test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Jason

Kenedy

Started by Jason,

884 posts in this topic

He is a winger not LB. You can put many players to LB but they aint actual LB.

Barca deployed Pedro as RB too, saying Kenedy is most skillful LB is bit funny then.

But anyway despite good game, Im dissapointed we have a manager who plays promising winger as fucking fullback AND also leaves Azpi on bench.

About Kenedy, all respect to the lad. He doesnt complain, does his job. Realy good on the ball, overall raw player, but he has talent. And with his workrate, I have big trust for him.

Why does everyone tell me he is not a LB? I fucking know he is an inverted right winger/second striker which is why i wrote he should be tried higher up the field. Having been perfectly aware of his true position, being funny was exactly my intention when I made that 'skilfull LB' joke.

On a different note, I can see where Mou is coming from. Azpi's defensive prowess was not really be needed on the left vs NOrwich and as much as I like him, he is not that good offensively. Kenedy offered much more in that regard. However I also can not really retrace why he picked Ivanovic who was a liability as always but it did no harm yesterday. Probably some height + element of surprise reason.

Barbara likes this

I think Mourinho got it right with Kenedy. He wasn't supposed to attack much, but he still offered something more offensive than Azpili would. Like others, I'd rather play Azpili in the right and bench Iva if we're using a winger in the LB, but I think he wanted to count with Iva physicality, height and the old story we know. This is Mourinho after all, expecting him to play a winger as a FB (an attacking choice imo) AND drop Iva isn't realistic from our part.

People like Coentrao, Alba, Gaya and Marcelo began their careers in the 11 or the 9 position. So, what is the problem?

Kenedy looks promising, but he isn't a top tier prospect, in my opinion, so maybe he can develop a better career in another role.

I'm just speculating, obviously.

stroey, Azul, DYC. and 1 other like this

Was at the game and thought Kennedy held his own against a good england under 21 winger Redmond, it was nice to see someone bombing on past on the over lap and gave Hazard and willian extra options.

Even put a great ball into the box which Costa stood and watched while standing on the penalty spot.

Bosnian Blue and Amblève. like this

People like Coentrao, Alba, Gaya and Marcelo began their careers in the 11 or the 9 position. So, what is the problem?

Kenedy looks promising, but he isn't a top tier prospect, in my opinion, so maybe he can develop a better career in another role.

I'm just speculating, obviously.

the problem, is he has great shooting ability, and is going to be wasted in defence. i'd rather see him at lb, than the bench, but he looks better suited to our wing than pedro.

Can't we be happy that we have a young exciting prospect who can play more than one position? That we now have actual proof that Jose is in fact able to surprise us all, something we have been crying out for. That he is using the squad beyond the usual suspects. Since when is it so unusual for wingers to play wing-back anyway? Why all this over-analyzing? The kid got a great experience and we won, so we are ruining him? If anything he earned himself more game time by proving he can be good in more than one position and be useful tactically.

The more I think about it, the more I like what Jose did. It was VERY rare for him to make such a call in a premier league must-win game. It also shows that if you're good enough no matter your age, you will play.

this is anything but true with chelsea. kenedy is a multi million pound signing, he should be getting game time, on that count alone

this is anything but true with chelsea. kenedy is a multi million pound signing, he should be getting game time, on that count alone

You make "multimillion" sound a lot, but it was only £6.3 million. Everybody thought he would be another Piazon who was bought for roughly the same amount and who will never make it here. By that logic Baba should be an undisputed starter and so should have been Filipe Luis. It is peanuts, that kind of price tag doesn't guarantee you a minute and that is especially true in Chelsea, more often than not we dish out those sums for our loan army.

Barbara and stroey like this

You make "multimillion" sound a lot, but it was only £6.3 million. Everybody thought he would be another Piazon who was bought for roughly the same amount and who will never make it here. By that logic Baba should be an undisputed starter and so should have been Filipe Luis. It is peanuts, that kind of price tag doesn't guarantee you a minute and that is especially true in Chelsea, more often than not we dish out those sums for our loan army.

what i was trying to say, was, the only youngsters who get game time, are the ones invested in. (zouma, kenedy)

academy players get nothing. except on academy day. they might get 30 seconds vs a league 1 side.

didierforever and Gilvorak like this

Call me crazy but I actually liked the move to LB. It could turn out to be a stroke of genius or a complete & utter failure but for at least he's trying something new for once. A proper attacking fullback can impact games almost as much as wingers. Dani Alves, Alaba, Lahm, Marcelo, Maicon, Ashley Cole etc were all invaluable to their respective teams and the majority of them didn't even begin their careers at fullback.

I'm not not fully convinced by Kenedy as a winger. He lacks the close control, ball retention and passing abilities of Eden, Pedro & Willian at this stage of his career. You look at his strongest attributes pace, strength, workrate and maybe fullback would be the best position for him to play. His one-footedness & previously mentioned deficiencies would be less of a problem in that role. I mean at least he's getting game-time.

Maybe you are right in your conclusion that he might be better off as a fullback but I can't really retrace all the premises of your reasoning. How is he one-footed? Yesterday he shifted the ball on his weaker foot several times to gain an advantage and pulled off decent crosses/shots. Also the commentator said he was two-footed. I did not really see how strength is a major asset of his either. slightly below average in that regard irc, got bounced off the ball easily be Mulumbu on a few occasions. Then I would like to know how you obtained information abot Pedro & Willian's passing when they were 19. IMO his main attributes are dribbling, pace, shooting and workrate. However I agree with you that his lack of close control makes him an oddjob for attacking positions. Reminds me of myself. I also started of as an attacker with decent shooting, finishing, pace, size and strength but horrible technical side of the game. So I got gradually shifted backwards ending up at RB.

Łukasz Piszczek was playing as a striker by the age of 24. Then he was one of the best full-backs in the world. Just a food for thoughts.

Alba was a winger. Moved to LB after a two years in the first team I think. Now he's Barcelona's and Spain's fullback and a key player.

Don't understand some of the reactions. This is nothing new or innovative. It happens all the time. Never thought Mourinho would make such a move though. He likes a different type of fullback.

Agree with Gilvorak. Fullbacks can be very influential. I'm so tired of these technique-less defenders, lacking any true attacking nous or poise on the ball. Not to mention the lack of pace Chelsea have had for years in the backline.

kellzfresh, Tomo and Amblève. like this

Call me crazy but I actually liked the move to LB. It could turn out to be a stroke of genius or a complete & utter failure but for at least he's trying something new for once. A proper attacking fullback can impact games almost as much as wingers. Dani Alves, Alaba, Lahm, Marcelo, Maicon, Ashley Cole etc were all invaluable to their respective teams and the majority of them didn't even begin their careers at fullback.

I'm not not fully convinced by Kenedy as a winger. He lacks the close control, ball retention and passing abilities of Eden, Pedro & Willian at this stage of his career. You look at his strongest attributes pace, strength, workrate and maybe fullback would be the best position for him to play. His one-footedness & previously mentioned deficiencies would be less of a problem in that role. I mean at least he's getting game-time.

i would agree, if pedro was impressing me

nyikolajevics likes this

i would agree, if pedro was impressing me

Pedro hasn't been great but he does the basics well at least. I just liked the fact there was fluidity in attack for once and no broken down plays on that left hand side. This discussion is irrelevant anyway, this experiment won't last long.

dimmas likes this

Exactly this. He provided so much width and attacking play that I've not seen from ivanovic or azpi for a long time. And he has the speed and energy of a proper full-back. He did better than baba imo.

I'm not against him playing there against smaller teams. He put some crosses into the box (which costa missed) and added to the wide play of our team. Barcelona, bayern and madrid use even more attack minded players who can cross like alba, Alaba and marcelo so why can't we have ours.

dimmas, killer1257 and Stats like this