John Terry

DavidEU

1 minute ago, Melanicus said:

This could be an interesting power play right... Chelsea announce on twitter they offered Terry a 1 year contract, likely at a greatly diminished wage. Terry all along likely hasnt wanted to sign at such a low price, but now that it is public how can he not accept?

They're getting him back for his public condemning of the club over not offering him anything. I strongly suspect the deal is a tough one for him (low wages/no playing time) which he might want to reject, therefore deflecting blame for him leaving off the club and onto him.  Anyone else think this is a possible scenario?

Then again this could be bollocks and i hope he does stay, if only to oversee the transition to Conte, and bringing the youth in.

Yes, this is definitely possible, it wouldn't surprise me one bit.
In this case the club would come out "clean" at least in the eyes of those who don't follow closely.
Although if this is the case, why don't do it earlier and cancel the supposed "farewell party"
Now it's up to JT to sing the deal up. Fingers crossed.

You can do nothing but respect him, but a time has to come when we must look forward as a club. The club have put things in his hands now, let's see what happens, but no matter what he says we need to start looking past John Terry.

Things like this shouldnt be out in the public before anything really has been decided but I can totally understand why the club put it public like this. When JT did just the same a couple of months ago he put alot of pressure on the club.  Atleast now we know he has an offer altough with some compromises. Id love it if he's here next season aswell but I would understand if he wants to keep playing more regulary in a club abroad. 

of course it's a different role on different wages... he's current role was key player with wages prob only below Hazard's.

Would it be fair to the other players, actually doing the playing, if a guy sitting on the bench makes more money than they do? Only to mention one of the potential issues.

To be honest, I can understand both sides; especially considering the Lampard debacle 2 years ago.

I think a fair offer though is a squad player combined with a coaching role, but we don't know what Conte wants...and I know I don't want Conte to feel restricted in his role.

Also, I'd never hold it against Terry if he declines any offer; he will never play for another PL club.