test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Parky

Tactics/Formations thread

Started by Parky,

136 posts in this topic

Back 3 would be suicide in England I think, you lose a bit of protection in the wings when you have a wing back on each side and 3 center backs as opposed to a full back and a winger in front on each side. Look at when United played it last year, the amount of space out wide that was left for opposition teams to exploit.

Just imagine if you could play 6 Defenders I would go with something like this.

My Formation : 6-1-2-1

6 - DEFENDERS

1 - IN FRONT OF THE DEFENDERS and BEHIND MIDFIELDERS

2 - MIDFIELDERS

1 - STRIKER

----- GOALKEEPER -----

-- DEFENDER 1 -- DEFENDER 2 -- DEFENDER 3 -- DEFENDER 4 -- DEFENDER 5 -- DEFENDER 6 --

-- 1 DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDER BEHIND MIDFIELDERS DEFENDING MIDDLE CENTER OF THE DEFENDERS --

-- MIDFIELDER 1 -- MIDFIELDER 2 --

-- 1 CENTRE FORWARD STRIKER --

I think that we should give it a try at least. It would be also fairly easy (although probably chaotic in real life) to switch to a 4-3-3 within a game. This way our wings would have two players on either side giving good width as well as speed and skill to our attacking play. I might work or it might not but one thing that formation does need is a more ball-playing centreback. Stones would be very good option for that and together with Azpilicueta and Zouma he would form a stable defensive department (at least on paper). Hazard and Pedro would be allowed to get more forward instead of playing that wingback role they are doing right now. Oscar and Matic would give good workrate as well as decent/good link-up play and passing down the middle. This 3-4-3 is also the formation that Pep Guardiola prefers from time to time and there is a reason for that for sure. Willian could also move to other side giving way to Jose's best buddy Ivanovic on the right wingback position.

Hazard Costa Pedro

Baba Matic Oscar Willian

Azpi Cahill Zouma

Courtois

zolayes and laura90 like this

Jose would NEVER start with a back 3 not even 3 5 2 let alone 3 4 3 ,, it is only his last resort tactic when we are chasing a lost cause

Well if Jose doesn't improve our attacking play IMMENSELY he is going to feel Abra's shoe on his arse :halo: He has failed to bring up the youth, he failed at CL last season, only won the league thanks to one player whilst playing appalling football and now he cannot even do the one thing he usually does which is bringing home results. In fact, ever since he has tried to play more offensively our team has looked like Sheffield Wednesday. And this is not a new problem because the signs where there already last season in games against Everton, Spurs and even against the damn Newcastle. He does not seem to be able to build a functioning attacking team without making the defence miserable. 3-4-3 might actually make team more compact on the pitch while allowing our attacking players to shine. He has probably the 5th best squad on the planet in his hands and he should be able to deliver according to the squad's potential. Maybe he is just too stubborn to realize any of this...

mccg and zolayes like this

Keeper

---Cahill Zouma Terry

Azpil-----------------Baba

---------- Matic

Willian--- Hazard--- Kennedy

Costa

Azpil&Baba with youth and energy would give natural width down both flanks,leaving Hazard free to play a free role behind the striker seems like the best option imho.

you seen how many goals we are letting in at the moment, 3 at the back would be suicide

you seen how many goals we are letting in at the moment, 3 at the back would be suicide

atm we are playing ONE at the back ,, still will be ok when brana gets back

3 centre backs with Azpil&Baba as lb/lwb rb/rwbs with a dm sitting in front.

Jose would NEVER start with a back 3 not even 3 5 2 let alone 3 4 3 ,, it is only his last resort tactic when we are chasing a lost cause

not true. his last resort is to put kenedy as a LB rather than actually change the formation.

4-2-3-1 has held us back long enough, (I would like to see anyone argue for it)

when you look at the midfielders our club possesses- Ramires, Fabregas, Matic , Mikel. All of them seem adapted for a 3 man midfield. I see no combinaition of these 4, which isn't lacking in either speed, passing ability, strength or something else. I have no idea why Mourinho puts these guys in a 2. Makes no sense to me.

It seems like he can't be arsed to think up a different formation. I would understand if we had some glorious #10, but we don't , we sold those guys and are left with oscar.

1371857_Chelsea.jpg

1371858_Chelsea.jpg

something like this would be my choice

4-2-3-1 has held us back long enough, (I would like to see anyone argue for it)

when you look at the midfielders our club possesses- Ramires, Fabregas, Matic , Mikel. All of them seem adapted for a 3 man midfield. I see no combinaition of these 4, which isn't lacking in either speed, passing ability, strength or something else. I have no idea why Mourinho puts these guys in a 2. Makes no sense to me.

It seems like he can't be arsed to think up a different formation. I would understand if we had some glorious #10, but we don't , we sold those guys and are left with oscar.

1371857_Chelsea.jpg

1371858_Chelsea.jpg

something like this would be my choice

I would be willing to see either tried

or even 3 5 2 . FUCK this double pivot shit

lucio likes this

This is how I would make use of our current squad. Ideally we would already have Stones and Varane at our disposal, they are here to improve the agility and speed of our defense.

The problem with our current squad is more of mentality and morale issue. After a disastrous beginning of the season and having a vulnerable defense most of the time, most seems to lose their appetite to play in a high level.

We were used to be unbeatable, bear the spirit of steel. Now our players seem to embrace the underdog title. None of the elite clubs are consistent this season to be fair, and the issue I see is all are without a dominant defense strength.

In the past years, Chelsea forged that Maginot Line under captain JT, Manchester United under Vidic and Ferdinand, Manchester City under Kompany, Arsenal under Sol Campbell (sorry IMO Liverpool is missing a little to qualify), ACM under Maldini and Nesta, Juve under Cannavaro, Barca under Pique and Puyol. They are the foundation of all these past champions.

Of course they were helped by effective DM like Makelele, Keane, Viera and so on.

Last season, the combination of JT, Cahill, Matic worked well. This season, the partnership is crippled by aging and fatigue.

So my focus would be rebuilding a dominant defense power, featuring the young Stones, Zouma, Varane, Azp. and led by the experienced veteran Cahill. This line should possess enough strength, speed, talent and passion to be the new almighty shield. Once we got a reliable defense, our talented attackers and Fabregas should be able to refocus on winning the game, rather than much distracted like this season.

Costa is our new Drogba/Aguero/Ibrahimovic. Oscar can be groomed to be our Modric/Iniesta. Hazard is our Ronaldo/Bale/Messi. Fabregas is our Xavi. We certainly have enough talent in our attacking force. And then Courtois will be our new Cech/Casillas/Buffon/De Gea for sure.

Under the same formation, if Isco is available in the next transfer window, I will get him to compete with Oscar. It's good to have Lukaku back, problem is he's not gonna sit on the bench for long yet it doesn't make sense to sacrifice Costa for him. So I don't see him coming back to Bridge anytime soon. Kenedy is just a temporary patch on the defense, but he is more of an attacker. We have yet to see Pato in action, however should he be able to recover his best form, he's going to be a killer inside forward. Cuadrado might still be a hidden gem, IMO it's still too early to write him off. And it's always good to have Pogba, but we have to be realistic considering we are not playing in the CL next season.

Side note: I am a long time Football Manager player, by no means I am a football professional. This formation is very effective in FM, whether it's going to work in real life is beyond me to discuss.

2.jpg

1.jpg

Let's be realistic Everton have just been half bought out so are on the up Real Madrid are possibly in the top 4 squads on earth why the hell would stones and Verane leave to come to us?

We need a killer of a dm I would say William carvalho or someone with long legs a bit viera like unless it's gonna be someone like makelele with precision positional awareness also I agree with sideshow above Oscar is no where near iniesta quality he's been pretty poor this year last season he was a monster in hassling teams and making em panic and make mistakes I think up to Xmas oscar had the most interceptions in Europe, another thing was Costa last season just used to hoof the ball first time and used to catch the gk out most of the time this season he runs up the left channel and stops at the 18 yard line and steps in slows off and loses possession last year he would just smash it first time dunno what's up

A mate told me abramovich promised him when Jose got dropped he could leave and go back to Madrid if he scores a certain amount of goals and he's pulled he's socks up

On 3/14/2016 at 7:08 PM, d4nth3m4n1985 said:

Let's be realistic Everton have just been half bought out so are on the up Real Madrid are possibly in the top 4 squads on earth why the hell would stones and Verane leave to come to us?

We ideally already have them before this season even started, not that we would get them now. And before Zidane came up for the post Varane was actually having limited chances in RM, for certain players this is something unbearable. Why would Higuain left for Napoli, who thinks Napoli was much better than those all long elite clubs then?

This entire season is in chaos, probably the only player worth mentioning is Willian and all the youngsters. No offence but IMHO many fans (of all different clubs) these days are lack of patience, a club functions as a group. Once the system is broken, almost no one would be able to perform. And what we are going to see is just performance of frustration on the pitch. But we want immediate changes and effects, so the managers just come and go, not even Jose can help with that. Hazard plays like a cheap 5 million backup at the moment, but if I were a manager I am definitely keeping him, you don't find players of his calibre all the time. In our current squad it is not the problem of their ability but a confidence issue. A new idea in the tactic and to boost the morale is a more viable solution. We can easily throw anyone away, but lets see how Chicharito flourishes when he was sold by Man Utd., plenty of examples. If we were to sack any player, it has to be due to attitude problem. You see once Klopp is able to introduce his mentality into Liverpool, even that squad can do miracle. Maybe Conte would fix this squad, maybe he's the one to groom Oscar. I never said Oscar is Modric/Iniesta, but I did say he could be GROOMED. Reason being he's only 24, he has the time to achieve it still under the right coach. He has the skill and creativity, he's good on the one touch passing which can slice through opponent's defence, but he is pretty inconsistent and he has to do a lot on the defensive work plus so much of a broken squad performance this season. So that deters his progress to be a better player. He is not indispensable though. And these opinions on him more or less comes from the Football Manager's view of point.