The Conte Thread

3 hours ago, Henrique said:

Most of this post doesn't make any sense. First, the formation is not 3-4-3, its 3-6-1, and while the team suffered "huge pressure" even in games with positive results: 1st half against Spurs months ago, and first 55 minutes of that game against City, today wasn't a game the team suffered "huge pressure". Even 2-0 defeat to Spurs weeks ago came after two defensive mistakes. Spurs never made "huge pressure". So this post doesn't reflect the match I saw, and your negative post (with that bold IF) also doesn't reflect the current table and the team's momentum.

Its really weird posts like this are becoming popular in this forum.

3-4-3 or 3-6-1, it doesn't matter. The point is we only have 2 midfielders in there and I wasn't only talking about the game yesterday or the one at Spurs. It's the recent games - Hull, Stoke, Brentford etc. Sure, we may have won those games but we struggled to control those games and could have easily not won had the opposing teams have more quality.

And sorry, I didn't know I have to ask your permission on how or what I want to convey in my posts, Mr Not-So-Weird. :lol:

3 hours ago, Henrique said:

Okay, so Conte wasn't supposed to sub Hazard, who put his worst performance this season, because, you know, a penalty is always on the cards...

I really hate agreeing with you but I agree with you. 

14 minutes ago, Polo7 said:

I really hate agreeing with you but I agree with you. 

Funny thing is even Hazard himself has missed penalties before and I remember when it first happened for us, there was an outrage over it. Maybe Hazard's more likely to convert it had he been on the pitch but there was no guarantee that would have happened.

On 5/27/2016 at 7:19 PM, Ledgi said:

I don't see why you are so pessimistic.

This time last year this was a title-winning squad. It just need a few improvements and to be taken to the right direction.

Maybe I over-exaggerate about title contenders but to no to be in top 4? Leicester and Tottenham overachieved last season and I doubt they'll be in the same positions they were last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking at my old saved bookmarks and came upon on this little gem.

Knew I saved for a reason. :) Guess things does look good right now?

Seriously hope I will not jinx it. :D

50 minutes ago, Jason said:

Don't want to jinx it but this highlights the job that Conte's doing...

Arsenal have two points too much as they shouldn't have won that home game against Burnley recently. That game proved what's wrong with refereeing these days.  

15 hours ago, Jason said:

I know the 3-4-3 has gotten us results over the last few months but can't quite understand Conte's reluctance to switch to 3-5-2 in the big games. We have seen the side getting overrun and coming under huge pressure in matches and he's always brought on Fabregas and every time, we've seen him help us control the games better and even start to create some really good opportunities. So I don't get why Conte doesn't go with that from the start? There's no point playing 3 upfront if the guys behind them can't keep possession and create any chances.

On a slightly more positive note, this squad has so many flaws and it needs some serious operation if we are to challenge big time again in Europe, never mind the Premier League. But somehow despite the flaws, Conte has managed to build a strong unit to challenge for the title and sit 9 points clear after 23 games. IF we do end up winning the league, we should consider building a statue of him outside the Bridge.

Conte has basically set up a system and squad mentality that is mince meat for teams outside the top six, compare to the likes of Benitez, Wenger, Klopp, Ancelotti and you could even argue current day Mourinho who allow complacency to creep in which means a lot of games against the lesser sides especially away are made more difficult than they should be. Look at how Arsenal turned up last night all relaxed like they had a right to beat Watford, that would NEVER happen under Antonio. The Italian takes Hull at home as serious as Liverpool at Anfield, if not more so, and when you play the lesser sides and match their motivation and commitment to the occasion 19 times out of 20 you will beat them.

Tevez said Conte shares alarming similarities to Fergie, and while we unfortunately are unlikely to get 26 years and 13 titles out of Antonio, it's quite clear why Tevez has that view.

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

Conte has basically set up a system and squad mentality that is mince meat for teams outside the top six, compare to the likes of Benitez, Wenger, Klopp, Ancelotti and you could even argue current day Mourinho who allow complacency to creep in which means a lot of games against the lesser sides especially away are made more difficult than they should be. Look at how Arsenal turned up last night all relaxed like they had a right to beat Watford, that would NEVER happen under Antonio. The Italian takes Hull at home as serious as Liverpool at Anfield, if not more so, and when you play the lesser sides and match their motivation and commitment to the occasion 19 times out of 20 you will beat them.

Tevez said Conte shares alarming similarities to Fergie, and while we unfortunately are unlikely to get 26 years and 13 titles out of Antonio, it's quite clear why Tevez has that view.

I don't question Conte's winning mentality. It's the reason why he was so successful with Juventus and Italy. In fact, I'm extremely pleased to have a manager with this mentality and it's arguably the main reason why we are where we are now. I just question his inability, might be the wrong way of putting it but I think you get the point, to perhaps tweak the formation to give us more control of matches and not coming under heavy pressure, like I explained to Henrique (see below). I'm just concerned this will come back to bite us in a key moment/important game in the run-in.

7 hours ago, Jason said:

3-4-3 or 3-6-1, it doesn't matter. The point is we only have 2 midfielders in there and I wasn't only talking about the game yesterday or the one at Spurs. It's the recent games - Hull, Stoke, Brentford etc. Sure, we may have won those games but we struggled to control those games and could have easily not won had the opposing teams have more quality.

7 hours ago, Peace. said:

Playing Azpilicueta at RWB would be a terrible mistake.

Azpilicueta is a quite good passer of the ball for a ("central") defender — yet he would be a very bad passer for a midfielder. Additionally, Zouma is a terrible passer of the ball (whatever his position).

The best thing produced by Conte's shift from a four-men defense to a three-men defense is that it has allowed to play Azpilicueta next to Luiz ; meaning we have, out of three defenders, two who are able to participate to the game construction, and more importantly who are able to start our offensives (or the building up). This has been critical to our success — just has it is critical for all the best teams out of there (Barça, Madrid, Juve, Munich, etc.). Leaving out (of the defense) Azpilicueta for Zouma would just undo all the good work Conte has done and we would be back to square one : a defense that has little usefulness when we are in possession of the ball — and no, one player (Luiz) out of three is not enough.

Not only this move would worsen our defense but it would also worsen our midfield. Our biggest weakness over the last seasons (especially under Mourinho) has been the lack of ability on the ball displayed by our midfielders. Actually, this is by far our biggest weakness today. Do you imagine a midfield composed of : Alonso - Matic - Kante - Azpilicueta ? Oh my Goodness, it would be a sore to the eyes. Moses is not Iniesta neither I am his biggest fan, but in all seriousness, he is technically better equipped to play in midfield than Azpilicueta is.

We do not need more denfensive quality — we do need more offensive quality. If people are so obsessed with Azpilicueta lack of aerial ability, then the solution is in front of him ! Why are opponent players are allowed to take in good crosses ? This is the real problem !

And to be honest, with the players we have at our disposal, this is the best we can produce and there is little room — nay none — for improvement. The only change of (positive) significance we probably could make would be to play Fabregas instead of Matic — that is, an offensive change. Otherwise, we will have to wait for the summer transfer window for any major change ; and even then if you bench one of our defender, it has to be Cahill and not Azpilicueta (playing the spaniard as a CB as been the best move that Conte has made so far). To play Zouma in defense while shifting Azpilicueta to midfield would actually be more problematic than going for the ultra defensive approach that Mourinho mark II adopted in his first two seasons, respectively after Stoke and after Tottenham — funnily enough, this is once again after a defeat against Tottenham at their ground and on the very same date (two or three days of difference) that people started to advocate for an ultra defensive move.

P.S. On top of that, Azpilicueta is significantly a better defender than Zouma, the latter being better than the former only in the aerial aspect... which is a very meager upside in comparison to the many downsides.

So I see that your not a big fan of Zouma. Good me neither, he never had a good passing range. And if we want to be elite in the CL we have to move away from these type of defenders. I guess Zouma can be good to have to shut down shop. But definitely should not be ahead of DL and Azpi. 

Now I'm interested since most of us agreed that Cahill needs to be upgraded, what is your thoughts on Ake? Do you think he has a shot in his position?

And what are we going to do with Andreas next season? 

I do like to give a chance to this younger players but I would still advocate to buy at least one experienced CB like virgil Van Dijk or someone from the Serie A that Conte likes.