John Terry

DavidEU

60K/wk is an absolute joke. If true, then the club DID offer him a contract they don't want him to sign. Any other player who doesn't have the relation JT has with the fans and who doesn't care for the fans and the club as much as him would not even think about that offer for 2 seconds. Sigh... 

Giggs and Scholes were taking 35k and barely played. Only because of injuries did they feature. Come on now, it's a far cry saying 60k is a contract offer they don't want him to sign. It's a completely reasonable offer, slowly stepping down from the throne he has prolongly and deservedly occupied. 

10 hours ago, CHOULO19 said:

60K/wk is an absolute joke. If true, then the club DID offer him a contract they don't want him to sign. Any other player who doesn't have the relation JT has with the fans and who doesn't care for the fans and the club as much as him would not even think about that offer for 2 seconds. Sigh... 

Not really, especially when the average salary in the UK is just under 27k per year.

If it's money that Terry is after he can go to China. Simples.

Just now, Styles said:

Not really, especially when the average salary in the UK is just under 27k per year.

If it's money that Terry is after he can go to China. Simples.

Yeah, and there are kids in China who get $30 per month making shoes, I'm sure that'll make you happy to take a 60% wage cut on YOUR salary...

Obviously it's not money he cares about because he is actually considering this plain disrespectful offer from the club. Not that he needs to make this decision to prove that he actually cares about the club and the fans and not just the money after all he has done and stood for in his time here. 

2 minutes ago, CHOULO19 said:

Yeah, and there are kids in China who get $30 per month making shoes, I'm sure that'll make you happy to take a 60% wage cut on YOUR salary...

Obviously it's not money he cares about because he is actually considering this plain disrespectful offer from the club. Not that he needs to make this decision to prove that he actually cares about the club and the fans and not just the money after all he has done and stood for in his time here. 

Just under 3m a season for a 36-year-old back-up CB is great money. How is it a joke?

It just goes to show how well Chelsea looked after him during his prime years that he could take a 60% cut and still be on 3m a year.

No sympathy. Either sign da ting or move on. Them crocodile tears aren't fooling me.

1 minute ago, Styles said:

Just under 3m a season for a 36-year-old back-up CB is great money. How is it a joke?

It just goes to show how well Chelsea looked after him during his prime years that he could take a 60% cut and still be on 3m a year.

No sympathy. Either sign da ting or move on. Them crocodile tears aren't fooling me.

It's a joke because no one in the world would take a 60% wage cut. It's unheard of.

Taking care of him? How charitable of the Chelsea board...

Last season, after he played every single minute of every game and was by far the best CB in the league, the 'crocodile' still accepted  a wage cut on a one-year only deal. 

And the vast majority of the fans remember and still very much appreciate his loyalty and dedication to the club. 

4 minutes ago, CHOULO19 said:

It's a joke because no one in the world would take a 60% wage cut. It's unheard of.

Last season, after he played every single minute of every game and was by far the best CB in the league, the 'crocodile' still accepted  a wage cut on a one-year only deal. 

And the vast majority of the fans remember and still very much appreciate his loyalty and dedication to the club. 

Well his playing time will be a lot less also, much reduced wage for much less workload sounds fair.

Why shouldn't he take a wage cut if his role is likely to change quite significantly?

The reality is, he is worth 60k per week to Chelsea because he's old, won't play as much and they will upgrade the defence.

Chelsea took very good care of Terry and stuck by him through a lot of self-inflicted bullshit so yes, took care of him they did.

Last year was last year. This year he has played like shit and shouldn't be in the first 11 moving forward.

In every sport, the contract you sign at 36 will be very different to the one you signed at 28 (unless you go somewhere like China).

Whatever happened to just bowing out gracefully?

19 minutes ago, manpe said:

Well his playing time will be a lot less also, much reduced wage for much less workload sounds fair.

It's not AT ALL a financial issue for the club. They offered this contract because no player would accept a 60% wage cut.

As I've already pointed out in this thread, any back up Cb we'd get instead of JT, even would with half the wages, would still cost us more because of the transfer fee.

Even if we give JT the 100K-120K he deserves and should get he would still cost less on FFP than the majority of the first team including back up players.

It IS however financial for JT who will be playing at best the season before his last in football after which his income will drastically decrease. Of course he has to consider this.

16 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Of course he doesn't have to take the offer to prove he loves the club or the fans, but I'm sorry I just simply don't subscribe to the theory he Is being shat on.

He has been paid well by us all over his career, we have also surrounded him with some great player's that has helped him pick up every trophy that he can possibly win (at Chelsea) and in return has given us nearly two decades of great service and performances, it's been an extremely mutually successful relationship.

But, ultimately, all things come to an end at some point, and while his Chelsea career may live another year, in my opinion his days of being a regular starter has long gone (I was hoping he would be one of the rare players that stay close to their prime until 40, but he has fallen off a cliff performance wise this season), and his wages have to mirror his role in the squad, same happened with Scholes and Giggs but were United shitting on them?

Pretty sure we surrounded JT with top players so that the club could win trophies. I don't think JT's medal collection was ever of concern to Roman and the board, tbh...

The club has 'shat' on JT in several clear ways regarding this contract, from not even contacting him or giving him any answers until the last week of the season, to delivering a PR low blow by publicly announcing offering him a new deal.

Did either Giggs or Scholes take a 60% wage cut from one contract to the next? I don't know but I would be willing to bet that they did not...

As I've already pointed out in this thread, any back up Cb we'd get instead of JT, even would with half the wages, would still cost us more because of the transfer fee.

Even if we give JT the 100K-120K he deserves and should get he would still cost less on FFP than the majority of the first team including back up players.

I'd say this is a nil item since if we don't buy a replacement this summer we'd almost certainly but one next summer. Either way, there's an FFP hit coming.

Only possible way around that is if Christensen, Tomori or Clarke-Salter are able to take JT's role in the squad.

15 minutes ago, Styles said:

Why shouldn't he take a wage cut if his role is likely to change quite significantly?

The reality is, he is worth 60k per week to Chelsea because he's old, won't play as much and they will upgrade the defence.

Chelsea took very good care of Terry and stuck by him through a lot of self-inflicted bullshit so yes, took care of him they did.

Last year was last year. This year he has played like shit and shouldn't be in the first 11 moving forward.

In every sport, the contract you sign at 36 will be very different to the one you signed at 28 (unless you go somewhere like China).

Whatever happened to just bowing out gracefully?

The way the club treated him this season surely left no place whatsoever for this matter to end 'gracefully'.

The reality is, he is worth 60k per week? Based on what exactly? What are the economic or mathematical methods you used to arrive at this.

The way I ended up at 100-120K is I considered his current wage and factored in that usually in football, no one ever takes a wage cut higher than 30%...

We can talk about the 'role' all we want, but ultimately that will be decided by performances and injuries. Everyone was talking about his 'role' at the end of Rafa's time too....

Also, for someone who 'played like shit' (and I'm in no way saying he was good this season) he was still our best CB over the entire season, even over Zouma who had incredible games, but still regularly made amateurish mistakes, especially with his positioning and reading of the game. 

2 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I'd say this is a nil item since if we don't buy a replacement this summer we'd almost certainly but one next summer. Either way, there's an FFP hit coming.

Only possible way around that is if Christensen, Tomori or Clarke-Salter are able to take JT's role in the squad.

How is it nil? The fee is amortized for the length of the contract, so you'd be saving a year without that amortized fee, which can be used to sign another player we need a year earlier without affecting the budget.

The only youth player who's remotely ready to come into the side is Christensen and he's made it fairly clear that he's like to stay at Gladbach another season. 

The way the club treated him this season surely left no place whatsoever for this matter to end 'gracefully'.

The reality is, he is worth 60k per week? Based on what exactly? What are the economic or mathematical methods you used to arrive at this.

The way I ended up at 100-120K is I considered his current wage and factored in that usually in football, no one ever takes a wage cut higher than 30%...

We can talk about the 'role' all we want, but ultimately that will be decided by performances and injuries. Everyone was talking about his 'role' at the end of Rafa's time too....

Also, for someone who 'played like shit' (and I'm in no way saying he was good this season) he was still our best CB over the entire season, even over Zouma who had incredible games, but still regularly made amateurish mistakes, especially with his positioning and reading of the game. 

Sorry Chou... I often value your input. The Chelsea-Board acted like idiots but Styles is right. JT is a legend, no doubt, he is our greatest ever captain, greatest ever CB (imho), but 60k a week, this is a massive amount for a player on the decline with a bit part role. He has been backed up extremly by the board, remember the ferdinand incident, where Buck and others did go to court for him? Remember that Story abt him and Bridgys Ex? So, the club stood by him even so England and the FA wanted to put him on is knees at that time. Club acted like idiots (again) could have handled it properly, giving him the same contract two months before... But him crying abotu a paycut whle earning so much money before and still earning money I probably won't earn for 3 years in ONE SINGLE MONTH... C'mon...

Just now, CHOULO19 said:

How is it nil? The fee is amortized for the length of the contract, so you'd be saving a year without that amortized fee, which can be used to sign another player we need a year earlier without affecting the budget.

The only youth player who's remotely ready to come into the side is Christensen and he's made it fairly clear that he's like to stay at Gladbach another season. 

Spend now, spend next year, the fee for a new CB will still come out of the budget at some point. More to spend on other players this summer = less to spend on other players next year.