John Terry

DavidEU

Mail Online-Chelsea must look to keep John Terry for 10 years... clubs should be doing everything to ensure their legends safeguard the future by Jamie Carragher

-Chelsea offered captain John Terry a new one-year deal on Friday
-It had appeared that the defender will be leaving the Blues in the summer
-English clubs have a tendency of not retaining their legends after playing

What took them so long? Why did it take until the last possible minute for Chelsea to realise what they could be losing in John Terry?
I'm not saying Chelsea owed it to Terry to offer him a contract because of his long service. They didn't. Nor am I suggesting the defender who has played this season is playing like he did 10 years ago. He isn't. Those points must be stressed.
There is a bigger picture. Chelsea shouldn't be looking at Terry and thinking about what he will offer to the team over the 10 months of next season. They should look at the next 10 years, working out whether he could become a manager, a head of the academy or a director of football.

Since Terry announced in January that it looked likely he would leave, I found it difficult to understand how he and Chelsea could drift apart. I felt that way when Frank Lampard ended his stay on the King's Road, as I did when Steven Gerrard and Liverpool went their separate ways.
I'm not talking about sentiment or keeping big reputations in a team because of past glories. The issue here is the future and legacies - why are clubs prepared to wave goodbye to men who could be crucial to the next generation?
Think about it. Terry has been at Chelsea since he was 14. He's got a lifetime's experience in the game, he knows what it takes to reach the top and then to stay there. He's got the kind of CV plenty of other clubs would want to tap into. Why else do you think Manchester City signed Lampard?
But this is not an isolated case. Look at Paolo Maldini and AC Milan. I spoke to him 12 months ago and his eagerness to help the club for whom he made 902 appearances and won five European Cups was apparent. 'I want to give something back,' he said.
Would Maldini not be better in a technical role at the San Siro rather than just going to the game with his friends casually as he is now? Of course he would. But his story shows how difficult it is for one-club men to return to the place they have known as home after they play for the last time. I think of my own situation. When I first spoke to Brendan Rodgers in the summer of 2012 on the phone, he told me he had a role in mind for me that could combine coaching and playing. I was delighted as I had told him it was going to be my last season.

When I met him face-to-face, however, the offer had gone and he had brought Mike Marsh down from the academy. A few months later, I told Liverpool that Sky had made contact and wanted me to join them but nobody at Anfield asked me to wait. They were well within their rights, of course, but I did find it strange.
It's now three years since I played my last game. I would never go looking for a role and the only way I could see myself working for Liverpool again was if Jurgen Klopp or a future manager asked me.
You would think clubs would be determined to hang on to the players who know the inner workings even more now when you consider that this is an era when so many people just pass through and have no lasting connections.
The idea of having a long-serving player graduating to becoming a top manager in the same stadium sounds perfect but the reality is different. It is not like years ago when a player could step straight into management.
Now you have to get all your badges, which take an age to complete, so it is unrealistic to think a star name would be given a top position immediately, so I don't know why managers and clubs are so worried now.

Terry, for instance, won't pose a threat to Antonio Conte next season. What he will be able to do, though, is help the new Italian head coach settle in. He'll also gain valuable experience for years to come. The relief he will feel that a resolution could be found will be huge.
'Chelsea is my club. I've been here 20 years,' he told me last December. 'I couldn't even begin to think about being somewhere else. What if you go somewhere and it doesn't work out? I could never play for anyone else in England. No chance.'
The only club in England I know that wanted to tap into the experience of their long-serving players was Manchester United with Sir Alex Ferguson. He wanted Gary Neville to run the academy, he saw Ryan Giggs as a manager-in-waiting and recognised the value of the Class of '92.
Of course, he could do that from a position of power but his thinking was clear. Clubs need an identity and what could be better for fans to see than those who have helped bring good times on the pitch continue to be visible after their playing careers?

It always amazed me that it took so long for Kenny Dalglish to be given an ambassadorial role by Liverpool and I raised that point in my autobiography; I still can't understand why such an impressive man as John Barnes does not have a permanent role at the club.
I remember being in the directors' box at Parkhead for a Champions League game between Celtic and Ajax; Marc Overmars and Edwin van der Sar were there, in an official capacity, while Dennis Bergkamp and Frank de Boer took charge of the team. Why can't our players do that?
Bayern Munich have things right. Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, their former player and current chief executive, already has it in mind for men such as Philipp Lahm, Thomas Muller and Manuel Neuer to have big roles in the future. Everything is mapped out.
That doesn't seem to be the case in England and the way Chelsea have gone to the brink with Terry is the latest example. Clubs shouldn't be scared of keeping hold of their legends. They should be doing everything to ensure they safeguard the future.

dailymail.co.uk

Just to be clear, the issue is not with offering him a reduced role or even a huge pay cut. Those are both justifiable. What isn't justifiable, and frankly just low from the board, is making a public announcement that he has been offered a contract especially after they've left this late. 

6 minutes ago, CHOULO19 said:

Just to be clear, the issue is not with offering him a reduced role or even a huge pay cut. Those are both justifiable. What isn't justifiable, and frankly just low from the board, is making a public announcement that he has been offered a contract especially after they've left this late. 

The fans have forced the issue here with this. The club probably feel the need to do so to prevent any problems both at the POTY evening and the Leicester game.

Also bearing in mind, JT was quick enough to make it public that he would be leaving.

I'm in two minds about this. There is the argument of keeping a leader of the group, and someone who truly understands the club. However I feel this season must be an end of an era and to make a real fresh start now is the time for the old guard to go.

15 minutes ago, xPetrCechx said:

The club just threw a random poor offer to terry to say we done our part... now let terry decides his future...

Did they ? I'm sorry but how could you know what they offered.

Also what would be a "poor offer" for you ? Right now Terry's on a £150 k/week. That's basically the wage of a key player. Next season he isn't going to be a key player.

It's highly unlikely he's even going to be a starter so it makes sense that his wages would drop considerably. A reasonable offer for me would be something around £70-80k a week.

3 minutes ago, CHOULO19 said:

Didn't Terry do a similar thing though by announcing he wasn't going to get a new contract ? The board had told him they weren't going to make a decision on that yet and that it was up to Conte (the new manager) to decide if he was getting a new contract.

Both parties are just doing what they can to get the best deal possible for themselves.

5 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

The fans have forced the issue here with this. The club probably feel the need to do so to prevent any problems both at the POTY evening and the Leicester game.

Also bearing in mind, JT was quick enough to make it public that he would be leaving.

I'm in two minds about this. There is the argument of keeping a leader of the group, and someone who truly understands the club. However I feel this season must be an end of an era and to make a real fresh start now is the time for the old guard to go.

No, the fans want JT to stay as anyone on the planet would know. The fans did not force the club to make an insincere offer as a PR stunt to force JT to chose either between his income or his status among the fans. If they want to let go of the biggest legend in the history of the club, let them face the consequences of that with the fans instead of this cowardly PR crap...

4 minutes ago, Belgiannutt said:

Didn't Terry do a similar thing though by announcing he wasn't going to get a new contract ? The board had told him they weren't going to make a decision on that yet and that it was up to Conte (the new manager) to decide if he was getting a new contract.

Both parties are just doing what they can to get the best deal possible for themselves.

One crucial difference: JT was telling the truth that the board was trying to hide which was that they were delaying the talks because they don't want to offer him a new contract. There is nothing truthful or sincere in this offer from the board..

Just to be clear, players should absolutely have the right to give a club an ultimatum for knowing their future by Jan/Feb so they have time to plan their next move. It's incredibly dickish from clubs to delay the decision about their futures till the last minute because ultimately they are employees who will be seeking new jobs with families who might have to resettle. 

-TalkChelsea-JOHN TERRY’S STORY SO FAR

It was announced today that John Terry will be offered a new one year contract at the club- here is the story of his long and prosperous career so far.

The Break-Through

In  1998 John Terry made his debut against Aston Villa, coming on as a substitute. Shortly after that he made his first start for the Blues against Oldham Athletic in a FA cup match.

Shortly after the Millennium Terry started to make a name for himself and became a regular in the first team. In the 2000-2001 season Terry earned 23 starts for Chelsea and even won Chelsea’s player of the year award.

In the following season Terry continued his progress and formed a solid partnership with Marcel Desailly.

Achieving Greatness

After Terry’s first 3/4 seasons he established himself as one of the best defenders in the world. Terry managed to become a the starting CB in the 2004 England Euro’s squad after an impressive debut in the summer of 2003.

Shortly after the Euros, Terry achieved the ultimate award- the Premier League. He led the Chelsea team to two consecutive titles in 2005 and 2006 and while doing this the Chelsea team broke the record for best Defensive Record in Football League history.

However before John Terry could achieve greatness he had to overcome some devastating injuries. After having surgery on his back he was out of the Chelsea squad for 3 months. Terry then suffered even more injuries including a broken foot, Dislocated elbow and concussion.

Despite Terry’s injuries he fought hard and was able to lead Chelsea to a league cup, FA cup and Champions League Semi-Final. He then went on to have some great performances for England- playing in the 2006 World Cup, 2010 World Cup and Euro 2012.

European Success

In 2008 Terry was the Captain of the team that made it to the Champions League final. He missed a crucial penalty in the game which led him to break down into tears. Although he did win European defender of the year that season.

Since that failure in the Champions League final Terry has been part of teams that have made it to the later stages of the competition numerous times.

In 2012 Chelsea made it to the Champions League final and won- However Terry was suspended for the game… although this didn’t stop him turning up in full kit and joining in the celebration

Becoming a Chelsea legend

As Terry progressed into his 30’s the trophies and awards where still rolling in. He continued to Captain Chelsea and won hundreds of games with us. In 2014 Terry captained Chelsea for the 500th time in his career- an achievement that very few players have accomplished.

Terry also led Chelsea to two more Premier League victories. Making him one of Chelsea’s and the Premier League’s biggest legends ever.

Here are the trophies he has won over his long and prosperous career:

the Premier League(x4)
the FA Cup(x5)
the League Cup(x3)
the Community Shield(x2)
the Champions league(x1)
the Europa league(x1)

What next?

Terry now has a very big decision to make. To accept his contract and potentially retire with Chelsea or move elsewhere and end his career somewhere like China or the USA. The 35 year old now has a chance to add to his amazing 703 appearances. Whatever happens- the Chelsea faithful will always respect and love John Terry for his contribution to CFC.

talkchelsea.net

32 minutes ago, Captain Ahmed said:

Mail Online-Chelsea must look to keep John Terry for 10 years... clubs should be doing everything to ensure their legends safeguard the future by Jamie Carragher

I like to see Chelsea do what Barcelona did with pep keep JT at the club let him manage the youth team till he's ready to Take over has Chelsea 1st team manager

4 minutes ago, the wes said:

I like to see Chelsea do what Barcelona did with pep keep JT at the club let him manage the youth team till he's ready to Take over has Chelsea 1st team manager

Personally, I find Frankie Lampard  the most adequate person to manage the youth team.JT is more for the business things (technical director,etc...).

19 minutes ago, CHOULO19 said:

No, the fans want JT to stay as anyone on the planet would know. The fans did not force the club to make an insincere offer as a PR stunt to force JT to chose either between his income or his status among the fans. If they want to let go of the biggest legend in the history of the club, let them face the consequences of that with the fans instead of this cowardly PR crap... 

How do we know that this is an insincere offer, because for now no one knows the details of the deal.

And if it is reduced wages and a reduced role, what is wrong with this? Are you telling me that a 36 year old John Terry is who we should build our defence around? And for the last decade he has been paid as one of, if not our best paid player, he cannot justify those wages going forward. 

United's players like Scholes and Giggs took similar deals year on year, well paid but not one of the top earners and limited roles. Is Terry above a deal like this?

Might sound harsh but terry is the least of our worries going into next season. I don't personally feel him being here or not will make much of a difference, if any, to how strong we'll be. We need strengthening in midfield and defence, and terry is an aging cb who could end up hindering us more than anything next season. 

8 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

How do we know that this is an insincere offer, because for now no one knows the details of the deal.

From the fact that the club went against its own policy of negotiating contracts in private and made, for the first time I can remember, an announcement that a player has been offered a new contract. The aim is obviously to shift the public pressure on JT and not to make a genuine offer.

But is there a chance that the offer is sincere. Yeah, of course, and I hope more than anything that it is. But based on the manner and timing, I'd say that is INCREDIBLY unlikely.

13 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

And if it is reduced wages and a reduced role, what is wrong with this? Are you telling me that a 36 year old John Terry is who we should build our defence around? And for the last decade he has been paid as one of, if not our best paid player, he cannot justify those wages going forward. 

United's players like Scholes and Giggs took similar deals year on year, well paid but not one of the top earners and limited roles. Is Terry above a deal like this?

As I've already said in the original post you quoted, this is NOT the point:

1 hour ago, CHOULO19 said:

1 minute ago, CHOULO19 said:

From the fact that the club went against its own policy of negotiating contracts in private and made, for the first time I can remember, an announcement that a player has been offered a new contract. The aim is obviously to shift the public pressure on JT and not to make a genuine offer.

But is there a chance that the offer is sincere. Yeah, of course, and I hope more than anything that it is. But based on the manner and timing, I'd say that is INCREDIBLY unlikely.

As I've already said in the original post you quoted, this is NOT the point:

You're contradicting yourself though because on one instance you're complaining that the offer the club has made isn't genuine or sincere, but on the other hand you're saying being given lower wages or reduced role isn't the point. But what else is going to make the offer seem like a throwaway offer that isn't genuine.

If it's about making the contract offer public, people have panned the club both supporters and the media for being too private and not making any public announcements about Terry's future. Now they have, they're getting moaned at again. They can't win with this unless Terry accepts their offer.

48 minutes ago, CHOULO19 said:

One crucial difference: JT was telling the truth that the board was trying to hide which was that they were delaying the talks because they don't want to offer him a new contract. There is nothing truthful or sincere in this offer from the board..

Just to be clear, players should absolutely have the right to give a club an ultimatum for knowing their future by Jan/Feb so they have time to plan their next move. It's incredibly dickish from clubs to delay the decision about their futures till the last minute because ultimately they are employees who will be seeking new jobs with families who might have to resettle. 

I think you're letting sentiment cloud your judgement on this Choulo. You're looking at this from Terry's perspective and only from Terry's perspective.

You look at what the board does in an extremely cynical way (board is lying) while looking at what Terry does in an extremely naive and gullible way ( Terry tells the truth).

I mean how do you know the club don't want to offer him a contract ? Their decision to wait until the new manager came in was a very reasonable one.

"There is nothing truthful or sincere in this offer from the board.." How do you know this ?

Yes they do have that right but i understand the club not being able to give a conclusive answer at that time(January).

They didn't know at the time who our manager would be so how could they possibly know if our future manager wanted Terry let alone what role he would play if they did.

Conte was confirmed as our manager on the 4th of april. It's now 13th of may. That's less then 6 weeks. I don't think that's an unreasonable amount of time for a new manager to get his bearings, evaluate the squad, talk to the backroom staff, the players and talk to the board about how much money he has to spend while also looking what's available on the transfermarket. All of this needed to be done before he could make an informed decision on whether or not he wanted Terry around.

I just don't see any reason to be upset about this. To me the board's stance on this matter is a very reasonable one.

They offered him a contract whether he takes it or not is up to him.

1 minute ago, Superblue_1986 said:

You're contradicting yourself though because on one instance you're complaining that the offer the club has made isn't genuine or sincere, but on the other hand you're saying being given lower wages or reduced role isn't the point. But what else is going to make the offer seem like a throwaway offer that isn't genuine.

If it's about making the contract offer public, people have panned the club both supporters and the media for being too private and not making any public announcements about Terry's future. Now they have, they're getting moaned at again. They can't win with this unless Terry accepts their offer.

What would make the offer genuine is offering it 5 months ago when JT was telling the club he needs to know so he can sort out his future.

What would make it genuine is not making an announcement about making him an offer 2 days before the end of the season when they don't even make announcement about new signings until hours after it is made official by the media.

They aren't announcing the contract offer because they want to let the fans and the public know what is happening and what they thinking. Till Wednesday they weren't even letting JT know anything about that! :lol:

Also, there is a question of what can be considered a reasonable pay-cut, like the one he took last season from 175K to 150K, and what would be completely unreasonable like cutting his wages by like 50%. If that is the case here then obviously the offer would not be genuine. 

14 minutes ago, CHOULO19 said:

Also, there is a question of what can be considered a reasonable pay-cut, like the one he took last season from 175K to 150K, and what would be completely unreasonable like cutting his wages by like 50%. If that is the case here then obviously the offer would not be genuine. 

Sorry but i disagree. 150 k/week is a lot of money. 4 th highest at the club.

He's likely going to be our 3rd choice cb (maybe even our 4 th choice) next season. There's no way he should be earning anything above £100 k a week next season.

For me 70-90 k is perfectly fine for a squad player.

I think it's a little premature saying "the board's offer is insincere." we don't even know the details of the new contract.
Is it a possibility? Yes, of course it is,it would not be a surprise, but we don't know it for certain.
The timing is a little bit embarrassing, could've been done earlier and set everyone's mind at ease.
Also would earning 75k a week, as a 4th choice cb, be too much of a pay-cut? I don't really think so.
The real dick move is cancelling the farewell party. Bloody cheap bastard didn't want to spend money on a proper cake.