test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

the wes

Kalidou Koulibaly

Started by the wes,

1,668 posts in this topic
5 minutes ago, Vesper said:

This coming summer is his last true huge cash-cost go-round, IMHO.

28,29,30,31yo and sell

is doable

29,30,31,32 and sell is already decreased

and 

30,31,32,33 and sell

is a fail

I must admit I hate the idea that the ability to re-sell in a few years time is a big reason to go and buy a player. I can understand what you're saying and the thought process that if a player flopped he'd probably be easier to move on and hopefully still get a reasonable fee back. It's an added bonus if it ever happened in the future but a transfer in my opinion should never be viewed in that way.

If a club views a player is worth said amount of money regardless of age, ability to re-sell, etc then that should be enough. I can't see Ronaldo going for very much after his Juventus move, if anything at all. But if he helps Juventus win more trophies over the next couple of seasons and in particular plays a big part in them managing to conquer Europe then his purchase will be worth it.

Two players in the same situation spring to mind when it comes to Chelsea. Zola joined at the age of 30 for what was a big outlay at the time. I can safely say being at Wembley in 97 to win the FA Cup was worth every penny of his transfer fee. The other is Makelele who was over 30 and signed for big money in what was considered an 'unfancied' position of the pitch and he was key in the initial trophy laden Mourinho era. Again well worth the outlay.

Vesper, Unionjack and kc_blue like this

3 minutes ago, kc_blue said:

Don't want to see him in Manchester, red or blue.

Tell me about it mate! Was a long time dream of mine to bring him and Varane

1 minute ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I must admit I hate the idea that the ability to re-sell in a few years time is a big reason to go and buy a player. I can understand what you're saying and the thought process that if a player flopped he'd probably be easier to move on and hopefully still get a reasonable fee back. It's an added bonus if it ever happened in the future but a transfer in my opinion should never be viewed in that way.

If a club views a player is worth said amount of money regardless of age, ability to re-sell, etc then that should be enough. I can't see Ronaldo going for very much after his Juventus move, if anything at all. But if he helps Juventus win more trophies over the next couple of seasons and in particular plays a big part in them managing to conquer Europe then his purchase will be worth it.

Two players in the same situation spring to mind when it comes to Chelsea. Zola joined at the age of 30 for what was a big outlay at the time. I can safely say being at Wembley in 97 to win the FA Cup was worth every penny of his transfer fee. The other is Makelele who was over 30 and signed for big money in what was considered an 'unfancied' position of the pitch and he was key in the initial trophy laden Mourinho era. Again well worth the outlay.

I didnt so much mean resale, I apoligise if it looked like that

I was focusing on a 4 year run vis-a-vis age

KK maybe be the exception, but most backs go to shit after they turn older than 30 or 31

obviously there are exception, but look at so many huge names who are on pure downward slide now that they are 31 or older

Ramos and Pique and Marcelo are perfect examples

Hummels and Boateng's massive decline happened before they even turned 30

Superblue_1986 likes this

5 minutes ago, Unionjack said:

Tell me about it mate! Was a long time dream of mine to bring him and Varane

Yeah, I've wanted him here for a long time as well.

Unionjack likes this

1 minute ago, Vesper said:

I didnt so much mean resale, I apoligise if it looked like that

I was focusing on a 4 year run vis-a-vis age

KK maybe be the exception, but most backs go to shit after they turn older than 30 or 31

obviously there are exception, but look at so many huge names who are on pure downward slide now that they are 31 or older

Ramos and Pique and Marcelo are perfect examples

Hummels and Boateng's massive decline happened before they even turned 30

I understand. More just a general rant from me because I know a lot of people look at transfers that way and at times it seems our current board do too.

I would never want the club to piss money against a wall with no care in the world, but I think every player/deal should be viewed and treated in isolation rather than a blanket treatment.

The same goes for one year contracts once a player turns 30. Again, I wouldn't expect the club to start handing out 3 or 4 year contracts to a 31 year old but if a player is important and shown no signs of decline to that point then a two year contract or year with option for an extra year based on appearances should never be dismissed.

kc_blue likes this

Man Utd plan mega offer for 'devastated' Koulibaly
https://www.tribalfootball.com/articles/man-utd-plan-mega-offer-for-devastated-koulibaly-4264632

Manchester United are preparing a mega offer for Napoli defender Kalidou Koulibaly.

The Mirror says United will offer Koulibaly an escape route away from Italy's racists.

United have made the 27-year-old Senegal international a prime summer target after failing to land him before the start of the season. And they believe Koulibaly will this time attempt to force his departure from the Serie A club after being targeted by bigots.

The issue has left Koulibaly devastated – and a move away from Italy now appears to be the most likely outcome.

Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis has ruled out the player's departure during the January transfer market. He has claimed to have rejected a £95million bid from United in the summer – a declaration that has been denied at Old Trafford.

But while United sources insist their interest in Koulibaly never went beyond making an enquiry about a valuation, they have made signing the France-born defender a priority.

snip