John Terry

DavidEU

Just now, CHOULO19 said:

The way the club treated him this season surely left no place whatsoever for this matter to end 'gracefully'.

The reality is, he is worth 60k per week? Based on what exactly? What are the economic or mathematical methods you used to arrive at this.

The way I ended up at 100-120K is I considered his current wage and factored in that usually in football, no one ever takes a wage cut higher than 30%...

We can talk about the 'role' all we want, but ultimately that will be decided by performances and injuries. Everyone was talking about his 'role' at the end of Rafa's time too....

Also, for someone who 'played like shit' (and I'm in no way saying he was good this season) he was still our best CB over the entire season, even over Zouma who had incredible games, but still regularly made amateurish mistakes, especially with his positioning and reading of the game. 

I've arrived at this number because that is what Chelsea have reportedly offered him. Now Terry has to decide if his contribution would be worth considerably more elsewhere - and it likely will be in China or the Middle East. I doubt any club in one of the top European leagues would offer Terry 5m+ per year at this current stage of his career.

Terry is the one that used the media first and put the club in a difficult position, especially as we did not have a manager secured at the time. The club simply responded with a chess move of their own and I respect their gangsta.

If Terry loves the club as much as he said on Sunday he will sign up, even for a paltry 3m a year :Goober:

1 minute ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Spend now, spend next year, the fee for a new CB will still come out of the budget at some point. More to spend on other players this summer = less to spend on other players next year.

But that's the thing, it doesn't equate that at all because the fee is amortized. I'm too sleepy to give a practical example but see how FFP costs are calculated here to get an idea of what I mean: http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2014/10/16/6968855/chelsea-ffp-database 

6 minutes ago, Clevemayer said:

Sorry Chou... I often value your input. The Chelsea-Board acted like idiots but Styles is right. JT is a legend, no doubt, he is our greatest ever captain, greatest ever CB (imho), but 60k a week, this is a massive amount for a player on the decline with a bit part role. He has been backed up extremly by the board, remember the ferdinand incident, where Buck and others did go to court for him? Remember that Story abt him and Bridgys Ex? So, the club stood by him even so England and the FA wanted to put him on is knees at that time. Club acted like idiots (again) could have handled it properly, giving him the same contract two months before... But him crying abotu a paycut whle earning so much money before and still earning money I probably won't earn for 3 years in ONE SINGLE MONTH... C'mon...

Yes, wages in football are ridiculous for all sorts of reasons that would take hours to get into. But in the context of wages in football and how they usually work, not in relation to your salary or the average wages in the UK or China, a direct transition from 150K to 60K is very extreme.

All I'm saying is that it is incredibly rare for football players to take 60% wage cuts. That's just a fact. 

2 minutes ago, CHOULO19 said:

But that's the thing, it doesn't equate that at all because the fee is amortized. I'm too sleepy to give a practical example but see how FFP costs are calculated here to get an idea of what I mean: http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2014/10/16/6968855/chelsea-ffp-database 

Yes, wages in football are ridiculous for all sorts of reasons that would take hours to get into. But in the context of wages in football and how they usually work, not in relation to your salary or the average wages in the UK or China, a direct transition from 150K to 60K is very extreme.

All I'm saying is that it is incredibly rare for football players to take 60% wage cuts. That's just a fact. 

And not every Player earns  >100k a week for ten years, i know some normal wages, even 60k is above avarage. Take Inflation into Account. Thats a fact too mate. 

4 minutes ago, Styles said:

I've arrived at this number because that is what Chelsea have reportedly offered him. Now Terry has to decide if his contribution would be worth considerably more elsewhere - and it likely will be in China or the Middle East. I doubt any club in one of the top European leagues would offer Terry 5m+ per year at this current stage of his career.

Terry is the one that used the media first and put the club in a difficult position, especially as we did not have a manager secured at the time. The club simply responded with a chess move of their own and I respect their gangsta.

If Terry loves the club as much as he said on Sunday he will sign up, even for a paltry 3m a year :Goober:

So your method of judging what the club offered him is to consider what the club offered him to be the bench mark? Yeah, that makes sense...

I think there would be quite a few English clubs who would offer him 5m+, but of course he would not player for another club in the league.

The thing about the manager has already been debunked several times in this thread as well as about him going to the media and players rights to get answers from the club 5-6 months before their contracts expire...

Hi everyone!

First of all I am totally aware that this is not the appropriate thread to be posting this, please direct me to a more adequate one.

I am Portuguese and I am currently elaborating my masther thesis in Management, and my subjet is related to foreign investment in football. I would like to study Chelsea, but I can't find the clubs Financial Reports, can anyone help me? Where are they stored? I would need the reports since 2003 (that was when Abramovich acquired the club right?)

I would appreciate any help, seriously! Thanks a lot guys and sorry again for posting this on this thread.

1 hour ago, anaoeeva said:
Hi everyone!

First of all I am totally aware that this is not the appropriate thread to be posting this, please direct me to a more adequate one.

I am Portuguese and I am currently elaborating my masther thesis in Management, and my subjet is related to foreign investment in football. I would like to study Chelsea, but I can't find the clubs Financial Reports, can anyone help me? Where are they stored? I would need the reports since 2003 (that was when Abramovich acquired the club right?)

I would appreciate any help, seriously! Thanks a lot guys and sorry again for posting this on this thread.

Try contacting the club

3 hours ago, CHOULO19 said:

I understand amortisation perfectly well and it makes not the slightest difference to the logic here Chou.

If we are not paying wages and amortised fee for a new CB over, say, four years, starting in July this year, then we'll be doing that starting in July next year. Such a player will very likely be needed and so the money will have to be spent, and accounted for, at some time. In any case, amortisation is just an accounting practice. It almost never reflects real cash flows. The real amount of money leaving one club's bank account and arriving in another's also has to be budgeted. You sign a player this year or next year, he still has to be paid for.

For example, I imagine we are still showing the last dribbling of Mikel Jon Obi's transfer fee on our FFP accounts despite the fact that United and Lyn Oslo danced off into the night with their swag many moons ago. (Not sure how much of their booty Lyn got to keep by the time the legal processes worked themselves out.)

@CHOULO19 and the above payment argument:

I'd say that John Terry's maximum wage will NOT be £60k/week - that will be his basic pay. He will have lots of bonus clauses - 10, 20, 30 appearances etc that will substantially increase a payout, as well as trophies won etc...

I really want JT to stay and I've thought he would for the last 2 months, but now it's time for him to put his money where his mouth is - he thinks he can play for 2 more years, if he's right then he will fight his way back into the team, trigger these clauses and in all likelihood earn something similar to what he has this season. I personally think he will, especially when Zouma  returns from injury and that solid legs-brains partnership can make a return. Hell, if Roy had half a cajone he'd be training with England right now. People think they know more than the manager on here - scream for x manager's head for selecting Brana at right back, but when the alternative is played they realise why he was being played there - and similarly every manager would rather select half fit JT  over Ivanovic at CB.

I personally think it's Ivanovic who will be sold this summer.

For me if the club have offered £60k per week is reasonable. Yes it's a huge pay cut but if you take out China, the Middle East and the MLS (which apparently isn't an option for him) which all would involve a huge up-root of his young family and massive cultural changes, he will not get big money anywhere else. Lot's of players by Terry's age or even younger start moving to smaller clubs or even down the divisions, and will be paid a fraction of what they were being paid at their peak. It's easy to say the argument 'who would ever accept a 60-70% pay cut' but where else would you get rewarded by doubling or trebling your money for 6-12 months good work and performance. Football is so volatile you cannot compare it to anything else.

With regards to Terry, in his last long term contract he was being paid approx £170k per week and was our highest paid player (this following City wanting to buy him). Now I'm not saying he's not a legend or one of our best players, but he was being paid more than the likes of Cech, Lampard and Drogba who it can be argued were just as, if not more vital than him to the team at the time.

During this time he must have been the highest paid defender in the world too (or very close). However since that point only Ancelotti's first season and last season you could argue he was at the top of his game and justifying such a wage as one of the best defenders in world football. A lot of his legendary status is actually built prior to this period. And that is the biggest problem the club has, that his last contract was way over the odds for what we should have paid him and now bringing him in line where he should be now was always going to create such a problem.

If he stayed on a wage of £100 - 120k per week, he would still be in or around the top 5-10 paid defenders in the world. He is nowhere near that level anymore and Chelsea cannot justify paying him such a wage on that basis. It also creates potential problems going forward. If Zouma comes back to full fitness and form and becomes first choice but is paid a fraction of what Terry is who isn't playing, he'll want a bigger contract. Same for any of the younger players if they start pushing ahead of Terry in the pecking order. Someone who looks like he will not be first choice next season cannot be paid such a huge wage.

As some have said I would expect such a contract to be heavily incentive based so that if Terry is in the team, playing well and the team is winning, then the bonuses on top of his basic will probably get him closer to the £100k per week bracket.