test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

the wes

24. Reece James

Started by the wes,

336 posts in this topic

I'm a bit worried by some of the comments I'm reading. It seems that some of you are viewing Reece as the Second Coming and that he will instantaneously transform our team. He has talent, there is no doubt about that, but I can't see him being any more than a squad player this season. People's expectations of young players are unrealistic. Look at Kakuta and McEachran as prime examples. He just needs to be given time, without the burden of unrealistic expectations. 

2 hours ago, BlueLion. said:

I'm a bit worried by some of the comments I'm reading. It seems that some of you are viewing Reece as the Second Coming and that he will instantaneously transform our team. 

Can't speak for anyone else but for me that's not true on either level, however i do think he's a generational talent and a better option compared to current Azpi (who's rapidly declining) especially in this type of system. Wigan fans believe he's the best player to ever wear their shirt which given they were a midtable PL side for the best part of a decade while performing the odd deep cup run in that period (which includes getting to two cup finals and winning one) is seriously no mean feet at 18.

I'm not delusional enough to believe his inclusion alone will turn our defense into a Jose 1.0 esque backline, however i think we will see improvements at the back and especially going forward.

On 13/08/2019 at 1:36 PM, Tomo said:

Really looking forward to his return, i think he's the generational type talent that will slot in seemlessly.

Mount, Pulisic and Odoi are talents but there be a lot of teething with them before they get to permanent starter quality, i feel Reece is that quality now and i actually think he would have prevented the 2nd and maybe even 3rd goal at Old Trafford.

That’s ridiculous Odoi is easily first team quality, especially since he was more than good enough for Bayern 

51 minutes ago, RJBOfficial said:

That’s ridiculous Odoi is easily first team quality, especially since he was more than good enough for Bayern 

Im not saying he isn't talented or doesn't deserve his place in the squad , however when he did play against top level opposition it was clear that the week by week consistency is a work in progress.

From what I've seen of RJ, i honestly believe he can slot in and play to that type of level from the off, like Wan Bissaka did at Palace.

OhForAGreavsie likes this

12 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

When’s he back? 

Most likely after international break. 

5 hours ago, Tomo said:

Can't speak for anyone else but for me that's not true on either level, however i do think he's a generational talent and a better option compared to current Azpi (who's rapidly declining) especially in this type of system. Wigan fans believe he's the best player to ever wear their shirt which given they were a midtable PL side for the best part of a decade while performing the odd deep cup run in that period (which includes getting to two cup finals and winning one) is seriously no mean feet at 18.

I'm not delusional enough to believe his inclusion alone will turn our defense into a Jose 1.0 esque backline, however i think we will see improvements at the back and especially going forward.

I do think a lot of people are putting too much faith in, and expectation upon, a young lad who hasn't even played a minute of Premier League football.

20 hours ago, Tomo said:

Im not saying he isn't talented or doesn't deserve his place in the squad , however when he did play against top level opposition it was clear that the week by week consistency is a work in progress.

From what I've seen of RJ, i honestly believe he can slot in and play to that type of level from the off, like Wan Bissaka did at Palace.

He impressed every single time he played on his preferred left wing against strong or weak opposition 

3 hours ago, nyikolajevics said:

Davide is sold, faith is officialy put in him.

He is not sold, he was loaned for 6 months (with an option to extend it for another 6)  AND we bloody extended his contract

https://www.westlondonsport.com/chelsea/zappacosta-extends-chelsea-stay-and-leaves-on-loan

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/zappacosta-completes-loan-switch-from-chelsea-to-italian-capital

Chelsea full-back Davide Zappacosta has signed a one-year contract extension with the Blues and has joined Roma on loan until January.

The 27-year-old Italy international signed for Chelsea from Torino in a reported £23million deal in 2017.

But he made only four Premier League appearances last season under compatriot Maurizio Sarri, although he was a regular on the continent as Chelsea won the Europa League.

His move to Roma includes an option to extend the loan until the end of the season and Zappacosta is delighted to have sealed the Serie A switch.

“I am pleased to join Roma, after an experience overseas that helped me progress as both a player and a person,” Zappacosta told Roma’s website.

On 14/08/2019 at 1:55 PM, RJBOfficial said:

We all like Callum, but it would be going too far to think that he has fully proved himself.

As for Bayern's interest, we should recognise that as nothing more than them being willing to invest in potential. Look for example at the ridiculous fee they paid for Renato Sanches. When I said that he wasn't very good, and that his award as young player of the tournament at Euro 2016 was based on nothing more than name recognition due to that fee, someone told me (elsewhere) to shut up because I was just making myself sound foolish. Let's hope the lad makes a go of it at Lille, but his story only proves that Bayern's approval can't be seen as a guarantee. Callum is super talented, but so is Sanches. Now it's about Callum showing that he can do more with his attributes than the young Portugal international has so far managed to do with his.

NikkiCFC and Fernando like this

40 minutes ago, the wes said:

Reece James is set to earn a new and improved Chelsea contract ‘over the coming months’, according to The Telegraph.

Like Abraham.

At this rate, looks like our old guard will be replaced by super rich kids.

47 minutes ago, the wes said:

Reece James is set to earn a new and improved Chelsea contract ‘over the coming months’, according to The Telegraph.

Can't say that Chelsea have learnt their lesson over Hudson-Odoi because we couldn't start trying to tie him down any sooner to a pro contract than we did.

However it looks like the club are ensuring that the top youngsters are tied down for the long term and it is extremely smart long term planning. Even if some of them don't quite make the grade as first choice they can hopefully develop into reliable and useful squad players and with the premium on homegrown talent now, these kids are already very valuable players that are only likely to increase in value. (Abraham and in particular Mount's starts this season will already comfortably have them in a £30-40m bracket, whilst Hudson-Odoi and Loftus-Cheek will be even higher. If reports are true we turned down £25m for Reece from Palace already too so that shows his value also to us and he hasn't played yet).

The signs so far are promising that the club are ready to really back these young players to make an impression within the squad. It'll be more clearer the longer the season goes how much faith they are willing to have in Lampard and the academy players but, for me personally, so far it's been refreshing to see. Our Premier League goals so far have come entirely from our academy and it seems to have re-energised a squad that was starting to look a little stale before the ban. There is a lot of work for Lampard to do still, the defensive make up of the side in particular but we already attack with so much more intent then we did last season.

8 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Can't say that Chelsea have learnt their lesson over Hudson-Odoi because we couldn't start trying to tie him down any sooner to a pro contract than we did.

However it looks like the club are ensuring that the top youngsters are tied down for the long term and it is extremely smart long term planning. Even if some of them don't quite make the grade as first choice they can hopefully develop into reliable and useful squad players and with the premium on homegrown talent now, these kids are already very valuable players that are only likely to increase in value. (Abraham and in particular Mount's starts this season will already comfortably have them in a £30-40m bracket, whilst Hudson-Odoi and Loftus-Cheek will be even higher. If reports are true we turned down £25m for Reece from Palace already too so that shows his value also to us and he hasn't played yet).

The signs so far are promising that the club are ready to really back these young players to make an impression within the squad. It'll be more clearer the longer the season goes how much faith they are willing to have in Lampard and the academy players but, for me personally, so far it's been refreshing to see. Our Premier League goals so far have come entirely from our academy and it seems to have re-energised a squad that was starting to look a little stale before the ban. There is a lot of work for Lampard to do still, the defensive make up of the side in particular but we already attack with so much more intent then we did last season.

Its seems the club and the fanbase have all universally learned their lesson from the De Bruyne and Salah situations and are firmly pulling in the same direction with producing the best pathway for these set of youngsters.

I think the early contract renewals are in part to the fact if they have screamers of a season they could demand ridiculous amounts early on (like what Rashford did at United) whereas this way by the time it gets to that point they will be that little bit older and already be firmly established in the first team.

Superblue_1986 and Fernando like this

On 27/08/2019 at 8:59 AM, the wes said:

Let's hope so but let us not forget that he signed a contract extension last summer.

Any chance we could start seeing him in the starting XI after the international break?