfielders.

Agree with this. The only thing i would say about selling Meireles now is that i think the board have seen this summer how hard it has been to offload older fringe players on high wages. You only loan out a 29 year old and 32 year old if you can't sell them. Malouda, Essien and Benayoun all proved difficult to ship out. Meireles could do a good job this season bit he still has a 3 year contract. The club have maybe looked at this and made a decision to sell him now rather than be stuck with him later. I hope this doesn't backfire on us and Robbie.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have to admit I wasn't his biggest fan and he was frustrating at times, but you can't fault his effort and willingness to help the team. Although his stay was short-lived, atleast he ended it on a high with a great performance and a win vs Newcastle (And another CL winners medal).

Good luck Raul.

Ramires is not the right player for the double pivot role. You need to be a creative passer to play there and that's just not Ramires. Also, don't see how this would get Romeu more time because he's a straight defensive midfielder which is Mikel's spot and he's still around. I have no idea what RDM is going to do though because no options really make sense.

I wouldn't mind playing two defensive midfielders. It would strengthen up our midfield and give added protection to the defence to negate the risk of being counter attacked. We could also then play three genuinely attacking options behind the striker rather than a defensive winger.

"Why not?" is my question. He's not a worldclass player anymore, but he's still a good and intelligent one and he knows Chelsea. We would just need him for our depth.

I agree. He still has some world-class performances in him, he showed that last year in the CL.

Wow...I did expect Raul to leave us, but when the window closed I thought we would keep him for another season as a backup. It was obvious he had no real future here, especially in our 4-2-3-1 since he is neither ideal for be deployed as DM and neither as CAM.

Still he did his part last season and kicked some serious ass in Champions League. He won 2 great trophies here and played quite a number of games. If he is not ready to accept a squad role he should move on since he is 29. It was nice having him, his epic tattos and his mohawk here.

All the best mate! blue%20scalf.gif

Classy Fenerbahce fans are now acting like their club is all of a sudden some huge step up from Chelsea (a.k.a. the Champions of Europe) and like we were forced to sell him because a bigger club came calling. :lol:

An absolute joke to allow Meireles to leave at this time without being able to find a replacement of sorts at the very least. His departure leaves us in perilous situation in the central midfield area. 1-2 injuries in there and we are screwed!

Not delighted or pissed off he's gone. Good squad player and was great for us last season in Europe. Thanks Raul, glad you've freed up space for Piazon and Romeu. Maybe even Chalobah could get some games as a CDM in some cups because he does that role well and can play double pivot. This is good but maybe not the greatest timing.