Juan Mata

Severinb

To be honest I am generally surprised van Gaal dropped him to play Rooney as a number 10.... I think Rooney's better as a striker than a number 10 but I suppose van Gaal has to get Falcao and (an under performing) RvP in his team. Still don't think United will get rid of him that easily either, Rooneys got a 3 game ban, van Persie's legs are going and there's constant talk of injuries/surgeries so he will get plenty of games.

Still he made his decision and to be honest he could have still been a part of the team here but he chose not to and now hes perhaps having a bit of deja vu although I think van Gaal is stupid not dropping van Persie who has been terrible since the start of last season.

Anyway... I suppose going back to Valencia could be interesting for him, they have a new owner who seems to be spending money but I doubt they will ever become a force like Atletico, Real and Barca.

People need to make up their mind about the Mata situation. First, you have people saying that he didn't fit into Mourinho's plans and it was a great decision to sell him especially for the money we got. And then, the same fellas also say that he should have stayed and fight for his place. Jeez people. Make up your mind.

Poor fella.

Mourinho made it quite clear that Oscar was his main #10, so come on guys, you can't blame the man for changing. Of course, it did hurt a bit that he chose Man United, but why shouldn't he? United were probably the ones who offered the biggest check, and if weather we like it or not, they are one of the biggest clubs on this planet. We got a very nice fee for a man who was benching it more than playing, and Mata got to play every time(back then).

I wanna see him succeed, and a move back to Valencia could be the right thing for him. Can't take Atl. Madrid out of the equation neither. Top team, who could probably help Mata in the right direction again.

#FreeJuan!

Poor fella.

Mourinho made it quite clear that Oscar was his main #10, so come on guys, you can't blame the man for changing. Of course, it did hurt a bit that he chose Man United, but why shouldn't he? United were probably the ones who offered the biggest check, and if weather we like it or not, they are one of the biggest clubs on this planet. We got a very nice fee for a man who was benching it more than playing, and Mata got to play every time(back then).

I wanna see him succeed, and a move back to Valencia could be the right thing for him. Can't take Atl. Madrid out of the equation neither. Top team, who could probably help Mata in the right direction again.

#FreeJuan!

If he goes Leti he will be sitting on yet another bench, Simeone is a Mourinho discipline.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.redcafe.net/threads/juan-mata-2014-2015-performances.394002/page-45

Pu£&y. All I can say about him. He won't be here for long playing like that.

Just awful. Get rid as soon as possible.

It's like playing with one man down.

He really isn't the player I imagined he would be. Looks scared when put under pressure and even when he has space, he isn't particularly creative. Most of the time, he will play a simple pass. I do think he worked harder tonight than usual so I'll give him that.

Was shite today tbh.

He needs to man the feck up and take some responsibility. Pretty sideways passes are nice and all, but he's in the team to try and create some goals.

Was missing all game. People on here (rightly/wrongly whatever) slating Januzaj and Van Persie but Mata was actually the worst player thinking about it. I considered Blind our worst till the goal but that's only cos I forgot all about Mata

Simply can't dictate play or hold the ball where you want him to. Added to his lack of defensive nous, it's hard to see where he'll fit in.

For me, our worse player tonight. His touch, control and passing are poor. He just does not look the classy player on the ball that he was.

Completely anonymous again. At this point I might start thinking Fellaini should play ahead of him.

Reminds me of the Torres thread after every chelsea game....

That's what he did at Chelsea.
Somehow everyone thought he was a dictator/number 10. Probably because he's small and Spanish, I guess.

He was always a second striker. He played best under Di Matteo who allowed his 'amigos' the freedom to not defend. It was a team that had poor shape in the league, and moved the the ball forward really quickly from front to back.

This minimised the physical side of the game. Most of his good work came as Chelsea broke. He'd receive it in his half, spin, pass it wide, sprint forward and score from a cut back. It was 4 on 4 counter attacking. Lots of space to run/pass into.
You put Mata in a part of the pitch where he's closely marked, and needs to hold the ball - and you'll get the Mata we see today.

I remember having a huge argument that Mata was a striker, moreso than a midfielder, but than again this board kept saying the latter. United fans are seeing what I already knew from mata in his younger days at madrid.

That's what he did at Chelsea.

Somehow everyone thought he was a dictator/number 10. Probably because he's small and Spanish, I guess.

He was always a second striker. He played best under Di Matteo who allowed his 'amigos' the freedom to not defend. It was a team that had poor shape in the league, and moved the the ball forward really quickly from front to back.

This minimised the physical side of the game. Most of his good work came as Chelsea broke. He'd receive it in his half, spin, pass it wide, sprint forward and score from a cut back. It was 4 on 4 counter attacking. Lots of space to run/pass into.

You put Mata in a part of the pitch where he's closely marked, and needs to hold the ball - and you'll get the Mata we see today.

I remember having a huge argument that Mata was a striker, moreso than a midfielder, but than again this board kept saying the latter. United fans are seeing what I already knew from mata in his younger days at madrid.

Yeah, I always considered him more of a second striker rather than a playmaking midfielder.

Yeah, I always considered him more of a second striker rather than a playmaking midfielder.

yet, people on this board killed me for saying he was a striker...

Because on paper he was listed as a "midfielder." people look at stats and paper too much and not watch the games...

FIFA killed it for everyone...