John Terry

DavidEU

He's absolutely gone and I don't blame him. The offer was nothing but to placate the supporters to prevent a protest at the awards dinner, ensure ST renewals and try to avert a supporter rebellion come Sunday.

This is the 5th time we've let a recent legend leave under the very least less than ideal circumstances and perhaps this is the biggest slap in the face of them all to probably our greatest ever player.

Disgusting.

The board gave him the offer one day before awards, and probably a very lame one at that. That cancelled the goodbye party that Terry deserved, but the offer itself was probably so bad that Terry wont accept it and still leave without proper ending. Club will now just make JT look like less loyal, we realy dont know how to deal with legends that deserve alot more respect.

While the board gave Terry another contract, they done it in absolutely disgusting way IMO.

Hopefully JT still accepts it and gets proper goodbye next season.

Maybe an unpopular opinion but for me Terry is to blame here since the moment  he publicly adressed his contract situation. You're a professional footballer who earns a lot of money a week. You're job is not to discuss things like this in the media and basically bash your employers.

Our board maybe pricks but he's Chelsea since he was born basically, so must he knew this was going to hurt the club's image even more after the terrible season we've had. They did the right thing by returning the favor to him and now the ball's in his corner.

And didn't he say like 2 years ago or something that he will cut half of his wages if he must to stay at Chelsea until the end of his career?

If Contes feels he can do his job without him, then so be it.

1 hour ago, BlueLyon said:

The board gave him the offer one day before awards, and probably a very lame one at that. That cancelled the goodbye party that Terry deserved, but the offer itself was probably so bad that Terry wont accept it and still leave without proper ending. Club will now just make JT look like less loyal, we realy dont know how to deal with legends that deserve alot more respect.

While the board gave Terry another contract, they done it in absolutely disgusting way IMO.

Hopefully JT still accepts it and gets proper goodbye next season.

Drogba left like a legend. Two times.

Maybe it's because he didn't play politics with the club...

EDITORIALS:Chelsea FC salvage John Terry situation expertly

Chelsea FC officials have done an expert job in salvaging the crisis surrounding John Terry and his contract extension to stay at Stamford Bridge.The decision is firmly in John Terry’s court. Chelsea FC announced on Friday that they had finally tendered a one-year contract extension to the club captain. With that, the Blues officials have done an expert job in placating the fans while also getting what they want out of the situation.Taking to Instagram shortly after the news was made public, Terry stated that the club had offered to keep him, but in a ‘different role’.It is reasonably clear that the Stamford Bridge brass are not overly keen on having Terry take a spot in next season’s playing squad. It is yet unclear what this alternative role is, but it is safe to assume that it would see Terry in the background.

The club captain has been with Chelsea since he was fourteen years of age. As a result, the footballing world was in uproar when he revealed that management had not offered him an extension. There was little to indicate that one was forthcoming and thus this news has come as a surprise.According to reports, the offer was made on Wednesday after a meeting involving the player, his agent and key officials such as Marina Granovskaia. Evidently, the terms of the deal are striking enough that Terry needs to consider it. He has repeatedly stated his desire to stay at Stamford Bridge, but the capacity which he is being asked to be fulfilled is testing his commitment.The Blues brass have essentially turned this situation on its head. They have made clear that they are willing to keep Terry in West London and whether he stays or not is now down to the player himself.The majority of fans are calling upon the defender to sign the contract (although POL Staff Writer Brendan McDonnell believes otherwise). If he opts to pass on the opportunity, it has nothing to do with a lack of cooperation from management.The key is that very few would argue that Terry should be maintained as a regular first-team player. The idea behind the Englishman staying is for him to assist Antonio Conte as he takes over and act as a dressing room leader. Furthermore, with the abundance of young talent, defensive or otherwise, the veteran would impart his wisdom as they are bled into the senior squad.

The club have probably ensured that the contract involves him being an active player, but in a backup role. If they wanted Terry solely as a coach, Chelsea would have offered him a deal that lasted longer than one-year.Granovskaia, Michael Emenalo and their friends have expertly salvaged what was an ugly situation. Announcing this before the club’s final game against Leicester City is also a smart ploy that should negate the planned protests.The offer is there. If Terry is not at Stamford Bridge next season, the fans will only be able to blame him.

The Pride of London

Zlatan is the ultimate mercenary in modern football and even though he spent only 4 seasons at PSG, he received a proper tribute by the club.

No matter how the situation with Terry's contract will unfold, the manner the board have dealt with this is nothing short of disgraceful. The sort of mistake that should force someone to resign/ to be fired in the administrative part of the club. 

8 hours ago, !Hazard! said:

Zlatan is the ultimate mercenary in modern football and even though he spent only 4 seasons at PSG, he received a proper tribute by the club.

No matter how the situation with Terry's contract will unfold, the manner the board have dealt with this is nothing short of disgraceful. The sort of mistake that should force someone to resign/ to be fired in the administrative part of the club. 

Wow. So we're blaming the board for Terry getting suspended now? He absolutely would have gotten a proper tribute if he was available.

How do we know the contract offer for Terry is a poor one?
 By the way, bar changing the back line I don't think we have much choice but to build the back line around Terry. All our other CB pairings aside from Zouma/Cahill-Terry look clueless; Azpilicueta looks out of place at right back, and Ivanovic is neither a leader nor a pace monster. My personal opinion is that the club will let him go if anybody comes calling this summer if Terry signs.

Not to mention the benefits of his presence to the squad and the youth.

He will play his heart out so if anything appearance-based bonuses might just increase his fire.

1 hour ago, Styles said:

Wow. So we're blaming the board for Terry getting suspended now? He absolutely would have gotten a proper tribute if he was available.

Classic John Terry, an undoubted legend for what he's done on the pitch for us but scarcely does that come without controversy. Whether he's getting himself suspended for important finals, having extra-marital affairs etc there's always something.

After going public about his contract situation he's got the year-extension he's wanted. Did he think the terms were going to be absolute of what they have been previously? Of course not. The club were clearly reluctant to offer anything which was wrong but now an offer's there and suddenly we're having an issue of how that itself may not be good enough? 

Idk, maybe it's because i'm fed up of all this politics the club plays internally from board to players. The way I see it now, if he signs then he'll prove all this mr chelsea shit, if he goes then we know it's clearly not about staying at chelsea, more so staying on terms that suit him. 

21 hours ago, Ledgi said:

Maybe an unpopular opinion but for me Terry is to blame here since the moment  he publicly adressed his contract situation. You're a professional footballer who earns a lot of money a week. You're job is not to discuss things like this in the media and basically bash your employers.

I don't blame him so much for going public to be honest. He clearly saw the Lampard situation first time around and saw the fans basically got him that final extension and the same has happened this season (so much for we don't have a voice huh? lol). But if he's then not going to sign on, well hey what the hell do you want JT?

Let's hope we won't have to go through this whole speculation and he will sign.

I don't suppose it matters what sort of contract he gets, or what participation he's guaranteed for next season (first starter or not).. in the long run, it's going to help the younger generation a major deal since we'll still have a man who can inspire them. 

I'd love to listen to Ruben/JCS/Colkett/Abraham saying that they were able to find their place at the club because of its decision to keep hold of a legend, and be inspired by him.

If I was him I'd fuck club off and walk away. If anyone would said to me that I'm past it after playing every minute of every match in title winning season and point to me that this season just shows my age when whole club was awful and almost each and every player was sub-par, I'd leave and make a fortune elsewhere.

That's my personal opinion, if JT takes whatever he was offered but with footnote that he will be part time player for no reason, then he is really emotion driven man with this club and true legend because I'd refuse.

And BTW why Barzagli just signed a new 2 year contract with Juventus ? He is Terry age, 35, yet he was rewarded for his services with a 2 year deal. Buffon as well. Yet Chelsea are set stoned to keep this one year policy. Juve was relegated 10 years ago, and back2back seven in the league before Conte arrived in 2011, now they look wonderful football family with the new stadium, everyone cares for each other while Chelsea couldn't look much more corpo even if they tried.