Official - RDM and Steve Holland appointed assistant coaches

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a few points I've picked up on............

AVB certainly knows his way around managing people by making sure It's not just about individuals but this is going to be a team effort from top to bottom - this will build relationships, everyone will feel like they are part of it & he will know very quickly who doesn't! This will also build moral & provide extra motivation as the divides in the camp will be broken & a team effort will begin.

Like the way AVB has also made it known that even though JT will be Captain he will not be ammuned from being benched or dropped, this was one of the problems we had with Ancelotti who kept picking players despite their poor form - this sends out a message to all the senior players that if you're standards drop you will be on gardening leave! For me those few words are a quality piece of management.

One thing that does worry me though & I'm sure its just a red herring until we do start signing some quality players is that he wants to look at what we've got first before rushing into the transfer market. Someone who is as meticulous as AVB will prob already know who he wants in or out - I will be astonished if some of the mediocre players are still at the club come August 31st.

Lastly, the fact that AVB is making his decisions by personally phoning RDM is evidence that he has ensured that he gained some power over footballing decisions, maybe just maybe Roman has learnt his lesson by his previous mistakes.............

I have a much better feeling about AVB then i did when we announced Carlo as our Manager. Although Carlo did win the Champions League twice, he failed on the domestic circuit, only winning the Scudetta once. I for one believe the Champions League comes down to a mixture of luck and individual brilliance. Some of the most over-rated managers in history have won the Champions League.

AVB is a very tactical manager who has the football brain to change a formation or make substitutions that make sense.. The only thing that could ruin him as a manager is a divided dressing room. Any players who cause unrest throughout the dressing room need to be snuffed out and sent packing. I couldn't give a fuck who they are, If they aren't ready to give there all for the club and commit themselves to our new manager, they can piss off!

Just a few points I've picked up on............

AVB certainly knows his way around managing people by making sure It's not just about individuals but this is going to be a team effort from top to bottom - this will build relationships, everyone will feel like they are part of it & he will know very quickly who doesn't! This will also build moral & provide extra motivation as the divides in the camp will be broken & a team effort will begin.

Like the way AVB has also made it known that even though JT will be Captain he will not be ammuned from being benched or dropped, this was one of the problems we had with Ancelotti who kept picking players despite their poor form - this sends out a message to all the senior players that if you're standards drop you will be on gardening leave! For me those few words are a quality piece of management.

One thing that does worry me though & I'm sure its just a red herring until we do start signing some quality players is that he wants to look at what we've got first before rushing into the transfer market. Someone who is as meticulous as AVB will prob already know who he wants in or out - I will be astonished if some of the mediocre players are still at the club come August 31st.

Lastly, the fact that AVB is making his decisions by personally phoning RDM is evidence that he has ensured that he gained some power over footballing decisions, maybe just maybe Roman has learnt his lesson by his previous mistakes.............

Fair point, agreed on most cases.

In terms of Roman giving him some leeway... I don't think he'd pay £13.3 million for a manager to keep him on a tight leash.

So there's a popular twitter rumour that Gianfranco Zola is in contention for Director of Football. Not sure how true this will be though.. They say SkyItalia is reporting it, can't find a link though.

Our website is proper shite......still offically has Clement, English and O Driscoll at the club when everywhere else has reported they have gone. Also no news on who the new reserve team manager(McGivern??) will be and no news on what Emenalo's role will be.....have not even bothered to add the two new guys either......

It also has NEVER offically said if Bosingwa was given an extension to his contract which is due to expire tomorrow....

Our website is proper shite......still offically has Clement, English and O Driscoll at the club when everywhere else has reported they have gone. Also no news on who the new reserve team manager(McGivern??) will be and no news on what Emenalo's role will be.....have not even bothered to add the two new guys either......

It also has NEVER offically said if Bosingwa was given an extension to his contract which is due to expire tomorrow....

its-a-conspiracy.jpg

:lol:

It was good to hear AVB called RDM himself, and gave logical reasons for his appointment. It clearly wasn't just a PR move to get the sentimental fans on side.

Here's SI's take on the matter, which I agree with:

6. Roberto Di Matteo. Villas-Boas was generous in his praise for the former Chelsea midfielder and ex-West Bromwich Albion manager, calling Di Matteo, 41, the "perfect man for the job" of assistant manager. It's not precisely clear, however, what Di Matteo's role will entail. He's not expected to take training -- Villas-Boas and new assistant coach Steve Holland are very hands-on in that respect -- so it's safe to assume that Di Matteo will act more as a sounding-board and a kind of liaison officer for the media. The former Chelsea player is also a popular figure with players and supporters. It's impossible to know whether Villas-Boas was gently pushed to appoint this kind of figurehead or himself felt that it was a useful ploy to take some of the heat and attention of him but from the club's point of view, it makes good sense. After the dismissal of Ray Wilkins, Chelsea could do with another recognizable, smiling face among its ranks.

Source: Sports Illustrated

In theory it should work both ways for us and Villas-Boas.

Just came back from a week camping expecting things to be rather slow, when i read Di Matteo was back as coach i had too slap myself about 5 times to make sure i was not dreaming with my track record, soo faaakkkinnggggg happpaaayyyy emo6.gif

Roberto Di Matteo <3

Newly-promoted Chelsea coach lifts lid on 'strange week' under Andre Villas-Boas

Newly-appointed Chelsea assistant coach Steve Holland admits it has been a "strange week" but is excited by the philosophy manager Andre Villas-Boas is looking to employ at Stamford Bridge.

Holland was this week promoted from reserve-team coach to assistant first-team coach, where he will work as part of former Porto manager Villas-Boas' new-look backroom team.

Roberto Di Matteo, Jose Mario Rocha and Daniel Sousa have been drafted in by Villas-Boas to work with existing goalkeeping coach Christophe Lollichon and Holland, who says he is excited by the prospect of Chelsea under their new leadership structure.

"It has been as strange week," he told the club's official website, www.chelseafc.com. "This time last week I was in Spain with my family and Andre called me, asking whether I would like to be involved with the first-team staff for next season.

"Half a second later I said yes and was on the way home. I spent most of last weekend in a hotel with Andre going through his philosophy and his ideas.

"It's something I'm very proud to have been asked to do and I'm excited and looking forward to helping Andre and supporting the team.

"If I'm honest that is also balanced with an element of sadness. At any football club when there is change and staff members go, especially if you've had a good relationship, it is sad to see people go, so all things considered it has been a really strange week."

Holland guided the reserves to the national championship last season playing a brand of exciting, attacking football, which the former Crewe coach believes the first team will be embracing under Villas-Boas.

"Going back right down to my childhood, I was inspired by the Brazilians of 1982," he added.

"I was 12 then, but remember that World Cup with Zico, Serginho, Socrates, Falcao.

"Even before then the Dutch team of the mid-70s, and I grew up on the legend of those players, so I've always been inspired by that type of football.

"Coming here a couple of years ago, the development teams play with that philosophy, the reserves did last year and Andre is exactly the same so it is a good fit."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfoo...l#ixzz1QxBma9rm

Meanwhile, it has been reported that Villas-Boas has hired Fernando Torres’ personal trainer in a bid to kick-start his Chelsea career after a difficult debut half-season.

Ivan Ortega helped Torres recover from a knee injury while at Liverpool, and the £50 million striker is convinced that his trainer will help him return to the form he showed at Atletico Madrid and in his first three seasons at Anfield.

It is reported that Torres had a large input into the appointment of Ortega, who will now join Villas-Boas’ backroom staff.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/07/03/2558329/nicolas-anelka-to-leave-chelsea-while-andre-villas-boas-vows?