Post-season review - Chelsea 2013/14

BlueLion.

Success or Failure?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel the season went? Rate out of 5...

• 1/5 - a terrible season, we fell well short of expectations.
    • 2/5 - not a great season. Some positives but overall a disappointment.
    • 3/5 - average. Not bad for a team in transition but would have liked some silverware nonetheless!
    • 4/5 - good. A positive blueprint for the future has been laid, and there were some famous wins as well (6-0 vs Arsenal, 2-0 vs PSG, etc.)
    • 5/5 - exceeding expectations! I didn't think we'd come close to achieving what we did! Bring on next season!

You're not getting my point. You asked the difference between AVB's results and Jose's results, and I just pointed out that we were on a great run a few games before the CP loss.

Ah right I see sorry yh that is understandable and clearly right. I thought you were using the run as success example, which is just wrong imo.

Who? City? yeh fair enough but Liverpool? The club that was in crisis a few months back and had to bring like 2 youngsters to the match against us because of injuries?

Liverpool had last season to build the team the meneger wanted. Remind me where they ended up last may? And then see what it brought them in the scheme of things.

And as for players - you've named a grand total of 11 men, and one of them is not worth mentioning. And then people wonder why players look tired and why we're not running away with the league. 11 (I'd say 13) relyable players to play 60+ games in a season - that's worse than Liverpool, Arsenal and MU. We're talking about Liverpool's short bench - and our bench is?

Liverpool had last season to build the team the meneger wanted. Remind me where they ended up last may? And then see what it brought them in the scheme of things.

And as for players - you've named a grand total of 11 men, and one of them is not worth mentioning. And then people wonder why players look tired and why we're not running away with the league. 11 (I'd say 13) relyable players to play 60+ games in a season - that's worse than Liverpool, Arsenal and MU. We're talking about Liverpool's short bench - and our bench is?

Oh so now we got to build our team in Jose's image for him to success? What if he decides to leave in 2 years because of whatever reason or getting sacked. Someone like Klopp takes over and start to demand his players too, we are gonna 'rebuild' again?

Our bench is up there along with the best in BPL, like I said again only MU and City can possibly claim they have a better team:

Bench:

Mark(great GK over the years for Fulham, not even needed anyway)

Torres(yh he is shit but his name still up there)

Ba(goal machine for Newcastle when Arsenal got fricking Sonogo as back up)

Lampard(1 of the best in BPL history, old but could still do good for lower clubs)

Cole( still 1 of the best fullback around)

Schurrle(German international, the team that have the likes of Reus, Gotze...etc)

Mikel(shit also but again not really needed to make a difference)

Point me which team got a better bench? City and MU are the only 2 I can think of. Pool who needed our own Moses to fill it for them.

What? this season is a failure even if we get to CL final and lose and end up trophy less. TROPHY IS THE BAROMETER OF SUCCESS DUDE. Agreed just happened to be the 3 lost in the CRUCIAL PERIOD. It is like that 07-08 season all over again, just a draw to Wigan to end our title hope and a CL Final lost. Guess that season was a success too right because we came close in both competitions?

:lol:

Seriously???!!!

In 2007-08 we were one of the best squads in the world. It was a 2 horse race in PL and the CL was dominated by PL teams showing the class of the squads.

We had players in their prime. Players like essien, makelele, JT, DD, FL, Ballack, cole etc. These players could literally WALK into any team in the world. ANY BLOODY TEAM.

Tell me how many of iva, JT, gc, azpi, luiz, rambo, oscar, willian, hazard, torres could get into the first 11 of bayern, barca, RM or even psg. Or even man city for that matter. Our squad is not even the best squad in PL by a mile, lets not even talk about other teams.

Our best striker is a 20 year old boy playong for everton. That goes on to say a lot about our squad right now does not it.

Comparing our 2007-08 season to this season is just :lol:

Like you said,

Naaa not winning the league is fine for me, I think City was always gonna do it.

So I am confused, if u ALWAYS thought city was gonna win the PL, did u really expect US to win the CL ahead of bayern, barca, RM, city etc.

If not then in your opinion should we have PRIORITIZED THE CARLING CUP and FA CUP since trophies are the only barometer of success. :lol:

Fact- winning a trophy by winning the EL <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<reaching the quarter finals of CL.

So trophies are NOT the only barometer of success. Not unless the team and squad is actually good enough to win one.

ATM are having a brilliantly successful season. Even if they ddon't win the liga or the CL. Fact.

:lol:

Seriously???!!!

In 2007-08 we were one of the best squads in the world. It was a 2 horse race in PL and the CL was dominated by PL teams showing the class of the squads.

We had players in their prime. Players like essien, makelele, JT, DD, FL, Ballack, cole etc. These players could literally WALK into any team in the world. ANY BLOODY TEAM.

Tell me how many of iva, JT, gc, azpi, luiz, rambo, oscar, willian, hazard, torres could get into the first 11 of bayern, barca, RM or even psg. Or even man city for that matter. Our squad is not even the best squad in PL by a mile, lets not even talk about other teams.

Our best striker is a 20 year old boy playong for everton. That goes on to say a lot about our squad right now does not it.

Comparing our 2007-08 season to this season is just :lol:

Like you said,

Naaa not winning the league is fine for me, I think City was always gonna do it.

So I am confused, if u ALWAYS thought city was gonna win the PL, did u really expect US to win the CL ahead of bayern, barca, RM, city etc.

If not then in your opinion should we have PRIORITIZED THE CARLING CUP and FA CUP since trophies are the only barometer of success. :lol:

Fact- winning a trophy by winning the EL <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<reaching the quarter finals of CL.

So trophies are NOT the only barometer of success. Not unless the team and squad is actually good enough to win one.

ATM are having a brilliantly successful season. Even if they ddon't win the liga or the CL. Fact.

Yeh do you think that 07-08 season was a success then? do you want us to do that regularly? Being nearly there but it is fine because it is close to 'success'?

Reaching QF OF CL FOR WHAT, OMG who the hell cares? In years they will take about Chelsea being champion of 2 Europe competitions consecutively while no one give a shit about Apoel in 2 years if they reach QF(which they did like 2-3 years ago). Yh I think the better phrase would be Getting knocked out in CL QF>>>>>>>>Winning trophy

Atletico are different, just like Liverpool this season are different to us. Their aim was top 4, now they are top. That is success. Our aim was as many trophy as possible, ended up with none so it is a failure. Barca might get like 85 points and still not win the league, might reach semi of CL and might not win the league. That will be a failure of a season even though it is damn great for many clubs, why? BECAUSE THEY GOT THE BEST PLAYERS IN THE WORLD. Same with our, having the 2nd/3rd best squad in the league and not challenging for title is damn shame.

Oh so now we got to build our team in Jose's image for him to success? What if he decides to leave in 2 years because of whatever reason or getting sacked. Someone like Klopp takes over and start to demand his players too, we are gonna 'rebuild' again?

Our bench is up there along with the best in BPL, like I said again only MU and City can possibly claim they have a better team:

Bench:

Lampard(1 of the best in BPL history, old but could still do good for lower clubs)

Schurrle(German international, the team that have the likes of Reus, Gotze...etc)

Point me which team got a better bench? City and MU are the only 2 I can think of. Pool who needed our own Moses to fill it for them.

You're looking at the names, not at the quality. On paper Lampard, Torres, Ba and Schurrle are good. Or were good some years ago and therefore for some they by default constitute a good squad, regardless of theur current ability.

That's the problem of many fans, not only you.

It's the same when you say "Barca have Messi so they should be champions". On paper - yes, in reality with the problems the team has from top to bottom they're most likely not winning anything and rightly so, but people like you will still say that they failed ignoring the fact that this season they're overachieving massively already.

You're looking at the names, not at the quality. On paper Lampard, Torres, Ba and Schurrle are good. Or were good some years ago and therefore for some they by default constitute a good squad, regardless of theur current ability.

That's the problem of many fans, not only you.

Not just on paper but actually they are better than players on most benches. You would rather have Ba or Sonogo? Schurrle or Lamela? unless you are telling me the likes of Harry Kane are actually better than Torres, Lampard...etc

Yeh do you think that 07-08 season was a success then? do you want us to do that regularly? Being nearly there but it is fine because it is close to 'success'?

Reaching QF OF CL FOR WHAT, OMG who the hell cares? In years they will take about Chelsea being champion of 2 Europe competitions consecutively while no one give a shit about Apoel in 2 years if they reach QF(which they did like 2-3 years ago). Yh I think the better phrase would be Getting knocked out in CL QF>>>>>>>>Winning trophy

Atletico are different, just like Liverpool this season are different to us. Their aim was top 4, now they are top. That is success. Our aim was as many trophy as possible, ended up with none so it is a failure. Barca might get like 85 points and still not win the league, might reach semi of CL and might not win the league. That will be a failure of a season even though it is damn great for many clubs, why? BECAUSE THEY GOT THE BEST PLAYERS IN THE WORLD. Same with our, having the 2nd/3rd best squad in the league and not challenging for title is damn shame.

Did u even read what I wrote? The 07-08 season can't be compared to this season cos WE WERE EXPECTED TO WIN TROPHIES THAT SEASON. That season was not a success cos we should have won the trophy.

This season you yourself said that u dint expect us to win the PL, did you then expect us to win the CL then?

Answer this, would you have wanted chelsea to get knocked out in the group stages so as to win the EL again??? Would you have wanted us to prioritize the carling cup and fa cup over cl and PL cos realistically we had a far better chance of winning those. Would u????

Who the FUCK cares what people will be saying in the coming years??? If you are so bothered of acting as a big shot among your friends and groups by boasting about your clubs' trophy winning achievements then you might be in for a rough ride here. As a fan of CFC, I would want us to qyalify to the next round of CL knockout stages rather than win the EL. I don't give a shit who will be saying what!!!!!

And :lol: at the latter part of your post. Our manager until 30 league matches said that our main objective is top 4. We are 2 points off the top of the table and even if u say city win both their games in hand, we are 4 points off them with 6 games left. And u think we are not challenging for the title. So by your logic, is RM in thw title race or are they not challenging too since they are 1 point further off the top than we are.

Did u even read what I wrote? The 07-08 season can't be compared to this season cos WE WERE EXPECTED TO WIN TROPHIES THAT SEASON. That season was not a success cos we should have won the trophy.

This season you yourself said that u dint expect us to win the PL, did you then expect us to win the CL then?

Answer this, would you have wanted chelsea to get knocked out in the group stages so as to win the EL again??? Would you have wanted us to prioritize the carling cup and fa cup over cl and PL cos realistically we had a far better chance of winning those. Would u????

Who the FUCK cares what people will be saying in the coming years??? If you are so bothered of acting as a big shot among your friends and groups by boasting about your clubs' trophy winning achievements then you might be in for a rough ride here. As a fan of CFC, I would want us to qyalify to the next round of CL knockout stages rather than win the EL. I don't give a shit who will be saying what!!!!!

And :lol: at the latter part of your post. Our manager until 30 league matches said that our main objective is top 4. We are 2 points off the top of the table and even if u say city win both their games in hand, we are 4 points off them with 6 games left. And u think we are not challenging for the title. So by your logic, is RM in thw title race or are they not challenging too since they are 1 point further off the top than we are.

I didn't expect us to win the CL/BPL but expecting SOME SORT OF CUP. Getting knocked out to fking Sunderland and City(not having a single shot on target) is UNACCEPTABLE.

Oh I know who wouldn't want to be in CL? I meant you think getting knocked out of CL at QF is better than winning Europa?

It means fk all what Jose says, he says craps all the time and sometime he did it on purpose to play 'mind games'. HAHAHAHA you still believe the words of a dude who said he would give Mata and Kevin chances? Or that we wouldn't sign Willian? He constantly talks crap(which is a good idea) to get the pressure off our team. So you think when he said we were aiming for top 4 he meant it? If that is the case even Harry Redknapp could do that, why bother paying him 17m(recent reports) up there with the best in the world to achieve top 4?

Yeh Madrid is having a failure of a season so far because they won nothing yet. It doesn't matter if they win 90% of their games left. That 1-2 games could be semi of CL and if they lose them it means failure. Yh 4 points off them with 6 games left, we got to play Pool too so effectively 5. Also don't forget superior goal difference

I didn't expect us to win the CL/BPL but expecting SOME SORT OF CUP. Getting knocked out to fking Sunderland and City(not having a single shot on target) is UNACCEPTABLE.

Oh I know who wouldn't want to be in CL? I meant you think getting knocked out of CL at QF is better than winning Europa?

It means fk all what Jose says, he says craps all the time and sometime he did it on purpose to play 'mind games'. HAHAHAHA you still believe the words of a dude who said he would give Mata and Kevin chances? Or that we wouldn't sign Willian? He constantly talks crap(which is a good idea) to get the pressure off our team. So you think when he said we were aiming for top 4 he meant it? If that is the case even Harry Redknapp could do that, why bother paying him 17m(recent reports) up there with the best in the world to achieve top 4?

Yeh Madrid is having a failure of a season so far because they won nothing yet. It doesn't matter if they win 90% of their games left. That 1-2 games could be semi of CL and if they lose them it means failure. Yh 4 points off them with 6 games left, we got to play Pool too so effectively 5. Also don't forget superior goal difference

So let me get this straight. U are classifying our season as a failure cos we failed to beat sunderland in a carling cup match and cos we lost to a massively better team in city at etihad in an fa cup match. :lol:

I seriously can't counter that. :lol:

Let me try this way. City have won the carling cup. Yet if they fail to win the PL, is their season a success?

Getting knocked out of qf of cl means that you qualifiwd foe the qf. Hence it is a massively bigger achievement than winning europa.

Huh??? What? The game against pool gives us the chance to overtake them if both the teams keep winning their games. Also city have games against pool, evrrton and soton left.

I gave the example of RM to counter your "we are not challenging for the title and hence it is a shame" argument. We are 2 points off the top and somehow u think we are not challenging for the title. That was the point.

So let me get this straight. U are classifying our season as a failure cos we failed to beat sunderland in a carling cup match and cos we lost to a massively better team in city at etihad in an fa cup match. :lol:

I seriously can't counter that. :lol:

Let me try this way. City have won the carling cup. Yet if they fail to win the PL, is their season a success?

Getting knocked out of qf of cl means that you qualifiwd foe the qf. Hence it is a massively bigger achievement than winning europa.

Huh??? What? The game against pool gives us the chance to overtake them if both the teams keep winning their games. Also city have games against pool, evrrton and soton left.

I gave the example of RM to counter your "we are not challenging for the title and hence it is a shame" argument. We are 2 points off the top and somehow u think we are not challenging for the title. That was the point.

OK so you basically just confirmed my idea that you think CL QF is better than a trophy. Precisely why you think this season is a success. Getting to the semi of CL and lose or winning the Capital One cup? I know which one I would choose.

5 points off effectively because City's 2 games in hand are really against Villa and Sunderland at home, both of which they will probably rape them. We are basically 3 points behind Pool now cause of our goal difference so even if they draw 1 of the last 6 matches they could still finish above us if they win the rest.

All we need is a 2-0 victory to go through. Wonder how many might change their drastic opinions after that...

It changes nothing unless we get to semi and getting knocked out because of the other team's pure class and not mistakes like yesterday.

Liverpool seem to have built one with way less money and within a year whats Mou's excuse. Liverpool should not be better than us considering the money Mou spent not only in the summer but in January too.

Key word, it took rodgers 1 year and playing in only one competition with 1 week rest for all players every week to get to where they are now.

Even city, if we add up the summer and winter spneding we have actually outspent city but they have a better team than us with a worse manager.

They bought more wisely, like PSG

fernadinho >> all our cm's except matic

Negredo and jovetic >> all our strikers

Navas >> all our Am's except hazard

We also sold and our net spending is less than city

I wasn't expecting success this season because I'm one of those that recognized the glaring flaws in the team right from the start and those flaws were big enough to hinder us from winning any major title.

However what I expected were a shift away from the dire, boring, uncreative football that we have become accustomed to since 2010/11 season and integration of some youth/youngsters into the 1st team and he has failed in both regard. if this season was suppose to be a transition then you have to ask, transition from what and towards what. what is the end goal.

OK so you basically just confirmed my idea that you think CL QF is better than a trophy. Precisely why you think this season is a success. Getting to the semi of CL and lose or winning the Capital One cup? I know which one I would choose.

5 points off effectively because City's 2 games in hand are really against Villa and Sunderland at home, both of which they will probably rape them. We are basically 3 points behind Pool now cause of our goal difference so even if they draw 1 of the last 6 matches they could still finish above us if they win the rest.

Great dude. Keep hoping for a carling cup. I am sure you can buy that for a pound or so. :lol: meanwhile, I ll want my club playing and trying to win the biggest tournament.

City have to drop 5 points in 8 games. With games against everton, pool, and soton left.

As for pool, if we win all our remaining 6 games, we finish above pool. That's the simplest equation for u.

Also a 2-0 win over psg at the bridge is not something, u ll say is IMPOSSIBLE.

Bench:

Liverpool don't need a bench if they play once a week so stop using bench as the mark for them.

They have the best 2 finishers in the league and are exactly where they are supposed to be. Remember who had the best finishers in the league last season? Manutd(rooney and RVP)

Remember who had the best finishers in the league 2 seasons ago? Mancity (aguero, tevez, balloteli)

On top of this advantage liverpool are playing in only one competition and having a full week rest with no fatigue affecting old gerrard and suarez and you still don't see how things are in their favour??

I also like how your adding some gloss to torres as our bench option :doh: