Tactics/Formations thread

Parky

I agree with most of that post, however, here's what i'd change:
I would swap Ramires with Willian, and Willian with Oscar. Oscar takes Hazard spot, Hazard again o nthe left and Pedro back to the right. like this:

Diego

Hazard Oscar Pedro

Fabregas Matic Willian

If we'd play possession football, would be equally important to press high up the pitch to stop attacks way before they reach the defence (when possible) Oscar would be instrumental in that, and Willian would be a better option if we would want to start a counter attack while defending the left side.

Our left side would be weaker in defence, with Hazard and Fabregas there, so maybe when we are defending there, Willian could swap position with Fabregas and in this case Fabregas would have to start the counter.

Also the most important mistake you made, that should be punished without mercy: Azpi is 28 not 3 :D

I agree with most of that post, however, here's what i'd change:

I would swap Ramires with Willian, and Willian with Oscar. Oscar takes Hazard spot, Hazard again o nthe left and Pedro back to the right. like this:

Diego

Hazard Oscar Pedro

Fabregas Matic Willian

If we'd play possession football, would be equally important to press high up the pitch to stop attacks way before they reach the defence (when possible) Oscar would be instrumental in that, and Willian would be a better option if we would want to start a counter attack while defending the left side.

Our left side would be weaker in defence, with Hazard and Fabregas there, so maybe when we are defending there, Willian could swap position with Fabregas and in this case Fabregas would have to start the counter.

Also the most important mistake you made, that should be punished without mercy: Azpi is 28 not 3 :D

I'd give him number 3 :ph34r:

Back 3 would be suicide in England I think, you lose a bit of protection in the wings when you have a wing back on each side and 3 center backs as opposed to a full back and a winger in front on each side. Look at when United played it last year, the amount of space out wide that was left for opposition teams to exploit.

Just imagine if you could play 6 Defenders I would go with something like this.

My Formation : 6-1-2-1

6 - DEFENDERS

1 - IN FRONT OF THE DEFENDERS and BEHIND MIDFIELDERS

2 - MIDFIELDERS

1 - STRIKER

----- GOALKEEPER -----

-- DEFENDER 1 -- DEFENDER 2 -- DEFENDER 3 -- DEFENDER 4 -- DEFENDER 5 -- DEFENDER 6 --

-- 1 DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDER BEHIND MIDFIELDERS DEFENDING MIDDLE CENTER OF THE DEFENDERS --

-- MIDFIELDER 1 -- MIDFIELDER 2 --

-- 1 CENTRE FORWARD STRIKER --

I think that we should give it a try at least. It would be also fairly easy (although probably chaotic in real life) to switch to a 4-3-3 within a game. This way our wings would have two players on either side giving good width as well as speed and skill to our attacking play. I might work or it might not but one thing that formation does need is a more ball-playing centreback. Stones would be very good option for that and together with Azpilicueta and Zouma he would form a stable defensive department (at least on paper). Hazard and Pedro would be allowed to get more forward instead of playing that wingback role they are doing right now. Oscar and Matic would give good workrate as well as decent/good link-up play and passing down the middle. This 3-4-3 is also the formation that Pep Guardiola prefers from time to time and there is a reason for that for sure. Willian could also move to other side giving way to Jose's best buddy Ivanovic on the right wingback position.

Hazard Costa Pedro

Baba Matic Oscar Willian

Azpi Cahill Zouma

Courtois

Jose would NEVER start with a back 3 not even 3 5 2 let alone 3 4 3 ,, it is only his last resort tactic when we are chasing a lost cause

Well if Jose doesn't improve our attacking play IMMENSELY he is going to feel Abra's shoe on his arse :halo: He has failed to bring up the youth, he failed at CL last season, only won the league thanks to one player whilst playing appalling football and now he cannot even do the one thing he usually does which is bringing home results. In fact, ever since he has tried to play more offensively our team has looked like Sheffield Wednesday. And this is not a new problem because the signs where there already last season in games against Everton, Spurs and even against the damn Newcastle. He does not seem to be able to build a functioning attacking team without making the defence miserable. 3-4-3 might actually make team more compact on the pitch while allowing our attacking players to shine. He has probably the 5th best squad on the planet in his hands and he should be able to deliver according to the squad's potential. Maybe he is just too stubborn to realize any of this...

• 1 month later...

Keeper

---Cahill Zouma Terry

Azpil-----------------Baba

---------- Matic

Willian--- Hazard--- Kennedy

Costa

Azpil&Baba with youth and energy would give natural width down both flanks,leaving Hazard free to play a free role behind the striker seems like the best option imho.

Jose would NEVER start with a back 3 not even 3 5 2 let alone 3 4 3 ,, it is only his last resort tactic when we are chasing a lost cause

not true. his last resort is to put kenedy as a LB rather than actually change the formation.

• 4 weeks later...

4-2-3-1 has held us back long enough, (I would like to see anyone argue for it)

when you look at the midfielders our club possesses- Ramires, Fabregas, Matic , Mikel. All of them seem adapted for a 3 man midfield. I see no combinaition of these 4, which isn't lacking in either speed, passing ability, strength or something else. I have no idea why Mourinho puts these guys in a 2. Makes no sense to me.

It seems like he can't be arsed to think up a different formation. I would understand if we had some glorious #10, but we don't , we sold those guys and are left with oscar.

1371857_Chelsea.jpg

1371858_Chelsea.jpg

something like this would be my choice

4-2-3-1 has held us back long enough, (I would like to see anyone argue for it)

when you look at the midfielders our club possesses- Ramires, Fabregas, Matic , Mikel. All of them seem adapted for a 3 man midfield. I see no combinaition of these 4, which isn't lacking in either speed, passing ability, strength or something else. I have no idea why Mourinho puts these guys in a 2. Makes no sense to me.

It seems like he can't be arsed to think up a different formation. I would understand if we had some glorious #10, but we don't , we sold those guys and are left with oscar.

1371857_Chelsea.jpg

1371858_Chelsea.jpg

something like this would be my choice

I would be willing to see either tried

or even 3 5 2 . FUCK this double pivot shit