Nemanja Matic

.Cee

Yes we missed opportunities to kill the game - and potentially the tie - in the first 30 minutes, but it's really simple: the more opportunities you create the more likely you are to score. And I feel we really missed Matic (and Luiz in midfield) because they'd have been much better at playing passes through the ridiculously large gaps between and beyond the Galatasaray defence than the woeful Ramires-Lampard pivot even if it's not their speciality.

https://twitter.com/BabiLira_/status/441206740797763584

and after he does all that, he can pick a pass, he can start a counter, he can make a smooth transition and he can have a screamer out of the box. Because what's the point of recovering possession if we give it away with a pass, if we kill a counter or if we do nothing from that?

Seriously, this guys is invaluable for us. One of our best signings in the last five years.

edit: FIXED :D

and after he does all that, he can pick a pass, he can start a counter, he can make a smooth transition and he can have a screamer out of the box. Because what's the point of recovering possession if we give it away with a pass, if we kill a counter or if we do nothing from that?

Seriously, this guys is invaluable for us. One of our best signings in the last five years.

That says Vidic.

That says Vidic.

ahuhuahuahuahuahuahuahuahuahua

I just woke up!

but here you go:

http://www.whoscored.com/Players/38128

he has an average of 10,2 defensive actions per match between clearances, tackles, interceptions and shots blocked. Still a legend defending and making profit from it. And those numbers include two matches as a sub, not full matches like all those defenders normally have, otherwise he'd have more. I'll back in a few minutes with the average of only matches he's played 90 minutes, to make it fair.

It's still more JT actions in a match - which is insane, because I'd expect a defender to have more defensive actions, especially because there are matches they have 12390432094 clearances in the box.

edit:

Just did the calculations, here's the breakdown of them

tackles - total: 17; average 3,4

clearances - total: 23; average 4,6

interceptions - total: 20; average 4.

blocks: I couldn't find :P

His total average is 12 actions (without counting blocks, as the others have) when he plays 90 minutes like those guys. So he recovers possessions for us a lot, more than all those defenders except Vidic :P, and he does something useful from it instead of wasting it or killing our counter-attacks.

Fantastic player. I can't believe he was this good. He just needs a more technical and mobile partner by his side to see his full qualities.

Just imagine how utterly dominant a side we'd be with just two additions to the squad. A Kroos/Modric/Gündogan type next to Matic and a top class striker. We'd be right there with Bayern, Madrid, and Barca then.

Apparently just played fantastically for Serbia. Too bad he played the full 90 though.

Not that hard against us to be honest! Especially when he has the likes of the midfield maestro Glen Whelan to contend with!

Trust me when I say, he didn't have to work very hard...especially when we put the ball in our own net! :doh: